Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Can you create the Ames room in Doom?

Is it possible to reproduce the Ames room in Doom? Or does the engine lack some part of real world physics necessary for the effect to work? Has any other famous illusions been recreated by mappers?

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

Is it possible to reproduce the Ames room in Doom? Or does the engine lack some part of real world physics necessary for the effect to work? Has any other famous illusions been recreated by mappers?

Didn't @Linguica make something like this? I remember seeing a thread about a map similar to this.

So, this is the thread I was talking about. Not quite the same thing, since the Cornell Box is a 3D rendering thing, not an optical illusion thing.

Edited by Pegleg : Added link to Cornell Box thread.

It should be possible to recreate the Ames Room in a port that supports slopes. You'd also need specifically crafted textures to account for the distortion.

8 minutes ago, boris said:

It should be possible to recreate the Ames Room in a port that supports slopes. You'd also need specifically crafted textures to account for the distortion.

It looks like the illusion relies on not being able to look at the room with both eyes, thus removing the depth perception from the room. Hence, you would need to view it through a small hole in the wall or (I guess) with an eye patch on or anything else preventing you from using sight from both eyes at the same time.

Maybe you could make a mod to do something like this with Doomguy's perspective. A sequel to Pirate Doom, perhaps?

Well...

grafik.png.f805aebba84bd003b643417fd5362f66.png

grafik.png.2be664d2698a71802111f73cecfaef21.png

This is just a super quick test, so the illusion is far from perfect. But it goes in the right direction.

2 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

*pic*

Cheater! You used the Spider-mastermind!

4 hours ago, Memfis said:

You would need very carefully custom-fitted, high-resolution textures because using any sort of "normal" Doom textures would give the game away immediately. Even if you tried to fit the textures to the geometry, if the resolution is still like Doom texturing, the pixel scale will make the real construction of the room obvious.

I wonder if you could get around the texture issue by using monochrome textures, instead relying on sector lights to give the illusion that the room is a cube. And perhaps a scaled sprite for added effect.

14 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I wonder if you could get around the texture issue by using monochrome textures, instead relying on sector lights to give the illusion that the room is a cube. And perhaps a scaled sprite for added effect.

Except that part of the illusion is that as an object moves from one side of the room to the other, it would appear to grow or shrink.

So, ideally, you wouldn't just use two different sprites, but actually have one that would appear to change size as it moved "across" the room.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

So, ideally, you wouldn't just use two different sprites, but actually have one that would appear to change size as it moved "across" the room.

Looking at the visual example on the Wiki page, they have two ferns at either side of the room that the eye perceives as being the same size, but in fact are not. I was thinking you could replicate the effect by having two static map objects and scaling one accordingly.

Then for the full effect you'd pop an Imp in (perhaps give them a Patrol Route so they'd move about) to get the full growing/shrinking effect.

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

Looking at the visual example on the Wiki page, they have two ferns at either side of the room that the eye perceives as being the same size, but in fact are not. I was thinking you could replicate the effect by having two static map objects and scaling one accordingly.

Then for the full effect you'd pop an Imp in (perhaps give them a Patrol Route so they'd move about) to get the full growing/shrinking effect.

I was referring more to the guy walking back and forth in the example video. Actually, if you watch him walk, it's somewhat evident he's compensating for a slope to the floor. That would be one advantage to a patrolling imp, he wouldn't care about a slope.