Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

What is like to live in your country or city?

A little topic to kill the time and read interesting things, tell us what it is like to live in your country (you can say or not the name if you want) describe the daily experiences and what it is in itself, I would like to know why I have recently been facing a certainlack of joy in my country, and especially my city.

A Central American country that has suffered the consequences of the greatest enemy of progress for decades, corruption. Stuck in the same hole for years and years, without any kind of progress and only dramas around their detestable politicians. I do not hate my country, on the contrary, I love it and I am proud to think of the wonderful years of eternal spring that we once had with our only just rulers who gave their lives for the common good; But those years are over and now the present is caught in a sad dark cycle.

Perhaps what hurts me most is the fact of having enough potential to break all malefic scheme and move towards a bright new tomorrow in search of a happy new world, but our governors hang every opportunity for progress and squeeze it out all profit only for themselves.

My city itself is very dangerous, stuck in a cycle of crimes, full of injustice and poverty, very few of those who succeed in a clean way ... and many who do so in a doubtful way. It's something that has been depressing me all these days, hurting and destroying me. In short, I live in a bad place created by bad people. I could talk much more, but I'll leave it here for now.

So tell me, how is like the place where you live? You can give the name if you want, but a simple description is enough.

Thank you for reading! Sry for bad english.

d0578e66bffeb388e4cab6e48f858710.gif

I live in Chile. The goverment is full of assholes, our economy isn't the greatest (piracy is everywhere, in fact, I don't think I know anyone who buys music, let alone expensive programs) and people's retirement money, quite literally, isn't enough to live in a lot of cases. All in all though, it isn't that bad, especially in comparison to other countries.

The weather is nice, not too hot nor too cold, and we don't have twisters or anything of the sort. There are a lot of earthquakes over here, however, although all of our buildings are constructed with that in mind, so with the kind of stuff that would make foreigners shit their pants we do little more than raise an eyebrow.

My city is very average. Nothing worth saying about it.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

raise an eyebrow

I once felt a 5.0 Earthquake and I felt that I was going to die. Feel... less macho now... Haha, yet I have heard a lot of good things about Chile anyway, doesnt sound that bad :D

I live in Melbourne Australia. It has so many culturally diverse restaurants and unique bars. If you get lost in one of the citys alleys you are more likely to come across a special venue as oppose to getting stabbed. Outside you only have a 2-3 hour drive to visit the forest for camping trips and amazing vineyards, cheeseries, breweries etc along the way.

On the other hand it's a total nanny state with strange priorities. A police officer is likely to respond to spirited driving over people reporting recent death threats, I know this first hand. Speaking of driving, there are speed cameras and red light cameras everywhere, often secret to revenue raise at stupid levels. We have lots of extreme liberals and foreigners who hate them more than the local conservatives. Yet we all feel like a minority thanks to our pathetic media and rules.

The weather is never dangerous but often inconvenient. We experience freezing mornings that progress to hot days. You never know when it will actually rain. Often everyones guess is correct as all seasons take a turn.

We are a large country but it's squishy. Our infrastructure is quite dated and designed for small populations that we even envy some third world countries public transport and internet speeds. Getting good work is difficult or a logistical nightmare. A single delay or interruption to our infrastructure causes massive traffic congestion.

I live in a damn good country but I'm still getting tired of its issues constantly growing year by year.

Edited by Chezza

I live in Colorado, in the suburbs north of Denver.  It's generally a very pleasant place to live.  The people here are nice and usually stick to themselves, but the ones that are outgoing are very friendly.  It's mostly safe around my area, though you still have to be careful.  One thing that affects me personally is how a community treats LGBT people (I'm both a lesbian and trans), and I have to say, I feel a lot safer here in that regard than in most other places.  If I go south towards Colorado Springs, it's a different story.

It isn't especially crowded here, though traffic has gotten really bad ever since we legalized marijuana.  People around here are generally quite active.  There's a lot of bicyclists, a lot of golfers, and a lot of hikers since the Rocky Mountains are only about 30 minutes away.  It's pretty diverse through here, too.

The climate is generally dry-ish, especially in the spring and summer.  We get about 115 sunny days and 130 partly cloudy days per year.  The summers are hot (80-95 F/ 27-35 C usually).  Spring isn't too bad, with it being 60-75/16-24 most days I'd say.  The same goes for fall.  We get some rain spring through fall as well.  Sometimes it's really heavy, but we also tend to experience droughts in the summer months.  We also get tornadoes out east and northeast of me, but rarely where I am - some can be pretty bad.  Winter is all over the place, with some weeks averaging around 50 or 60/10 or 15, while other weeks around 32/0 or lower.  We can get some pretty strong snow storms winter through early spring.  The winter storms always bring really light, fluffy snow, but spring snow storms always dump really wet, heavy snow on us.

4 minutes ago, Chezza said:

I live in Melbourne Australia. It has so many culturally diverse restaurants and unique bars. If you get lost in one of the citys alleys you are more likely to come across a special venue as oppose to getting stabbed. Outside you only have a 2-3 hour drive to visit the forest for camping trips and amazing vineyards, cheeseries, breweries etc along the way.

On the other hand it's a total nanny state with strange priorities. A police officer is likely to respond to spirited driving over people reporting recent death threats, I know this first hand. Speaking of driving, there are speed cameras and red light cameras everywhere, often secret to revenue raise at stupid levels. We have lots of extreme liberals and foreigners who hate them more than the local conservatives. Yet we all feel like a minority thanks to our pathetic media and rules.

We are a large country but it's squishy. Our infrusructure is quite dated and designed for small populations that we even envy some third world countries public transport and internet speeds. Getting good work is or a logistical nightmare. A single delay or interruption to our infrusructure causes massive traffic congestion.

I live in a damn good country but I'm still getting tired of its issues constantly growing year by year.

I always wonder what it is like to live in Australia, it seems to be a good place in a few words, but I'm curious, what is the wildlife like? Because Jesus, you have some terrifying animals.

5 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

I live in Colorado, in the suburbs north of Denver.  It's generally a very pleasant place to live.  The people here are nice and usually stick to themselves, but the ones that are outgoing are very friendly.  It's mostly safe around my area, though you still have to be careful.  One thing that affects me personally is how a community treats LGBT people (I'm both a lesbian and trans), and I have to say, I feel a lot safer here in that regard than in most other places.  If I go south towards Colorado Springs, it's a different story.

It isn't especially crowded here, though traffic has gotten really bad ever since we legalized marijuana.  People around here are generally quite active.  There's a lot of bicyclists, a lot of golfers, and a lot of hikers since the Rocky Mountains are only about 30 minutes away.  It's pretty diverse through here, too.

The climate is generally dry-ish, especially in the spring and summer.  We get about 115 sunny days and 130 partly cloudy days per year.  The summers are hot (80-95 F/ 27-35 C usually).  Spring isn't too bad, with it being 60-75/16-24 most days I'd say.  The same goes for fall.  We get some rain spring through fall as well.  Sometimes it's really heavy, but we also tend to experience droughts in the summer months.  We also get tornadoes out east and northeast of me, but rarely where I am - some can be pretty bad.  Winter is all over the place, with some weeks averaging around 50 or 60/10 or 15, while other weeks around 32/0 or lower.  We can get some pretty strong snow storms winter through early spring.  The winter storms always bring really light, fluffy snow, but spring snow storms always dump really wet, heavy snow on us.

Honestly, Colorado itself looks like a fascinating place just for its astonishing scenery, of course every place has its disadvantages, but I would like to live elsewhere. Although we are almost as hot, except that in my city it rains about 3 or 6 times a year, hot and dry haha.

1 hour ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Speaking of driving, there are speed cameras and red light cameras everywhere, often secret to revenue raise at stupid levels.

Some good calls on the dated infrastructure (train delays; level crossings etc.) and no kidding! It's daylight robbery. Every time one of my family members flies in from overseas he gets caught out going 60 in a 40 zone when there's absolutely no reason for a slow-down in that area. Chadstone in particular—my neck of the woods—is one of the worst areas for this sort of thing.

I always wonder what it is like to live in Australia, it seems to be a good place in a few words, but I'm curious, what is the wildlife like? Because Jesus, you have some terrifying animals.

Not as bad as you may think.

Granted, we do have spiders that either are small and lethal or large and scary. As long as your cautious there really isn't much to worry about. If anything, lovable Kangaroos can be a threat for hopping across traffic within rural areas and occasionally suburbs. I hear of stories about crocodiles in lakes, sharks in beaches and deadly snakes but when people truly are attacked it's often a big enough deal to make the news, occasionally statewide.

Personally I would be more concerned about going in other country forests that contain Bears. Those extremely aggressive, massive balls of muscle would be a scary encounter.

I live in Patra, Greece. I won't talk about politics, because honestly I don't care much nowadays. Everywhere it's the same shit over and over.

Back to the point:

It has a population of 160000 people and while it is considered the third biggest city in my country, the 2 cities that are above it are huge compared to my city (been there a few times, especially at the capital which has 5 million people and it is a pain navigating there).

I live 15-20 minutes away from the city center (15-20 minutes if I walk there) and I am actually happy to live here. I have everything I need (even if I don't have a particular shop in my area, I can go easily to the city center) and the sea is not that far away (something like 10 minutes with a car), so at summer I can go there and have fun.

The weather is pretty nice and what you would expect from a Mediterranean country. Mildly cold at winters with a shit ton of humidity though (because it is near the sea) and really hot at summers (can reach 40 something degrees Celsius and it will easily stay above 30-35). At summer, going to the sea is essential thanks to the weather, but lately a large wave of jellyfishes appeared, so we can't go to the sea, which sucks.

At times I thought that I would love going to a village and staying there, but I grew to love my city despite of its negatives. It's not perfect by any means, but I can easily navigate it and I feel like everything I need is always close (only 2 or 3 shops that are more specialized are missing here and can be found at the capital - some comic stores, a lot more record stores, older games shops, Starbucks, Domino's. bigger malls, e.t.c.).

i live in teh north of england

it's meant to be one of the richest countries but deprivation affects every aspect of life here

if you do a useful job like teaching or construction or lorry driving or health work or social work you get paid next to nothing

and obviously you're fucked if you're an artist

and the beautiful national parks we're meant to have are actually blasted, overfarmed moors where you go to shoot birds, nature receding every year

crime isn't that intolerable but you'll hear some tabloid-inflicted extremism if you stop in a pub or on the street and listen for a while

i might be dramatising this a little cos of my own opinions but things feel tense and dead-endy

that said we have lots of beautiful monuments, castle/abbey ruins and stone circles

you can take your mind off the lack of money by going to one of them and putting your hands on the rock

still, capital-hoarding conservatives have fundamentally won on this island. good game i guess

My location fluctuates between Australia and New Zealand due to family stuff but the locations that i have lived in were alright i guess.

Split, Croatia. Won't talk about politics either because I am kinda allergic to them, so I will just coast over to the aesthetics.

It's kinda tightly packed, but at the same time not really. I live somewhere in the center of it, at the 3:4 of a distance between two primary schools. And as you guessed it, it's a pretty lively squadron of neighborhoods.

Tourists and tourist guides can yabber on about the beauty of it, but that is mostly the coastline and the old part of the city. Newer parts (like 80% of it) is like your average East European city (ctrl+v apartment blocks for instance), but with a pretty big dash of Western architecture and culture sprinkled over it (mostly Italian). The neighborhood I live in is littered with kids and old people. In fact, just about every age demographic can be seen. Most of it are old people though. The neighborhood I have to walk through to get to my college is the same. And, as far as I can gather, the neighborhood with the university as well. Especially now, these days, there are a lot of people on the streets, even kids, for whom they get regularly accused by internet headlines and articles to be "inside the house" all the time (which they aren't).

I myself can get everything I need, and my favorite and only mode of transportation is on foot. Not only because it's economical and healthy, but because of the vast amount of cars and little bit less parking spaces (the area at the university is the worst with this, sometimes I think there are more cars than students, even if it is a bit illogical). I have to take a half an hour commute every morning and afternoon, but it's not like I mind. I just put on my headphones and rack up that steps count, do my healthy quota, whilst observing the daily life. The local news and media made it so that what I am supposed to see are criminals, skeletons and beggars whilst traversing, but I do not. Heh. That might count for the peripheral area around the city. For me, I am set in nicely.

That being said, I do miss the countryside a lot. I always wanted to live off the land and the sun, but that is considered disgraceful apparently, so I have to go to college to be an IT guy for some company in the future, yay :D The place from where I truly originated is astoundingly beautiful to behold, not to mention, calm and simple. I feel like myself the most whenever I get here on the weekends, and whenever I feel troubled whilst living in the big city, my mind often wanders to the "homeland".

I live in Cornwall, the south-western corner of the UK. It's a shithole and I'm of the opinion that if you aspire to do anything with your life, this is not the place to be - hence in september, university attempt 2/2 will have me move to near london and frankly it can't come soon enough. My mother has the same opinion and is planning to move further upcountry after I leave, which would be great for me because it will reduce the absolutely fucking obscene cost of the train to get here from london (it was like £70 or something even with a railcard if I remember rightly). The train is a slow crawl once it gets down this way because the line is ancient, so it'll take all day, provided the line hasn't fallen into the sea again. But hey, why improve the rail network down this way when you could throw £56bn at fucking with something that isn't broken up north (HS2)...

Traffic infrastructure is also a joke, while it doesn't affect me directly it really seems like a metaphor for this county as a whole where there has been so much work done on the roads around the main "city" (read: a small town with a cathedral) here where I live with like zero gain - every Strategic Traffic Flow Improvement Initative bullshit that the council drafts up on their fancy whiteboards has made traffic flow worse every time and now the entire road around the place gets gridlocked if there's more than 5 cars at a time on it.

I've also heard numerous times that the cost of living down here is very high despite the fact that the wages for most jobs are among the lowest in the country (that is if you can get a job in the first place because the job market is rich and diverse, extending as far as shop work but hey, sometimes it's different kinds of shops that you'll need decades of experience before you're qualified to work there). I've heard this is one of the poorest parts of Europe, I dunno if that's really true because I thought it's pretty bad out in the east of the continent, but it's borderline believable I guess. Nevertheless houses are popping up at an insane rate around these parts, of course no one will live in them because they can't afford them - nay, they'll probably become second homes owned by some posh twats. Homelessness is rife.

This place is nothing more than a holiday destination, in the summer people from around the UK will flock here en masse, but I can't say I even understand that. We're an island for fuck's sake, plenty of great coastline elsewhere.

so yeah, dead-end shithole, probably only going to get worse with time. pretty sure the little investment that this area got in recent years came from europe rather than our own goverment, but we're all familiar with how this story played out...

Central NY state in the US is where I live. You can easily look up all the problems NY has. High taxes, extreme weather (was literally 20 degrees and snowing/raining one day in April then 75 and sunny the next) and the roads aren't taken care of. Not a lot of jobs, a lot of homeless. It's great.

The people around the St. Louis area are real friendly, which is a real plus for me. (Then again, Missourians aren't known for their hostility, AFAIK.)

8 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I live in Chile. The goverment is full of assholes, our economy isn't the greatest (piracy is everywhere, in fact, I don't think I know anyone who buys music, let alone expensive programs) and people's retirement money, quite literally, isn't enough to live in a lot of cases. All in all though, it isn't that bad, especially in comparison to other countries.

The weather is nice, not too hot nor too cold, and we don't have twisters or anything of the sort. There are a lot of earthquakes over here, however, although all of our buildings are constructed with that in mind, so with the kind of stuff that would make foreigners shit their pants we do little more than raise an eyebrow.

My city is very average. Nothing worth saying about it.

Since I also live in Chile, I'll add more of that. The city-capital, Santiago, it's a bustling, insane and stressful city which happens all the shit that you can imagine. Transport sucks, health sucks too. People is clasist and racist but when the time comes, in bad times like earthquakes, people can help each other. 

In weather topic, I like the south of this country because it's beautiful, especially in summer....forests, all green, quiet life compared to the capital. Also most of people when it's a long holiday or at vacations, they goes to the beach (since the country has a narrow-looking geography, it's easier to go to there).

AH, and there's this foreign inmigration topic now which is a delicate thread that I won't touch here...

One more thing, FOOD is delicious.....seafood, typical food and any crazy variation of food that you can find from every part of this freaking country...

Random strangers talking to you are scary things - inears are gods gift to humanity. Pressure to drink alcohol if you want a social life. At all.

Romania used to be a more or less decent place to live in, but ever since a certain party "owns" the government now things are going downhill at an alarming rate. The prime minister making a fool of herself surely doesn't help us either... All this fight against corruption and lies, and for what, it's like we're going back where we started with all the changes they're doing, especially to the law...

Both my city and the country in itself are otherwise beautiful places to see or live in, plenty of forests, historic cities with their monuments, castles, the Carpathian mountains, the seaside, and so on, although my town is very boring since there's barely anything going on save for a few annual festivals, and the people are decent I suppose, with the occasional idiots or assholes one might run into, but there's enough nice people around if you make an effort to find them. It's just that right now it's not the best place to live in, but neither the worst, simply not how it used to be before these retarded "politicians" were elected thanks to the idiots who voted for them... but regrets are pointless now.

Edited by Agent6

Lots of tourists, lots of homeless, and lots of churches.

So, y'know, Hell.

3 hours ago, DanielAlexander said:

@Anidrex_1009 I live in Central America too, and your description fits with my country...

Its our curse.  :T El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala, probably suffer the most. 

20 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Romania used to be a more or less decent place to live in, but ever since a certain party "owns" the government now things are going downhill at an alarming rate. The prime minister making a fool of herself surely doesn't help us either... All this fight against corruption and it's like we're going back now with all the changes they're making...

Both my city and the country in itself are otherwise beautiful places to live in, albeit my town is really boring since there's barely anything going on, save for a few annual festivals, and the people are ok-ish I guess with the occasional idiots or assholes one might run into every now and then, but there's enough nice people around if you make an effort to find them. It's just that right now it's not the best place to live in, and not how it used to be before all these retarded "politicians" got the power thanks to idiots who voted for them... but regrets are pointless now.

Sounds a little bit like my case, also, you should watch our presidents, is a pure clown, and he even once mock his own people by calling them ''Cheap Workers'' and using extremely expensive clothing and food when schools cant even afford proper desks.

29 minutes ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

when schools cant even afford proper desks.

For some reason this reminds me of the fact that apparently millions of people around here still have old fashioned toilets in their yard :v .

@KVELLER "(piracy is everywhere, in fact, I don't think I know anyone who buys music, let alone expensive programs)" - Same here. OSes,  AV software (despite the large number of 'em having free versions that are still very efficient), music, games, movies, professional software, everything. As a matter of fact, with the exception of just a few metalheads I know no one else buys music, they're all stuck in the "if you can torrent or listen to it on YT/Spotify/Bandcamp/whatever it's a waste of money" mentality lol. A few friends from college know that I buy music albums and they all think it's simply pointless.

Edited by Agent6

Stuff here in Norfolk, VA

-Trucks everywhere

-Lots of black people (not a problem of course)

-Really dumb traffic lights

-TOO MUCH ROAD CONSTRUCTION OH GOD

-The usual low-end crime that happens on the midnight streets, meaning I am fine as long as I'm indoors by then.

-Paying for parking

-But on the plus side workers and nonworkers are generally nice people overall as long as their not gangsters/criminals

4 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

I live in Cornwall, the south-western corner of the UK. It's a shithole and I'm of the opinion that if you aspire to do anything with your life, this is not the place to be - hence in september, university attempt 2/2 will have me move to near london and frankly it can't come soon enough. My mother has the same opinion and is planning to move further upcountry after I leave, which would be great for me because it will reduce the absolutely fucking obscene cost of the train to get here from london (it was like £70 or something even with a railcard if I remember rightly). The train is a slow crawl once it gets down this way because the line is ancient, so it'll take all day, provided the line hasn't fallen into the sea again. But hey, why improve the rail network down this way when you could throw £56bn at fucking with something that isn't broken up north (HS2)...

Traffic infrastructure is also a joke, while it doesn't affect me directly it really seems like a metaphor for this county as a whole where there has been so much work done on the roads around the main "city" (read: a small town with a cathedral) here where I live with like zero gain - every Strategic Traffic Flow Improvement Initative bullshit that the council drafts up on their fancy whiteboards has made traffic flow worse every time and now the entire road around the place gets gridlocked if there's more than 5 cars at a time on it.

I've also heard numerous times that the cost of living down here is very high despite the fact that the wages for most jobs are among the lowest in the country (that is if you can get a job in the first place because the job market is rich and diverse, extending as far as shop work but hey, sometimes it's different kinds of shops that you'll need decades of experience before you're qualified to work there). I've heard this is one of the poorest parts of Europe, I dunno if that's really true because I thought it's pretty bad out in the east of the continent, but it's borderline believable I guess. Nevertheless houses are popping up at an insane rate around these parts, of course no one will live in them because they can't afford them - nay, they'll probably become second homes owned by some posh twats. Homelessness is rife.

This place is nothing more than a holiday destination, in the summer people from around the UK will flock here en masse, but I can't say I even understand that. We're an island for fuck's sake, plenty of great coastline elsewhere.

so yeah, dead-end shithole, probably only going to get worse with time. pretty sure the little investment that this area got in recent years came from europe rather than our own goverment, but we're all familiar with how this story played out...

Woah, that sounds really depressing, have you ever thought about leaving the country? I cant wait to leave my city and find something different but better. Even if the UK is part of the ''first world countries'' it really doesn't sound so good.

you should watch our presidents, is a pure clown

well, this describe my president too :P

I did think about moving to a different country briefly maybe like a year ago, but I don't know where'd I go to be honest. The UK as a whole has its problems (mine and yakfak's posts won't be selling the south-west or north to anyone :P), and politically the future of this country is more pleasant to just not think about, heh, but ultimately I'll just be glad to get out of this crappy little corner. 4½ months to go...

14 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

I once felt a 5.0 Earthquake and I felt that I was going to die. Feel... less macho now... Haha

Haha I'd say it takes at least a 6.0 to make us enter an alert state, and we'll only stop whatever we're doing if it doesn't stop after a few seconds.

4 hours ago, DanielAlexander said:

well, this describe my president too :P

That describes ours too! People made fun of him (a lot) to the point where he actually used those jokes for his re-election campaign.

He won somehow.

30 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

He won somehow.

Just like one wise man once said: ''If there is an idiot in power, those who elected him are well represented.''    :T