Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Double Impact

May, 2018

wuZqM3d.png

> Download Double Impact (hotfixed version—use this)

Download Double Impact (/idgames version—for asterisked playback only)
> NaZa's unofficial leader board

Leaderboard

1. [2] Survived +1 [1:48:12] Bloodite Krypto - I felt scared on his behalf even though I knew he would survive! Entertaining stuff from the legend.
  2. [3] Survived +1 [3:17:05] RjY - How does RjY's marine keep such a perfect complexion? Maybe he's born with it. Maybe it's a prepared run.
  3. [1] Survived +1 [4:05:08] dt_ - One of the all time great Ironman runs.
  4. [1] e1m8 Ancalagon - Miraculously escapes being cornered by cyberdemons only to die to... the last five cacos in the game. Amazing finish.
  5. [1] e1m8 Archi - Peak rudeness. This result was already decided 1) by Archi's starting health, and 2) because it's Archi.
  6. [2] e1m8 Alfonzo - Spiflicated by a spiderdemon and with nowhere to run. The teleporter technicians have some explaining to do.*
  7. [2] e1m8 WH-Wilou84 - Zigged when he should have zagged. Kersplatt!
  8. [2] e1m8 Demon of the Well - Our Hero DotW loves Double Impact so much that at the conclusion of the movie he decides to stay there forever.
  9. [2] e1m8 Roofi - Genuine terror forces Roofi into the green stuff and blinds him from the only way out of there. M8 has arrived.*
  10. [2] e1m7 cannonball - Now that's more like it! What a thrilling finish. One of these days, cannonball, one of these days...
  11. [1] e1m7 Fiendzy - Welcome! Not a bad effort and and a very sick-looking marine slick-looking interface.
  12. [2] e1m7 Beginner - What a time to be alive; what a time to be Good At Doom. Right at the exit, no less!*
  13. [1] e1m7 antares031 - Wrong-sided by the baron horde; had his arms ripped off trying to split the middle.*
  14. [1] e1m6 Benjogami - "I really wanted to use the rocket launcher."*
  15. [1] e1m6 Dragonfly - Barons! Pulled out all the short straws while trying to figure out what the hell was going on.
  16. [1] e1m5 HexaDoken - Backed into a bad situation by a sort-of-deadly cacodemon surprise. Nested sergeant has the last say.
  17. [1] e1m5 42PercentHealth - Heyup it's the return of Insertion with that crusher. Whoops (would you believe me if I said I totally forgot?).
  18. [3] e1m5 Steve D - Yeah that's what you get for kicking my ass with Heat Miser a few days ago! I hope your pelts rot in the mail, Steve!
  19. [3] e1m4 Catpho - Ah, see? Smart thinking! Was sure to die *on* the ledge so that things wouldn't get too crowded below.
  20. [2] e1m4 NoisyVelvet - Unfairly trapped within a secret cage. This is now documented in the OP. Stay frosty! (DNF)*
  21. [1] e1m4 JudgeDeadd - Went searching for health but forgot to pay the green-haired doorman on the way in.
  22. [1] e1m4 Vince Vega - Just what do they put in those health bonus flasks? And that's "spiritual armor," you say? Hmm...
  23. [2] e1m4 Malrionn - Eyyy they're starting to pile up, down there. Any more bodies and the surface will rise to meet the YK.
  24. [2] e1m4 DaIcemann76 - Don't flail! It'll only make you sink faster! Spread your weight and find your nearest available service elevator.
  25. [2] e1m4 an_mutt - Yes, there is actually a way to get out of that pit, but you were also too busy corroding to find it!
  26. [2] e1m9 SSGmaster - Good At.. no, wait... Deliberate At Doom? That's three successive self-splosions. What a treat.
  27. [2] e1m9 Anima Zero - There's Zero ammo in that plasma gun, Anima! Ripped apart in the YK encounter.*
  28. [1] e1m9 leodoom85 - Played a game of lifts and lost to a sneaky sergeant.*
  29. [1] e1m9 Bdubzzz - I'm 60% certain that's the exact same sergeant that killed leo. What a sneak attack!
  30. [1] e1m3 NaZa - Marinated in nukage and then DEVOURED WHOLE by spectres. Mmmm... devoured.*
  31. [2] e1m2 Urthar - My chainsaw brings all the imps to the storage room. That was not the time for resource management!
  32. [1] e1m3 BioRenegat - And again! The voraciousness of these assholes cannot be underestimated. DEVOURED.*
  33. [1] e1m3 Crusader No Regret - Went down the m3 rabbit hole and was slowly picked apart by its denizens.
  34. [3] e1m2 Suitepee - I'm not sure which is more surprising: the death itself or the fact Suitepee was faster than Eris in exiting m1.
  35. [1] e1m2 Eris Falling - Double Impact is like kryptonite to Eris and his hasty ways. Tapped on the shoulder by a zombieman.
  36. [1] e1m2 Agent6 - Blind-sided by one of Central Computing's many bastard sergeants.*
  37. [2] e1m2 guineu - Executed by an unseen sergeant/IT consultant in the dark.
  38. [2] e1m1 Pegleg - Welcome to the DWIronman League. Break a pegleg!
  39. [1] e1m1 Jaws In Space - Never bring a keyboard to a shotgun fight!

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In May 2018 the Doomworld Ironman League dies to Double Impact, -complevel 3 (Doom (strict)), an Ultimate Doom Episode 1 replacement from 2011 by partners in crime @RottKing and @Ralphis. Perhaps the most difficult high-profile set that retains strong ties to the source inspiration, this is not like Mapgame or DTWiD—an opportunity to kick back and run rampant through scores of imps and sergeants unchallenged. Double Impact displays the experience and ability of its authors in obvious ways and can turn the lights out in an instant with its deviously placed zombies and clever traps. Putting your foot on the gas is a surefire way to get into trouble, then... though it may ultimately have a big say in where you finish up.

Good luck! May E1M8 have mercy on your soul :)

Potential Game-stoppers and Bugs

• (/idgame version) There is a chance that the dummy barons used in conjunction with the E1M8 tag special will be crushed before their death animation resolves, effectively bypassing the trigger and resulting in a soft-lock. This cannot be controlled by the player in any way. dew informs me that it's a very low chance, but you'd better cross your fingers and pray to Jeebus, anyway.
  • (/idgame version) <dew> the lift out of the blue key area [in E1M7] is broken into two lines and both are S1, so it works just twice at most.
  • (/idgame version) Be wary of the secret accessed via this teleporter in E1M4. The teleporter that takes you back out of the secret is rigged with W1 lines, and it is possible to get soft-locked if those lines are triggered/wasted before you are able to use them.

prboom-plus -file dbimpact -complevel 3 -warp -skill 4 -record my_demo

Spoiler
  • One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom or Eternity), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No other wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • You may segment your run providing on-screen evidence of having loaded from the same save file. Demos may also be managed across multiple sittings, but only -cl9 allows for loading within a single .lmp. i.e. unless you are streaming or capturing your run, or unless there are pistol start opportunities within a set such as with Scythe or Ultimate Doom episodes, this will not be possible within vanilla constraints.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If your operating system fails during the run such that the stream/recording becomes irretrievable, you are permitted a second or subsequent attempt. Technical difficulties during streams or recordings that present as merely an impediment (i.e. the run is still observable, in the case of a stream) do not count as system failures. In these instances, you should save the game, if possible, and resume when the issue has been resolved.
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • You are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you scout only the first level of a WAD you're otherwise unfamiliar with and die in the first level, you should list your run as [3] instead of [2]. If you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I can't remember the details of any one area in a way that would offer an advantage over truly blind players.

2. This is a familiar run. I have played or watched the level/set being played before — even if it's only one area — and can remember enough details to have an advantage over blind players.

3. This is a prepared run. I played the WAD to some extent after it was announced for this month's Ironman but before declaring an official run

Previous Threads
Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)
End Game & End Point (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)
Doom The Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Combat Shock 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Coffee Break (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)

50 Monsters (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update.

*escapes from a deadly trap relatively unscathed*

Wow, I'm doing pretty well at this, let's keep calm. Oh look a spectre is in front of me. Let's jus-

*spectre from behind traps*

*NaZa dies*

Category 1, E1M3 while going down a 100+ monster secret... I reckon I could've exited the map already had I not gone there, judging by how many monsters there were. Regrets aplenty. Death is eerily similar to Anima's death in UR.

Basically I escaped from said trap and I was like "Yes I'm finally escaping this area! Now I can go get the normal exit because survival > placement on the board." and that extremely easy trap just caught me offguard. I don't know what else to say really. It was all going so well the first two maps, even though the traps are really easy to telegraph because the authors don't know what the "Secret" linedef flag is for. Too bad it had to end this way, up to entering that secret I'd say it was my best showing yet (maybe except UR).

Bottom of the table here I come.

NaZa_dbimpact_Ironman.zip

Edited by NaZa

Would runs of the version included in Freedoom be accepted? The main differences are the second and third maps being swapped so that the secret exit works in episode 4, and a few details are removed for the sake of pure vanilla compatibility. I'm pretty sure most if not all of those details are out of bounds anyway and as such only affect the visuals. Of course, if runs of that version just aren't accepted then it's easy enough to download the PWAD version, which I do already have, but honestly I'm just curious.

Oh, I'd forgotten all about Double Impact being hosted in Freedoom. You'll have to use the PWAD version linked, yes: running Freedoom as a substitute with a set that uses only vanilla resources would be accepted, but meddling with map order (as well as things and actions etc.) is definitely off the table.

Dead at E1M7. Got betrayed by autoaim really hard.

Edit: demo also doubles as FDA, so it's category 1 submission.

Edited by Beginner : because

Why do I get the feeling that this isn't the first time you've been sensational at Doom, Beginner? I bet your obituary history is hiding a few trends.

Nice UD styled levels, very faithful, but oh well this run was just pathetic. It'd be so much easier if the mouse would actually want to co-operate with me while recording demos, which, for some reason that I'm not aware of, just doesn't want to. Instead of fighting against the demons I'm fighting against the mouse -__- .

Dead on the freakin' second map lol. PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, blind, as usual.

agent6demoround3.zip

doing my ironman soon......I hope that I can clear this...

fingers crossed

Well......I died (in E1M9) because I panicked and run into my death thanks to a shotgunner, camping like the motherfucker he is....

I discovered the secret level to find death. One thing.....never trust the teleporters kids....

Played in GLBoom+, completely blind, comp -3...here's the proof and the zip.

dbimpld85.zip

doom06.jpg.65316c3a7dd7295ce721be4cce4f1d1f.jpg

Welp, guess it's time for my not very spectacular submission.

[1] Judging by description, I met exact same fate as NaZa, drowned in swarm of pinkies during sewer section. Died during e1m3.

Also, after realising it was doom 1 map set, I was too careless to think that there is no way this wad could be really challenging without any revenants, chaingunners or arch-viles, you know, classic stuff. I couldn't be any more wrong.

And, as a sidenote, is it ok to change brightness for these runs? Because dark levels are absolute bane of existence for my garbage eyes.

Edited by BioRenegat

Woah, we suffered the same fate. Come to think of it, that trap is much more difficult than it seems. 

Another wad I've played before! And this one I have fond memories of, as I still rate it as one of the best Ultimate Doom wads I've played. The gameplay in this is definitely an unique experience, and it's not too easy either. Lots of fun carnage though.

I look forward to revisiting this one......right after dragonfly and an_mutt, as I go last this month in the Britbowl.

Will Rottking and/or Ralphis be up for an attempt?

And yet another idiot death happens when I stumble into e1m9 and was expecting the vanilla song that usually plays here.  Thinking I had somehow managed to go to e1m4 instead, I was a little on tilt and basically went to my death in the yk arena.  Possibly a fail to put into my "Reasons X would bitchslap me" folder methinks!

DWIronman_dbimpact_AnimaZero.zip

I like how there's an inescapable box in map04 that i got stuck in.

DNF E1M4

edit: category... 1? it's a blind playthrough but i saw an "Evo of the Wad" that played this.  All I remember is this one red keydoor where you guys were talking about a red door with skinny markers that was hard to find.  I found the door and was like, "oh... it's that door".  That is all I remember.  Oh and I remember E1M8 but i didn't get that far so doesn't count.

8 hours ago, BioRenegat said:

And, as a sidenote, is it ok to change brightness for these runs? Because dark levels are absolute bane of existence for my garbage eyes.

Changing brightness is okay I think, yes, though choosing what renderer to use could be a point of contention and I'd like to get some input from other members of the league, because while there's nothing in the rules that enforces one or the other there are plainly going to be times when darkness really plays into the difficulty of a set; and in Double Impact it's particularly harsh. Software render folk (like me!) are going to get shafted where GL will allow for cushy visibility.

For the time being, there are no restrictions on it but if you're the noble sort then you'll select a renderer that doesn't gimp the horror of the game in this context. I think adjusting brightness and contrast levels is fine, though (it totally smears the visuals and that's punishment enough :)).

50 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

I like how there's an inescapable box in map04 that i got stuck in.

Oof, that's a bad one. Tough luck. I'm amazed that wasn't picked up during testing (by me. I was on the testing team... for shame!).

Edited by Alfonzo

6 hours ago, Memfis said:

Rottking and Ralphis should record a coop run.

Make it a coop zombies run for maximum quality

Died at E1M8 (+1 secret level) .

Category 2 because I played the two first levels a long time ago.

Seriously , Double impact is maybe the toughest Ultimate Doom mapset that I know. Monsters are numerous and well hidden and a lot of traps become very quickly overwhelming. Also add the obscure rooms , confusing layouts , mortal pits ... At the last level , I was so surprised by the Cybie and the SM that I jumped in the slime and died. :)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/341887866705674241/441044277158608916/Roofi_IM_E1M8.lmp

9 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

I'd like to get some input from other members of the league

Anything but software mode with default brightness/contrast/gamma settings is TAS imo.

;)

dbimpact_ironman_alfnz.zip

Immediately ripped to shreds in e1m8 by a stubborn spiderdemon who refused to teleport away. Disappointed that I didn't get to have a fair go at that map because it was the one I was looking forward to the most, but I was pretty hard done by the roll of the dice so I can't be too hard on myself. Although, the follow-up attempts for fun indicated I probably wouldn't have fared much better anyway (even managed to trigger the soft-lock—nice!).

Important: Rottking has patched the WAD to fix the major bugs outlined in the OP as well as a number of other inconveniences found later in the set. If you are yet to record your run, please use this version instead of the /idgames one. The links for both versions will remain in the OP, with older runs being asterisked. Apologies for the inconvenience (and especially to NoisyVelvet!)!

Edited by Alfonzo : WAD updated

E1M2, category 1. I had fuck all health all the way. I really don't understand this game any more, nothing I saw was anything beyond what Knee-Deep in the Dead throws at you but the hitscanners slowly but surely tore me to shreds and it was impossible to recover :(

Also I killed a zombie in a single pistol shot at 0:30, even the game is mocking me at this point. Fuck you too Doom!

Damn, I was looking forward to my first Alfonzo quip, but all I got is my own! I'll go back to looking forward to the Combat Shock 2 quip. :D

Sounds like fun, but the restrictions sort of kill it for me, so I won't be participating in any official capacity.

I will give this a whirl, however.

EDIT:

Instead of double-posting, I'll just post the link to my death screenshot here.

https://imgur.com/a/GYD8mY2

I'm so good that without the restrictions I can die before I get to the trap you guys were referring to.

In other words: here's how to not do it.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos