Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

The Age of Hell: FPS game for GZDoom - DEMO OUT

public holiday today so i've managed to lay down another 10k linedefs. Some development shots showing progressive changes

Megawad_at_2018_04_23_22_08_02_924_R2787

Megawad_at_2018_04_24_23_22_26_257_R2787

Megawad_at_2018_04_25_21_55_57_913_R3018

39 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

i want a surprise in the level 30

I've been thinking about level 30 a bit. I don't want to do an Icon fight. There aren't many that are good and when they are bad, they are really bad. But there needs to be something different about it. A while away yet so I have a bit of time to think about it.

I also want to do something crazy for the secret levels. Open to ideas.

You are master!!! I like hell-gothic style maps :)))

15 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

I've been thinking about level 30 a bit. I don't want to do an Icon fight. There aren't many that are good and when they are bad, they are really bad. But there needs to be something different about it. A while away yet so I have a bit of time to think about it.

I also want to do something crazy for the secret levels. Open to ideas.

1. You use new big boss. You have two option to make this:

- Create dehack.txt and all compatible are happy. But dehack is not easy to understand how it work and create it... 

- Another way, you create custom boss on decorate.txt. It more easy but boom compatible will feel unhappy. On boom compatible you can make walktrought/demo.

2. You use slaughterfest style. 10.000 Monsters, chaos etc...

3. Some new icon of sin gameplay :)))) but it will bit boring.

1 hour ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

1. You use new big boss. You have two option to make this:

- Create dehack.txt and all compatible are happy. But dehack is not easy to understand how it work and create it... 

- Another way, you create custom boss on decorate.txt. It more easy but boom compatible will feel unhappy. On boom compatible you can make walktrought/demo.

2. You use slaughterfest style. 10.000 Monsters, chaos etc...

3. Some new icon of sin gameplay :)))) but it will bit boring.

Or a combination of all of three.

A new big boss that takes killing a lot of lesser spawn to get to, that is in a room with icon of sin spawners. So now he has to deal with the boss and constantly spawning minions right after killing tons of monsters.

5 hours ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

Or a combination of all of three.

A new big boss that takes killing a lot of lesser spawn to get to, that is in a room with icon of sin spawners. So now he has to deal with the boss and constantly spawning minions right after killing tons of monsters.

A new boss is unlikely unless I use an already created asset, or someone wants to help. I've got a big enough mountain to climb to make the maps let alone make custom enemies. But we'll see. 

I've had an idea for an icon variant map for a long time that I've never implemented. No spoilers though ;p And it will be MASSIVE in terms of monster count. I'm already crossing 1000 mobs on each of the first few levels and I'm going to do my best to have the difficulty scale throughout the wad.

4 hours ago, jointritual said:

^ Think it’s only gzdoom compatible if I’m not mistaken? Which is good if just to troll the purists.

Definitely gzdoom. Historically I've always used Zdoom in hexen format and I've now switched to GZDoom in UDMF. Too many tricks to pass up. And UDMF is so fucking awesome. Being able to scale/align texuters in the editor without having to do it via ACS script makes life very easy. And being able to control brightness levels of specific textures/flats as well. I used to spend a lot of time writing long Open scripts to set all these things at the beginning of the level which can now spent creating even more unnecessary detail! Fun!

7 hours ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

You will like this wad then >:)

I would respectfully suggest that the race-against-time factor of an Icon fight (or anything similar with spawning monsters) would work counter to the strengths of your lovely mapping style.  Half the pleasure of playing through maps like yours is going to be the ability to take a breath and take it all in-- maybe after one's killed a thousand or two monsters, but eventually. ;)  Any sort of time-pressure gimmick that only ends with the end of the map is going to work at cross purposes to that.

1 hour ago, jerrysheppy said:

I would respectfully suggest that the race-against-time factor of an Icon fight (or anything similar with spawning monsters) would work counter to the strengths of your lovely mapping style.  Half the pleasure of playing through maps like yours is going to be the ability to take a breath and take it all in-- maybe after one's killed a thousand or two monsters, but eventually. ;)  Any sort of time-pressure gimmick that only ends with the end of the map is going to work at cross purposes to that.

Nicely put. I will say that I have found the vast majority of icon fights uninspiring so I am inclined to avoid them. If I do use it, it will not be with the standard set up with a smallish arena that you are locked into and you are forced to fire rockets one at a time through a tiny hole. There's been enough of that.

A new boss is unlikely unless I use an already created asset, or someone wants to help. I've got a big enough mountain to climb to make the maps let alone make custom enemies. But we'll see. 

I see that you want use only Gzdoom compatible. Also in way by decorate.txt. I have on experience create such custom bosses. You can watch these bosses on my WAD "veryhard" on level 7. On my WAD you can read decorate.txt how it written and understand.

In this page you can download custom monsters (with decorate.txt) and place all data into WAD (with SLADE). After that you need on doombuilder just add new thing with number of the custom monsters (read from decoarte.txt)

https://realm667.com/index.php/en/beastiary-mainmenu-136-69621/doom-style-mainmenu-105-73113

You can make one of these custom monster bigger, that it looks like boss :)

If you have any difficults, you can ask me or forum :)

@CrazyDoomguyCheers. I've already downloaded a whole heap from realm 667 so I've got that covered. Unfortunately nothing in there is epic enough for a end of wad boss. I'm cautious about throwing too many custom monsters around, I'm mainly trying to use them as 'flavour' around the traditional monsters.

Thanks for the offer of help, I'll keep that in mind

16 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Nicely put. I will say that I have found the vast majority of icon fights uninspiring so I am inclined to avoid them. If I do use it, it will not be with the standard set up with a smallish arena that you are locked into and you are forced to fire rockets one at a time through a tiny hole. There's been enough of that.

I agree that is not suitable for your wad.

Something more along the lines of Shai'tans Luck map30, or Stomper Map29 is what I'm thinking.

So I've hit a bit of a mental block on how to finish map 3. I need to do some pre-planning on how it all fits together. But I couldn't be arsed doing that so I started level 4 which I already have a pretty comprehensive level plan.

I started with the best intentions to try and use textures that i don't usually go to. Still with a hellish theme but more tech/silver/shiny. I'll be honest, it made my head hurt.

Sooooo I did this instead. And it felt good

Screenshot_Doom_20180429_224951.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180429_225012.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180429_224926.png

Megawad_at_2018_04_29_21_36_22_719_R3018

There will be blood

Updated the main page with level 4 status/inspiration. I still need to update level 3 on the main page but first, I must draw lines

Man this map has been fun to make. Progress has been oh so sweet. A bit of copy paste admittedly but a) the results have been pretty stunning and b) I'm addicted to symmetry. And I've made sure the game play varies, even in visually similar areas. The way the map progresses is quite non-linear and should have a very free flowing combat style (hopefully).

Megawad_at_2018_05_01_22_34_36_904_R3018

Pretty good effort for 3 days work. (Silver lining to being off work sick but not bed ridden)

So the Northern architecture is pretty much complete (a few tweaks here and there). Some gameplay to implement (read monsters) and the last major bit of design work is the final fight area.

Megawad_at_2018_05_02_21_06_55_111_R3018
Megawad_at_2018_05_02_21_04_53_641_R3018

I wont have time for mapping today but I am aiming to get map 4 finished tomorrow. Until then, here are some updated map 3 shots. This final area is still a work in progress

Screenshot_Doom_20180505_110933.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180505_110858.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180505_110820.png

Some people would complain about the symmetry in some of the shots but I’m not one of them, it’s great to see a black and red hell map done so well, the best colour scheme imo.

9 hours ago, jointritual said:

Some people would complain about the symmetry in some of the shots but I’m not one of them, it’s great to see a black and red hell map done so well, the best colour scheme imo.

This map has the highest degree of symmetry so far but I feel there is enough variance visually and definitely in game play so that it doesn't feel stale. This map is ... action packed shall we say. Red and black are definitely my favourites too. I am conscious of over using the same textures, particularly over 32 (potential) levels. Map 3's texture set was outside of my usual fare.

8 hours ago, Degree23 said:

Looking awesome. I hope this doesn't have too much in the way of custom monsters.

Cheers. I will admit that I do like custom monsters but I know that they are not everyone's cup of tea. It's one of the things I'll be asking for feedback on when I do the first playtest release at the end of June. In order to maintain the supremacy of the vanilla monster set I am limiting to a few custom monsters on each map that will hopefully be part of the overall theme of the map. These will also be used to add flavour to select encounters rather than being dumped en masse into the map. I will also be using them as mini/major bosses as that is one thing that vanilla Doom does feel lacking in. There are only so many cyber demons in the world 

On 2.05.2018 at 11:41 AM, Bridgeburner56 said:

So the Northern architecture is pretty much complete (a few tweaks here and there). Some gameplay to implement (read monsters) and the last major bit of design work is the final fight area.

Megawad_at_2018_05_02_21_06_55_111_R3018
Megawad_at_2018_05_02_21_04_53_641_R3018

Holy shit! It looks gorgeous! I like symetry, I like how complex it is, the color, amazing!

Gotta say I'm not really a fan of symmetry over an entire map or a too-huge area.  Yes, obviously a cathedral hall will have symmetry along an axis and so forth, and that's fine, but having the entire automap look like a symmetrical mandala at a large scale is sort of an 'ehhh' for me.   That said, it certainly doesn't seem like it'll be too much of a problem.

Oh my, I want it! Absolutely stunning work! I am jealous of your skill, and of the fact that this is sitting on your hard drive as we speak :)