• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Herzon

Worst Doom Level

34 minutes ago, Labryx said:

Ultimate Doom: All of Episode 4

Doom 2: The Pit, The Citadel, and The Chasm

TNT: Metal, Administration Center, Habitat, and Mount Pain.

Plutonia: Speed, The Omen, Tombstone, The Final Frontier, and Anti-Christ.

Perhaps you misread. The thread title says "Worst", not "Best".

58 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Perhaps you misread. The thread title says "Worst", not "Best".

If you enjoy these levels then I envy you for having fun playing them. I'll admit the Plutonia ones are a bit of a stretch though.

Doom - Episode 3 Mission 2 - Slough of Despair.

Hate it. I think its because you start the level with very little ammo and weapons. 

On 10/21/2017 at 0:46 PM, Herzon said:

What is your least favorite Doom level? I know, there are there are tons of crappy Doom levels. But if you had to pick one from the classic games (Doom Doom 2 Final Doom And Master Levels) that you could NEVER play again, which one would it be? I hate Barrels'O'Fun the most.

It is certainly Map22 of TNT, because I still have no earthly idea about WTF is the point of the secrets in it (obviously, because the secrets are more pointless than two short planks).

Also,  Barrels o' Fun is so hilarious but unplayable, so it wouldn't be really that one.

Furthermore, Map24 of Doom II would be the worst in Doom II because of it just being a test on how good are you at narrow ledges (and that they are purposed).

Ultimate DOOM: E2M3 - Refinery (it's not awful, but pretty lackluster).

DOOM II: Hell on Earth: MAP12 - The Factory (again, not awful, but a bit boring).

TNT: Evilution: MAP21 - Administration Center (just plain dreadful. At least MAP22 is short[er]).

The Plutonia Experiment: MAP25 - The Temple of Darkness (annoying traps).

In the entire world of DOOM, my least favourite map would probably be MAP17 from Experiencing Nirvana.

Edited by Poncho

Ultimate Doom - None. I love everything in the original game, including E4. 

Doom 2 - The Chasm for obvious reasons. 

TNT: Evilution - Maps 8, 21, 22 and 27

Map 8 - Metal - This is one of the worst maps ever released on an official id game. TNT has a number of themes they often use in their levels. One of them just so happens to be what I like to call "big ass wide open areas with no cover and tons of hitscan enemies". Metal is an ugly level and it's rooms basically are this. The last room is the worst and for the longest time, i had no idea how to beat it on UV difficulty. I ended up having to look up a video online one day which showed how to grab the secret invisibility sphere and tackle the room with that. 

Map 21 - Administration Center - Another one of TNT's favorite themes is having levels that are way too big and often take 30 minutes to get through. This level starts off reasonably sized and has some tedious gameplay parts. Close quarters combat is something I enjoy in Doom II, and I can tolerate those parts of this map, but why oh why is the final part of this map so damn big? It's like three times the size of the first part where you start. And it's all for a boring cyberdemon fight in a wide open area, beyond that river of blood leading to an archville. 

Map 22 - Habitat - The ugliest map in TNT bar none. I've been trying to figure out for the longest time what this map is trying to accomplish because it's so off the wall. There's a couple neat details in it like the underground section and the pipe section with the nukage, but that's pretty much all the map is. It's just neat little details. It's a pain to play through and I'm not sure but I think you can actually beat the level without collecting any of the keys. It's almost like a joke wad map. 

Map 27 - Mount Pain or Mount Go-Fuck-Yourself (Thank you Altima Mantoid) - This map sums up ALL the negative themes of TNT all in one long painful experience. It has the wide open areas with hitscanners outside; the long cavernous section (TNT loves cavern sections in levels, and it's one of their themes. Maps 16, 23, 24, 25, 26, and 29 all have an annoying cavern section in them), slow moving elevators (another thing TNT loves and is in so many levels I'm not going to bother listing them), and it takes about 30 minutes to properly complete. There is barely any health at all in the map, and chances are that at the end of the map, you'll be looking for spare health somewhere. I have to agree with Altima Mantoid on what he said about the cavern maze; it would work in something like Wolfenstien but not Doom. 

One final note on TNT - 3 of the worst maps in this game also use the worst song in the game. That annoying song that plays in Metal, Mount Pain and Map 30. It's not a bad song but I've grown to despise it due to having to hear it over and over and over and over again during those levels. 

Plutonia - None. 

Here's my least favorites of each IWAD:

Doom1: E3M8, no doubt. After the epic fight against the Cyberdemon in E2, on a regular playthrough you get there, take out the BFG, shoot twice and - you win. Not how a game is supposed to end.

Doom2: MAP30. Again id had no clue how to make a good ending. The concept of the map was stupid to begin with, depending on some arbitrary movement limitation, and the icing on the cake was that trying to save crashed the game. Fortunately that part was fixed by any self respecting port.

Plutonia: No clear loser here, but if I'd have to pick, I'd choose MAP21 "Slayer" for making the player create a heap of corpses and then, close to the end, sending an Arch-Vile onto that killing field and having to kill all the monsters again.

TNT: Too many to count. Half the game is good to great maps, but quality control was clearly missing with far too many stinkers making the final cut.

Heretic: E5M8 for featuring multiple of those annoying Maulotaurs which even when they come alone are a chore to kill. Runner up: E4M1 for featuring another of those pains in the ass in the first level where the player normally is short on resources.

Hexen: I'll make an exception here and nominate the Heresiarch instead of a specific level. What's the point of a boss whose only real strength is to be invulnerable for most of the fight so all you can do is sit and wait until he becomes vulnerable again? As an opponent he's no challenge whatsoever.

Hexen Deathkings: Each and every one of them for the insane monster respawning. No matter which one I think of, they are all cramped and annoying.

Strife: The factory levels near the end for being a bit too unbalanced.

Ultimate Doom - Excluding secret levels, I can't name any genuinely bad or hateable level. Although Against Thee Wickedly can be a bit frustrating. Of the secret levels, they're all pretty bad except for Fear.

Doom 2 - While I'm more lenient than many on Doom 2's level design (I actually LIKE the city levels), there are some real stinkers to choose from. The Chasm, Gotcha, and Barrels O' Fun are all pretty damn bad. Gimmicky and unfun. The Living End isn't great either, it's totally linear and has a lot of unfun maneuvering on ledges. And the secret levels are just silly, not hateable.

TNT - Again, I enjoy most of its levels, but there are some pieces of crap. Metal and Habitat are ugly and unfun, and The Last Call is just terrible.

Plutonia - Can't think of any bad levels besides the secrets. Even Hunted is great.

TNT Map08: Metal. TNT has some bad maps, but this has always stood out to me as the worst. Dark rooms and hitscanners in the worst places.

Dis. Dis isn't fun. Dis isn't a functional, acceptable end to Doom. Dis is a piece of crap. 

The only other levels I can think of that really irritated me from Doom 2 was Nirvana and The Abandoned Mines.

But Dis takes the cake. It's the end of Doom, and it sucks.

3 hours ago, StevenC21 said:

Honestly? D2 MAP02. Ugh I've played it sooo many times it's a massive doom turnoff for me.

The Taco Bell music doesn’t help either.

Sure some levels in all the Doom games are a bit weaker than others, but the only ones I really dislike are the last maps; not because they are bad maps, but because they signify the end of each of the games.

UDoom: Hmm, I can't really think of any that have triggered me the wrong way. I like most of the maps. Pandemonium (e3m3) is probably the one I like the least though and, e3m5 has that annoying teleporter gimmick that took out from the immersion tbh (granted, there is a way to tell which teleporters to take so, it's not THAT bad). 

Doom 2: Map 24 - Absolute garbage 

TNT: Well, I dunno. Never actually finished it so yeah.

Plutonia: Hmm, I like most of the maps (if not all of them) 

when you read other people's posts on this subject and find totally opposite opinions to yours, using the same "this is objectively shit and unfun" language, do you ever think about toning down the way you express yourself about other people's art

34 minutes ago, Yugiboy85 said:

UDoom: Hmm, I can't really think of any that have triggered me the wrong way. I like most of the maps. Pandemonium (e3m3) is probably the one I like the least though and, e3m5 has that annoying teleporter gimmick that took out from the immersion tbh (granted, there is a way to tell which teleporters to take so, it's not THAT bad). 

Doom 2: Map 24 - Absolute garbage 

TNT: Well, I dunno. Never actually finished it so yeah.

Plutonia: Hmm, I like most of the maps (if not all of them) 

Lol N00B !! :p

I hate Doom2's map 22 : too small , annoying monsters....

30 minutes ago, yakfak said:

when you read other people's posts on this subject and find totally opposite opinions to yours, using the same "this is objectively shit and unfun" language, do you ever think about toning down the way you express yourself about other people's art

People are allowed to have opinions, strong tone or not right?

35 minutes ago, yakfak said:

People DO need to know what the word objectively actually means as well.

ob·jec·tive·ly

adverb

in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions.

Toning down your opinions on art seems pointless, I think you should definitely be as harsh as you damn please but I also agree that selling your opinion as gospel is also a dick thing to do and we're all dicks for doing it.

UDoom: E2M3 - a bad combination of uninteresting and not particularly fun. Also, could they have not written just one more music track so we're not subjected to "Intermission from DOOM" 3 times in a row? E3M8 is bad too - Anti-climax, thy name is Dis. 

Doom 2: Map 9 - The Pit: a genuine WTF layout with some horribly-executed ideas (I'm looking at you, elevator stairway-like platform room). Map 13 - Downtown: ambitious, but ultimately bland at best, ugly and a slog to get through at worst. Map 19 - the Citadel: I love exploratory castle maps... unfortunately, this one's a stinker. Confusing (in a bad way) layout and progression with an egregiously unfitting MIDI ("Shawn's Got the Shotgun" IMO is best used for showdown maps, not brooding castle labyrinths).

TNT: A majority of the WAD, to be honest. Some perfectly decent maps in this WAD, but many are marred with either bad map design, confusing/muddled progression, poor health/ammo balance, flat out butt-ugly texturing, or some combination of the previous. Some of the worst contenders: Maps 8, 14, 21, 22, 25, and 27.

Plutonia: I'm no Plutonia fanboy, but there aren't any maps in the WAD I consider to be bad maps. However, some maps have a few encounters that are just a flick to the nuts. For example, Map 3 (the Archvile redkey encounter), Map 4 (the completely open layout with relentless enemy fire), Map 9 (that exit room), Map 12 (Chaingunners, the map), Map 20 (quite a hairy start), Map 25 (that chaingunner trap)

Hoo, boy, are we in for one here.

UD: E1M6, not sure why. E2M9, if only because I find it unexciting. E3M8, because obviously. E4M1, because it's just absolutely brutal.

D2: MAP06, because it seems to be so slow. MAP09, same as E1M6. MAP30. MAP31 and MAP32.

TNT: I'll just put this as the IWAD I like the least.

Plutonia: Hard to say, because I really like Plutonia, but I'd have to say it's lowest points for me are MAP12, MAP30, and MAP31.

If we're allowed to add the non-Doom IWADS (the original Doom clones)...

Hexen: I actually really liked Hexen, the only level I didn't like really was the last because it was the end.

Heretic: I could never bring myself to play this one extensively, so I can't decide.

Strife: Played, got to the factory, quit.

55 minutes ago, Doom Trooper said:

The Hangar is by far the worst.

well it does get boring after the first billion times you play it

E4M1 and E4M2 are so cramped that it's hard to really have any fun with them, and both tend to starve you for resources if you don't know the secrets. I wouldn't call them horrible, but they're jarring compared to the rest of the Doom 1 levels and always make me hesitate to play Episode 4 again. The NIN logo and Cyberdemon are cute, tho

I used to hate E2M2 for some reason, but now I feel it gets better as it goes on.

UDoom: E2M3, nothing to say here that someone else hasn't already said, it's boring and you have to hear the same song 3 times in a row.

Doom 2: I actually like most Doom 2 maps, i used to hate The Pit and Refueling Base but i don't really have much of a problem with them anymore.

My least favorite is probably Map16 as i don't find it very fun and it is one of the ugliest Doom 2 maps.

Plutonia: Map12, it's long and exhausting. I have never finished it without saves and i don't have any plans to try it.

TNT: Map08, TNT is already pretty boring but this map is where most of my playthroughs end, i can't really find anything that hasn't been said about this map though.