Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Factory

Im new. what should i know or do?

Give $5 to the forum staples! ... or know when they're joking.

Welcome to Doomworld!

Memfis's advice is great for forum interaction.

On the playing Doom side of things: learn about source ports, demos, map formats and compatibility. 

On the mapping for Doom side: play lots of maps and study what makes them work well and look beautiful; learn the community standards. When you do begin to make maps search for answers first, but if you haven't found anything and genuinely put in effort, make a thread asking for help and people will be happy to help, and happier still if you genuinely listen to their advice. When you go to post a map, make a thread and be sure to post screenshots and credits, as well as map format, intended port and port tested on so people know what to play it on so stuff doesn't break halfway through a map, leaving players confused and frustrated. Also, shorter, quicker releases will typically garner you more feedback when you are new than slaving away on a huge project.

Welcome to DW :)

5 hours ago, Memfis said:

Once you're done writing a message, consider whether it really adds something to the discussion. If it's just a crappy joke, a meaningless remark, or an instant emotional response that you didn't think through, maybe you shouldn't submit it. Make sure you understood what the topic is about and that you're responding to people, not just talking about whatever you want. Try to be interesting and helpful.

Words to live by! 

2 hours ago, BradySRoberts said:

Ive been playing doom for years lol. i just haven't made an account here

Well welcome anyway. i've only been playing Doom since I turned 50yo. So not as long as others.

Just enjoy your stay and let others enjoy their stay.

Welcome to Doomworld! :)

8 hours ago, BradySRoberts said:

And how would I go about getting one?

Do something really notable in the forums, or something really stupid. Or something really notably stupid.

Your title will change as your post count increases, but to get a custom title you need do something extra special. And usually they're not that flattering.

Oh, and you can look at this thread from a new user a few days ago. Some good advice in there.

And welcome to the forums.

Edited by Jello