Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

16 hours ago, Galathrax said:

Sorry for filling this place with basic questions today, but I had another one.

No need to apologize; I would say this is the right thread for "basic" questions. Besides, better to ask a question than to remain confused, in my opinion, even you do eventually figure it out on your own.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:29 AM, Marlamir said:

if im understand this correctly you trying to replace weapon. Try to wrote this: bfg9000 replaces bfg9000 instead, it should work.

This is what I have in decorate.

actor newbfg9000 : bfg9000 replaces bfg9000

The texture might be duplicated, that is, there might be 2 or more textures with the same name in your TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2. Open TEXTURE1/2 in SLADE3 and find and delete the superfluous textures.

14 hours ago, Zemini said:

This is what I have in decorate.

actor newbfg9000 : bfg9000 replaces bfg9000

You also need to define new player class and add this new weapon to a weapon slot. Look here

How do I make a voodoo doll do things? I built a corridor with a scrolling floor that brings it over walkover linedefs, but now every floor in the map is scrolling. 

@Snikle Give the line that causes the scrolling and the voodoo closet sectors their own tag. Make sure that tag is not used in the playing area.

Without looking at the map, there is a good chance that the sectors surrounding the door prevent it from raising completely. Alternatively it could be an issue with the "orientation" of the linedefs which makes it such that you can't activate the door. If those two things are not the issue, then I'll have a look, I promise.

EDIT: After looking at the map, it is an issue with the orientation of the linedef. The activateable side of a linedef is always the front side, which is illustrated by a small "nose" in the middle of the linedef. That "nose" is where the frontside is, and any switch you ever want to activate requires that the frontside can be "reached".

You can fix this issue by going into "linedef mode" (default "L"), hovering over the linedef you want to "flip", and when it's highlighted, you just press "F" (default for flip linedef).

wire.jpg.05c6040acbbbc6f8ceeb86c395ee038c.jpg

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

"fix"

Thanks! Somebody already pmed me about this actually. The noobness :P

8 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Thanks! Somebody already pmed me about this actually. The noobness :P

It is an oversight that can happen from time to time (No one is safe). It's why I kinda have developed the habit of making it such that whatever line it is that the player sees first is viewed from its front side, but still stuff happens or doesn't work right away. So don't worry about it. ;-)

Yes, use A_TakeInventory in the weapon's Raise or Ready animation to remove the other weapon.

Could someone help me understand whats causing this flat weirdness? I downloaded the Baker's Legacy Heretic / Hexen texture resource, converted the flats to Doom format (leaving their palette the same), and put them between F_START and F_END as one does. In Slade, they look fine. However, ingame (and in Doom Builder) they look like this. Totally messed up.

2018-04-29 19_49_53-Edit Sector.png

@whirledtsar I am assuming you used SLADE3 to import the flats. Assuming you did- you need to ensure that the graphic lump has been converted to a Doom Flat. You can do this by right clicking on the flat and selected "Graphics -> Convert To" (or something similar. Typing this from memory). Then from here selecting Doom (Flat) and then converting.

Hope this helps!

5 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

@whirledtsar I am assuming you used SLADE3 to import the flats. Assuming you did- you need to ensure that the graphic lump has been converted to a Doom Flat. You can do this by right clicking on the flat and selected "Graphics -> Convert To" (or something similar. Typing this from memory). Then from here selecting Doom (Flat) and then converting.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I had converted it to Doom graphic rather than Doom flat.

what i need to do to make player start in crouch and after he walk down of the wall hole he go off crouch.I think if i just put the player start to smaller sector so he gets stuck. hope you understand what i mean.

I understand what you mean, but I don't think GZDoom has any artificial way to make the player crouch. Try your idea anyway, if it works, good for you, if it doesn't, I think nothing else would help.

Edited by scifista42

I think it would be possible to start the player actor off in a crouch by using DECORATE to alter the thing height and use states to invert the existing "standing" and "crouching" states, but that would be difficult as it is and, conversely, the player proper would have to "crouch" (using crouch or +crouch) in order to stand, assuming this can be done, which would raise further issues, as you can imagine.

Barring that, your next best course of action would be to either do what you already suggested or to start the player in front of a gap they have to crouch to get into.

@scifista42 That's suck, i look on wiki and looks like there is really no way how do it so i think i will go the easiest way and make hom or non transluecent deep water with proper textures to achieve at least the effect that you crouching.

@Aquila Chrysaetos this is unnecessarily hard. I dont think i should edit player in decorate only because of one small start area. also this solution would be unnecessarily irritating for most player.

Thank you guys for your help

With the ability to make proper flashlights and view tilting and more intelligent AI, I wouldn't be surprised. I imagine you could create an auto-crouch type script using a function which checks for ceiling height. Since I use GZD 2.4.0, I wouldn't know anything about it.

I search on wiki if acs script can do this and maybe how you @Aquila Chrysaetos wrote, write script that will change player height if he will come across smaller sector? Anyway what about that zscript? i didnt know much about zscript.

I am sure (with a 19% margin of error) that ACS cannot force the player actor into its crouching state based solely on checking for relative sector height without it being a long, drawn out, and (likely) complex device prone to breaking at the first opportunity.

However, ACS is a derivative of C++, and if ZScript is as well, then I'm much more confident (about a 6% margin of error) that it could do the same thing with many fewer problems.

As for what ZScript is, @Marlamir, here's a nice juicy link to the reliable ZDoom wiki: https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZScript

Of course, as always when writing code, you'd need to test it relentlessly, but if/when it got working, you could easily apply it wherever you wanted.

Now, for ZScript help, the best place to go would very likely be the ZDoom forums.

thank you for the link. seems like this problem cannot be solved. If there will be solution it will be mixture of decorate and scripts but it would lead into many more problems which is very shitty solution. for me the best solution is if someone want to do it, he should made some kind of 3d walkable or deep water like sector to at least achieved the feeling of automatic crouching

So, it seems like I'm still having loose understanding of colors in doom. Is it correct, that modern doom ports can support colors, which are not in original doom palette? I decided to test this out, and used colors which are not present in original doom, and it seems like there are no problems at all. I didn't notice color shift in textures/sprites/weapons or anything of that sort.

Screenshot_Doom_20180504_213040.png

This purple color actually is in the original Doom palette.

Some ports indeed have truecolor rendering. Others do not. Whether you can use truecolor graphics in your wad depends on which ports you want your wad to be compatible with.

19 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

This purple color actually is in the original Doom palette.

Some ports indeed have truecolor rendering. Others do not. Whether you can use truecolor graphics in your wad depends on which ports you want your wad to be compatible with.

Ah, now I see, thanks for answering. Welp, I guess I will try to use only original palette as much as possible for new items/textures/monsters. And yeah, I probably should use much more distinguishing colors for this picture to present my point. 

In UDMF, when I set the z-axis to the player so that they're floating upon start, when I load the map, the player is at the floor level. Why is this?