Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

How did we get into Doom? ( a little about GEC's story)

Hello, friends. I wanted to tell you a litlle bit about how we met Doom, our first time was on Snes and I was the first to complete the first episode and my brother finished the remaining episodes of the game back the in 2008, I used to see it as a game more at least until we realized that it was released originally on PC and then we got it for our first computer (very old by the way) we didn't have neither internet nor USB ports. Well, some time after that we realized it was also released on the Play Station which was our very first console game; some more time and we found out it existed for Java platforms and I got it with my Nokia2730 Classic and I told myself: "I'm gonna try to get the game's graphics out", my first try was using Batch file but it was too slow to get the things done, I also tested with Borland but was too complicated to me and at the end I learned basic programming on Dev c++ which with it, I've extrated everything what you're gonna see right now. I didn't imagine I was going to be interested in data extrating that I ended up extrating everything Id's RPG related, PSXDOOM/FinalDOOM music and modifying Gzdoom and Gzdoom Builder with the illusion of playing Doom64 on my our, old PC but it wasn't possible due to our old graphic card until I got my current computer and I advanced much more with it, I updated my programs and so on. I'm also interested in haking PSXDoom in a more complete version, i've also checked the Snes Doom graphics out and more. Well, as I said I just wanted to tell you more about story and giving you an extra bonus, a video that wiil shows you the RPG graphics (maybe you'll see unused graphics) maps and others. Hope you like it, I also hoping interesting comments =)

Spoiler

Cool story, I too started out with the SNES Doom. It was my introduction to the game back when I was a kid in the 90's. There was a time when you could go to the video store and rent VHS tapes or SNES games. I used to rent the little red cartridge and play it. I did not play Doom on the PC until about 2003 and the strange thing for me was that I had no sound on an old desktop that was stripped of a sound card. Started out with Doom95 too, which I would love to hear and trade any horror stories from anyone else who ran that program for years with it's weird freeze ups and random crashes. 

I'm still wondering why those unused Kira Morgan's sprites, was that a possibility of facing her??

One of the textures resembles to one found in Doom 2016; and it's funny thing to see the Harbinger of Doom from Wolfenstein RPG is bigger in size than the one of Doom 2 rpg.

The oldest memory I can remember playing Doom is with that port called Doom95 on PC, I had fun even has a four years old kid.

My earliest memory of Doom was sometime around the Christmas of 1993. My older brother installed it on the family computer and we spent countless hours mowing demons down with space shotguns and chainsaws. Our sister would watch with disapproval as zombiemen and imps would go splat from the rocket launcher. Doom has earned a spot in my heart. Oh those were the days.

*sheds tears*

Ok stop being a sentimental bastard!

Edited by Ex Oblivione

It was mid-June 1994, I was in my teens, and it was my birthday. My mom was going to buy me a computer game for my birthday, so I was at Electronics Boutique (when it was still called that) in the mall with some friends. One of these friends had a copy of Wolfenstein 3D, which I had watched him play a couple of times, and he strongly recommended getting Wolfenstein 3D. Bundled with Wolfenstein 3D was the shareware version of Doom (version 1.2), in its own box. As it turned out, one of the disks of Wolfenstein 3D was corrupted, so I wasn't able to install it and play it. In fact, I never got a replacement, I just took it back to the store.

I didn't know anyone who had ever played Doom and I'd never even heard of it, so I had no frame of reference for it. All I knew was what was on the outside of the box, "Doom: Where the sanest place is behind a trigger!" I installed the shareware version (the box was almost entirely empty except for 2 3.5" disks and a small square of green paper with instructions on it) and I had a good time playing it. I played through the shareware version multiple times, even though I was not (and still am not) very good at FPS-type games. As far as computer games were concerned, I mostly played adventure games (think Sierra and Lucasfilm games), so Doom was completely different from anything else I had played at that time.

Ultimately, I think I was the one that introduced my friends to Doom. Several months later, another friend gave me the registered copy of Doom that he had (version 1.666), along with a copy of "The Lost Episodes of Doom." And the rest is history (well, personal history).

By the way, as an interesting side note, there are two pictures on the back of the shareware box. Neither picture is from Knee Deep in the Dead; one is from Episode 2 and the other is from Episode 3.

Edited by Pegleg : Added age and side note.

I'm just really afraid you'll disappear before releasing any of the Doom RPG assets, personally.

On 4/29/2018 at 12:49 AM, Pegleg said:

...so Doom was completely different from anything else I had played at that time.

It was different from anything anyone had played at the time. (Not so much in June '94, but it was still really new.)

My first time playing Doom was in 2004. I played Doom II on Doom 95 and I remember having an absolute blast. Less than a year afterward, I'd bought the Doom Collectors Edition with Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom. I even remember my mother having to fight with the clerk at Walmart because he wouldn't sell it to her. Good times.

Back in the 1995s my dad bought a Pentium PC with comes bundled with shareware games, Doom included. I played it and was kinda scared with the atmosphere, but I still had quite the blast playing it, even to other PC gamers that I come across back in the day. It comes to me in later years that the game actually showed its true potential to me (Running it in Windows XP without source ports) as now I know the game is cooler with proper sounds and music.

And here I am still liking it.

My introduction to Doom was around 1999, when I would watch my dad play Doom 2. He played it extensively back when the first one came out. He was an engineer, and he told me that engineers everywhere would get in trouble for playing it at work, to the point where companies would implement "No Doom" policies. 

As a 7 year-old, I would anxiously watch over his shoulder as he slayed demons in these frightening, grotesque environments. The imagery of the game, particularly the hellish decorations of dismembered bodies, the blood rivers, and the demented scrolling faces of the souls trapped in Hell started to give me nightmares at night. I would never tell him though, as that would mean I could no longer watch him. Yes I was scared of Doom, but I was equally, if not more so intrigued - a complex range of emotions I'd yet to feel as a young kid. Eventually, he'd let me play, and play I did. For years I went through the levels of Doom 2, although mostly with IDDQD activated. 

I reached adolescence and stopped playing. Got to college, discovered Altima Mantoid's LP's of the original IWAD on Youtube. They were instrumental in inspiring me to start playing again. Played through Doom 2 just like old times (sans IDDQD), and gradually worked my way up to UV. Did the same for Ultimate Doom, then Plutonia, TNT, and then on to other IWADs. Joined the Doomworld forums about a month ago to immortalize some of my thoughts on Doom, and to fraternize with like-minded folks who don't turn their noses up at Doom's "antiquated" graphics, in favor of the latest COD offering.

It's great to be here, and I don't see myself falling out of love with this game any time soon.

I started the journey with Doom II sometime around 2002 or 2003, don't remember exactly. I was like 5 or 6yrs old at the time if I'm not mistaken. I was given a Windows 98 machine from a family friend and he installed a large number of games on it, some that I still remember up to this day, while others I don't, and among them was Wolfenstein 3D and Doom II, but not the original Doom (or Ultimate Doom) and Final Doom.

Wolf has never really been my cup of tea but I found Doom very appealing and intriguing, it felt very advanced and realistic to me back then (I also had loads of games for NES and I played on that platform exclusively until I got a PC, and compared to them, well, Doom certainly was in a completely different league :v ). I liked the setting, the graphics, the gameplay, the weapons, pretty much everything about it, however I never made it far, let alone finish the game. MAP07 Dead Simple was as far as I could get. The music in that level and the Mancubi frightened me at the time, there was no way I could make it any further. As about what version the Doom II I had installed was, I've no idea, and it most likely wasn't running on the Doom95 port either. Either way, considering that I was incapable of finishing the game I simply abandoned and played other titles instead.

I have returned to the series much, much later, sometime around 2015. I watched BigMacDavis' Doom II walkthrough and through it I found out about the existence of source ports which allowed you to play the titles on modern systems. Until that point I considered Doom as nothing more than a classic and a childhood memory. I'm glad I was wrong. I downloaded GZDoom afterwards and relived the experience, now finally able to finish the game, and after a while I joined DW and immersed myself in the world of megawads. I have also learned about the existence of Doom64 which was a full-fledged game and not a mere console port and finished the EX version on PC a couple of times. It has since remained my favorite Doom game.

Crucify me, but the stumbling upon the film on a late (very early morning, 12:30-ish) mid-2015, finished it, got curious, found out it was a game film, got GZDoom, Doom + Doom 2, and played them with Brutal Doom v19 (yea crucify me twice, then set me aflame) and the rest is history.

my dad was really into computers at teh time, and emergent pc con culture was full of pirating so he'd forever be bringing home floppies of apogee and Id stuff lol

then a few years later you'd get the magazines which had entire CDs full of game demos

the high point of which is the "Betony" version of the Daggerfall demo

bulletin boards were fascinating too and years later i messed up my life profoundly by spending every waking moment playing MUDs

thinking about it now what I mostly liked about those old apogee and Id games was that there were endless bonus pick-ups

im really more of an RPG person

much as I admire Doom, if there was a parallel universe where the massive audience and modding support had happened to Ultima Underworld or System Shock I'd say goodbye to this one in a nanosecond

To be honest, almost the same history, but it was like my kindergarden this game, really i start to play this game before play SMB or any other type of game, Doom has been on my life since i have memory.

But yeah, my dad have a lot of pirate floppys, and other games of the era, like Heretic, Quake, or The Chasm, really good stuff.

I wasn't huge into video games until I started watching AVGN videos in mid-2007. They were absolutely hilarious to me at the time and still are. Of course I ended up on his Bible Games video which of course mentioned Super Noah's Ark 3D, and how it was copied directly from Wolfenstein 3D. That game really intrigued me, so I decided to download it for myself and check it out. For the better portion of a year, that game was what really interested me, and I loved playing it and experimenting what could go on in it. I knew about Doom which he also mentioned in the same video, when bringing up the games id made, and he also looked at the 32X, and reviewed the Doom game for that system. At some point the following year, I decided to check that game out as well. What I didn't know is that game would end up intriguing me even more, and 10 years later, it still does. It's practically my go-to game now.

Brought Doom by chance when it first came out and was hooked ever since.

Around 2005 I got doom but I do not remember how I found this forum. I was a lurker for way to long. My earliest saved wad files are from around 2011.

On 4/28/2018 at 5:50 PM, Ex Oblivione said:

My earliest memory of Doom was sometime around the Christmas of 1993. My older brother installed it on the family computer and we spent countless hours mowing demons down with space shotguns and chainsaws. Our sister would watch with disapproval as zombiemen and imps would go splat from the rocket launcher. Doom has earned a spot in my heart. Oh those were the days.

*sheds tears*

Ok stop being a sentimental bastard!

Christmas of 1993? it clearly means you didn't let the world go to Hell by taking your cookies and milk. You're a hero!

On 4/28/2018 at 9:16 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

Pirated it, bought it, you know the story.

Well, at least you won't spend an eternity in Hell with all the freeloaders.