Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Orange Version!

We'll be using boom format. Since the resource pack includes custom DehackED monsters.

@Obsidian

I have read some of the opinions in this thread. Is there going to be any changes to the weapons/monsters? I will need to think about stuff differently if so.

Seems cool. I like the partial conversion aspect with the new enemies. Maybe I'll cook something up!

It's really been a while since I made a map for this! I'm gonna give it a try. I already got a map idea all sketched out!

23 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

What's the feasibility of getting rid of the arch-vile and getting two monsters out of its larger number of frames?

I see what you're doing here. :) 

Alright, let's see what we have here...

On 5/1/2018 at 1:13 AM, rdwpa said:

The shadow's attack would be better off faster, and a quick burst of a few projectiles instead of refire, enabling its main asset (its speed) to shine. 

Yeah, I've had other feedback regarding burst firing. I'd kinda like to preserve the original behavior, but I'll give it a shot in the next update.

Valiant did it right -- one rocket, instead of three. Cybruisers that adopt a cyberdemon-like pattern are not good in general

Heh, the behavior it currently has is copied from OitNS. :P I can change it easily enough.

In prBoom+, the Hades Elemental crashes on me when pain-stunned, citing an error 'Bad sfx #: 0', so I can only test it while evading its attack.

Argh. Will fix.

The monster could afford to be more formidable in general though, perhaps spawning Hades spheres as a normal attack, because to me this is feeling a lot like an ascended mid-tier with too much HP. (Although 1600 HP is fine in principle.) It also is quite a passive monster, attacking at a fairly low rate -- reducing the delay between Chase codepointers should help.

So a bit less delay between Chase frames and swap around the attacks? Can do.

As far as the weapons, the pistol and chaingun could use a beefier sound. It's a bit weird when a sped-up chaingun still has the stock sound. Also that little hitch in the chaingun is pretty annoying and seems inconsequential from a gameplay perspective, so I'd suggest getting rid of that. I do like that both bullet weapons are sped up, however. The faster rocket speed is always fun on the offensive -- it makes it more suitable for the sort of scattered monster placement that modern maps often go for. The rapid fire rocket launcher is fucking awesome, although it's a shame the BFG had to be excluded for it. Both in tandem would surely be one of the best duos I've seen among Dehacked weapons mods. Preserving the BFG and removing the chainsaw instead would be great, if there are frames that can be spared.

Hmm, I'll see what I can do. Cheers for the feedback dude.

On 5/1/2018 at 7:27 AM, Grain of Salt said:

Just dropping by to yell at @Obsidian for removing arachnotrons.

lollerskates

The resources have been updated! The Shadow fires multiple projectiles, the Cybruiser fires one rocket, the Hades Elemental is more aggressive and the rapid fire rocket launcher now replaces the chainsaw instead! Christmas comes earlier and earlier every year. :P

@Obsidian Can we do our own edits of existing textures in the resource? I'm making a big cave thingy and feel like some dark orange rock textures would work nicely.

28 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

@Obsidian Can we do our own edits of existing textures in the resource? I'm making a big cave thingy and feel like some dark orange rock textures would work nicely.

So long as you don't go too overboard with the number of textures, I don't have a problem with it. Cheers for asking me first.

Would you be able to post the texture here once you've found/made it? That way I can add it to the resources with minimal fuss.

I really wish these images will go away already.

Obsidian: thoughts on making a mini-boss map? I am trying to set up a map using only the Ethereal souls, and the Hades Elemental as the boss. Just starting right now, this is one area.

h39kYW0.png

Hi, I've got a pretty solid idea for a map and would like to join if that's okay. This is the first MAYhem I've participated in by the way, am I allowed to add a couple of additional textures? My map will have a fairly unique goal that some players might not understand at first, and I'd like to use a texture or two to help explain the map's goal. If you've ever played Valiant MAP07, you'll kinda get what I mean (though the "gimmick" is going to be completely different in this case).