Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skogsto09

No Rest For The Living Demos [-complevel 2]

MAP05 UV Max in 7:43

Spoiler

Actually a pretty damn good run. Mostly the latter half of it, at least. The first half was a bit sluggish with low ammo and sloppy infights. Quite a nice improvement from 8:24, though!

nerve05max743.zip

MAP04 UV Max in 4:09

Spoiler

A mildly annoying run for a good map. Rocket distribution is very important, and there's quite a bit of infight potential so times can vary due to those. Have to make sure you get the glitched secret, I had a run where I missed it that was also pretty good.

nerve04max409.zip

Full Game UV MAX in 42:44

Spoiler

Not the greatest run, but it's better than last time! There's not much to say about this run that hasn't been said in my IL run descriptions other than the whole game is done in one sitting. I do purposefully do MAP09 slowly to save up on rocket and cell ammo for MAP05/MAP06. I was a little shaky during MAP07/MAP08 and there were a lot of low health moments, but somehow I managed to survive.

MAP01 - 4:17 / 4:17
MAP02 - 3:10 / 7:27
MAP03 - 3:24 / 10:51
MAP04 - 4:29 / 15:20
MAP09 - 4:07 / 19:27
MAP05 - 7:25 / 26:52
MAP06 - 7:47 / 34:39
MAP07 - 6:21 / 41:00
MAP08 - 1:44 / 42:44  

nervemax4244.zip

The last failed attempt from the 1000 records month that I had here to finish.

MAP03 UV Fast in 3:14.43 (was 3:19.03 by Cyberdemon531, 2018)

Demo: nerve03f314.zip
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBUAy_6fNQ

Another MERCILESS map to play with Fast Monsters. Survival rate = 5%. Going below 3m10 should be doable, but I'm not sure about going below 3min. It might be possible, but it will surely be extraordinarily difficult.

MAP5 UV Fast in 9:55.51 (was 11:22.40 by Cyberdemon531, 2019)

Demo: nerve05f955.zip
Video: 

"Vivisection: Experimental surgery conducted on a living organism". What an unforgettable map, with quite an unforgettable name. This map is ruthless; it is composed of monsters-traps within monster-traps within monster-traps. With the added difficulty of fast monsters, the survival rate of this map is less than 2%.

Edited by Coincident : Re-upload of the zip demo file, which seems to have been corrupted somehow

On 4/14/2020 at 5:14 AM, Datacore85 said:

Map04, Nightmare in 56s

Map05, UVMax in 12min30

Map06, Nightmare in 1min02

Map01, Nightmare in 1min03

Map02, Nightmare in 1min55

Map03, Nightmare in 1min07

Map08, Nightmare in 1min08

NRFTL_04_NM_56.zip

NRFTL_05_UVMAX_1230.zip

NRFTL_06_NM_102.zip

NRFTL_01_NM_103.zip

NRFTL_02_NM_155.zip

NRFTL_03_NM_107.zip

NRFTL_08_NM_108.zip

Hey, would you be able to add textfiles to your demos with info on the runs? It seems your demos have not been uploaded to DSDA at all from when you started submitting (even last year's runs), so if you would like your runs uploaded please add textfiles going forward. If you want your demos historically uploaded, please feel free to find all of your past uploads to Doomworld, add the textfiles, and repost the uploads to the pinned DSDA thread, as we won't be able to find the edits that far back in the past. Here's an example format:

Doom Speed Demos Archive
https://dsdarchive.com/

IWAD:
PWAD:
Maps:      01
Skill:     4
Category:  Max 
Exe:       Doom2.exe

Time:      1:00

Author:

Comments:

Map 07 Reality! in 3:41.00 (no previous record)

Demo: nr07real341.zip
Video: 

A long and nerve-wrecking map to play on Reality! In this run I ended up killing many more monsters than I wanted. One way to reduce time in this run is by skipping kills; but doing so will make the survival rate of some areas drop too low. At least I skipped the Baron of Hell (in previous, slower runs, I didn't).

Map 01 Reality! in 0:57.09 (no previous record)

Demo: n301real057.zip
Video: 

Not very difficult. The amount of zombieman can provoke some unlucky resets, but not many. So this was not a frustrating run to achieve. I followed the current UV Speed / Pacifist record route (by Kraflab), with a few changes to make it viable for Reality!, namely killing more stuff; hitscanners mostly. Some imps and pinkies also had to die when they were on my way. But otherwise, what can save the most time here is NOT killing pinkies, and trying to run past them.

Map 08 Reality! in 1:08.94 (no previous record)

Demo: nr08real108.zip
Video: 

This run's not great because I got blocked by the imp when attempting the SR50 jump, but I succeeded on the 2nd jump, and achieved my time objective, so that's acceptable, I guess. Obviously the time can be lowered still by having better luck killing the starting imps so the way is clear, and you can start running for the first button sooner, by not being blocked by that imp of course, and by doing the pixel-setup on the wall faster, before the SR-50 jump.

Edited by Coincident

Map 02 Reality! in 1:35.94 (no previous record)

Demo: nr02real135.zip

Video: https://youtu.be/ptP46bQowWk

2nd hardest NRFTL map to finish without damage so far (1st being Baron's Banquet). Spent a long time routing and practicing. I had already gotten a 1m41 exit with a couple of mistakes, so I wanted to beat the 1m40 barrier. I did it in this run, which was quite lucky; especially the yellow-key-grab from underneath the feet of the hell knight! This time can obviously be beaten by killing even fewer enemies and taking bigger risks. But it might be extremely frustrating to do so.

Map 03 Reality! in 1:15.17 (no previous record)

Demo: nr03real115.zip

Video: 

Holy plasma cells, I made it. I thought this was where the No-Damage-NRFTL series would end. I guess it will probably end on the next map, or Vivisection. At the start, kill the shotgunners and imps before pressing the mancubus button; make everything in-fight and run outside. At lowering wall just before the exit, kill all the imps and the hell knight behind you before the wall lowers, so you can hide behind the pillars knowing that your back is safe. Then pray and make run for it.

Hello everyone.

The DSDA team has detected problems when playing back some demos of No Rest For The Living. We've added a few notes to the runs on DSDA to make it clear what is needed to play back those demos.

If you want to speedrun NRFTL, please do the following to avoid problems in the future:

1) Do not use Crispy Doom to record D2All runs; for the time being, I recommend using PrBoom+ instead.
2) Use nerve.wad to record any IL, or D2Alls that do not need the secret map (UV Speed, NoMo).
3) Use nervenew.wad to run D2Alls that need the secret map (UV Max, UV Fast). You can transform the nerve.wad (from Doom3 BFG-Edition) into nervenew.wad by running the patch that you can download from DSDA or just click here.

Why:

Spoiler

1) There's a NRFTL-specific patch of code to skip the intermission screen when entering Map 07. This code exists in PrBoom+, but does not exist in Crispy Doom, and can be the cause of desyncs. This means that a D2All demo recorded in PrBoom does not show the intermission screen, and the inputs start doing stuff in Map 7 immediately. However a D2All demo recorded in Crispy shows the intermission screen, and the player needs to use/fire first before their inputs start doing stuff in Map 7. Until Crispy Doom is patched with this code, stick to PrBoom+ for recording. To play back old demos that were already recorded with Crispy, you can use nerve_compat.wad (just rename your wad file and PrBoom+ will not recognize it anymore).
2) The official nerve.wad is for maps 1 - 8 + 9, and requires a secret exit on map 4; which doesn't work for doom2.
3) nervenew.wad re-orders the maps to 12 - 19 + 31, and uses a secret exit on map 15; which works for doom2.

Edited by Coincident

On 10/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, Andromeda said:

Wouldn't requiring NERVENEW.WAD for all runs be an easier solution?

It would, but nerve.wad is the official release. Anyway if people decide to use NERVENEW.WAD we'll accept that and just add notes.

In other news:
Map 04 Pacifist in 0:43.97 (was 0:46.57 by Kraflab)

Also beats existing UV Speed record of 0:44.?? by Cyberdemon531 (GZDoom)

Demo: nr04p043.zip

A juicy 0:43.97 for a sub 0:44 goal? I'll take it. Yes, this is my first ever pacifist run. Was practicing NRFTL Map 04 reality, when I realized I could do this, so here it is. Managed to use a movement trick that allows the Hell Knight to wake up early and open the door for me in advance; the only thing left is for the Baron of Hell to open the door before the yellow key. That happens totally randomly from what I know, so you'd just need to grind this run enough to get lucky with that door.

NRFTL NoMo Demo Pack

Map 01 in 25.54

Map 02 in 28.97

Map 03 in 41.69

Map 04 in 39.97

Map 04s in 55.63

Map 05 in 32.46

Map 06 in 40.89

Map 07 in 47.89

Map 08 in 53.71

Map 09 in 25.97

Took me 3 days to do this. Solid times for sure :) may think of doing more packs like these. I enjoyed it a lot. 

TomatoTom NRoPack.zip

Map 04 Reality! in 0:50.20 (no previous record)

Demo: nr04real050.zip

Video: 

A very RNG-dependent run. The strategy involves grabbing the invisibility right at the start to lower the chances of hitscanners hurting you, with the drawback of increasing the chances of random projectiles hitting you. So, in the end, it's still an RNG grind. Beyond the invisibility the rest of the strategy is the same as the Pacifist run: awake the Hell Knight in advance so it can open the door for you; and pray that the Baron does the same.

Map 06 Reality! in 0:50.17 (no previous record)

Demo: nr06real055.zip

Video: https://youtu.be/EDVKS-LbjLw

An interesting route for no damage; unlike UV Speed, you can't arch-vile jump and need to collect the yellow key first. Collecting the key is easy; the problem is returning back through the tight corridor. There's a big group of monsters just before the door, and when coming back they block the whole corridor. Sticking around to kill them isn't an option since an archvile is approaching from the back, and there are chaingunners around...

Map 05 UV Speed + Reality! in 6:47.69 (previous UV Speed with damage was 7:44 by Cyberdemon531)

Demo: nr05real647.zip

Video: 

Vivisection. 250 monsters. Zero damage. And finally, all NRFTL ILs are completed without damage. Discovered two new linedef-skips here; I *think* these skips were never performed before, correct me if I'm wrong. The first is a simple line-skip that prevents the monster closet to open after the blue door. To skip it, stand next to a pillar on the window across the room, line up the shotgun against the other pillar, turn 3 ticks to the left, and SR50 across.

However, the second one is a DOUBLE-linedef-skip. The red key is surrounded by 8 lines; and by moving in a single direction you step across 2 of those lines. By hugging the window on the entrance, turning to 45 degrees, and taking a single diagonal step AWAY from the window (it has to be LITERALLY ONE STEP: 1 slow-speed movement tick), you can then SR50 across the room and you'll grab the key and skip both lines in a single setup. "Finger-RNG" was a b**** here.

It took several hours experimenting random stuff to find this trick. I didn't think it was possible because of the way the lines are arranged. I tried mouse-gliding slowly towards the key, but I couldn't grab it from the edges without triggering the trap. I eventually gave up and settled for killing the incoming horde. But one day I pulled off the red key skip by accident, and I wasn't even recording a demo! I spent hours trying to reproduce the skip, but no setup seemed to work. I tried all the corners of the room, nothing worked. Eventually I realized that my only chance was to do it from where I had done by accident before: by the window.

After trying random ideas I managed to pull it off again! I had done a BAD SR50: I moved a tiny little bit away from the window with mouse-movement, before going in at full speed. So I went back to try again, knowing that hugging the window alone would never work. I quickly discovered that a slow-speed step away from the window did the trick; and since that can be done much more consistently than mouse-movement, I practiced and mastered that setup, until I could pull off the double-linedef-skip consistently enough to go try do some real runs.

What an adventure! I feel lucky that my random attempts at finding setups made me accidentally find the solutions. Even though this can be done fast, I'm very happy with this run and with these tricks.