Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FirebrandX

Your favorite stomping ground:

Death Match PSX Doom:

The Marshes was my home-town on PSX Doom Death Match. So much so that I was banned from playing it against any of the other players in town. I was already winning as it was, but my frag count would double in size if I went to this stage. Here's why:

1. Once started, there was no way for players escape my wrath by hitting the exit switch. Only rarely would a player respawn in the exit area, but by then the damage had been done.

2. It's the only Doom 1 stage that has a DBSG. Normally you have to play Doom 2 stages for the DBSG.

3. Health and weapons are well represented. There are 2 different ways to get double-deuces. So guarding doesn't work.

4. Night vision goggles and only one pair available.

5. This is where I get really filthy. There's a switch that turns the level really dark. I'd grab the only pair of night vision goggles and then hit the lights. The other player would be running along and then suddenly find himself having to squint at the screen to see anything. Meanwhile, I'm in fullbright vision with no worries. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. You can literally walk right up behind the other player and start blasting away. They start spinning around madly shooting and you just laugh as you keep pegging them!

I also used an ambush tactic once the players found out where the switch to turn the lights back on was. I'd do the usual night vision goggles and then hit the lights, then I'd camp a few yards away behind a corner. Here comes the fool wanting to turn the lights on... OUCH!!! A double load of buck shot right in the back! I often left the light switch area littered with bodies. Filthy, cheap, cowardly, and off limits after I beat the next best player 34 to zero.

So what level do you call home?

Never played the PSX. Does it have the two standard deathmatch modes? I mean deathmatch and altdeath. In the 1st weapons don't disappear when picked up but other items do, and weapons may be picked up once each per life. In altdeath most items and the weapons respawn after a bit. If so, which did you use? By the description it gives me the idea of altdeath...

PSX Doom Death Match only had 60-second respawn on everything. There was also a coop mode, but people ended up turning traiter on each other. There was this one time I kept beggin a friend to play coop with me. He warned me not to stab him in the back, but I did it anyway (with a rocket). So he says "alright, no more. I told you not to do that." I then apologized and swore I'd never do it again. I pleaded with him to give me another chance. Finally he gave in and I immediately shot him in the back again (another rocket). So this time he's pissed and refuses to play again. I then went on a 3-hour apology and assured him over and over that I'd never do it again. He kept saying he didn't believe me, but I kept telling him how I'd obviously not do it again since I know he would never forgive me. I kept begging and begging. After 3 hours of that, he very reluctantly gave me one last chance to play clean coop. This time I shot him in the back with a plasma rifle...

We never played coop again. :-)

The only game where I've ever played DM is UT (and even then only against bots). The map I know best, and where I have to turn the bots to a fairly high skill level to make it a challenge, is Liandri Central Core. The fact that the bots are so gormless when it comes to using the Redeemer is a big help. [Oh yeah, I can beat Godlike bots on Facing Worlds, but only because they are so crap at dealing with 1337 snipers :)]

Ahh yes, Facing Worlds and Sniping... Head shots 'O plenty! I also liked to play Deck 16 for some Sniping action. You know the coolest Sniping level I played online was one of those "We're all the size of mice" levels set in a game room with a pool table. There was a teleporter that took you to the cue-stick rack on the wall. Up there was a sniper rifle and plenty of ammo. I'd be playing with 15 other people and just peggin' heads all day. They would be so far away, they never could see where the shot was coming from. I could look at them with my scope zoomed all the way in and they would be looking all around to try and zero in on me. Too funny!!

This is getting too miscellaneous... heading for R&P.

Yeah, Facing worlds was an excellent map for sniping, I hope UT2k3's Facing worlds is just as good :D.

FirebrandX: Where would I find this pool table map, it sounds like fun :D

That reminds me of something I was wondering about recently: have there been any "we're all the size of mice" maps made for Doom?

[Happy now, myk?]

I don't recall ever having seen any, even though there was a deluge of them for Half-Life, for instance.

Wouldn't that need huge textures? Keep in mind that DOOM has a limit set to texture heights.

OK, that probably explains it: you could have the 3 metre high telephone, but the effect would be spoilt by the 30 metre high ceiling (or whatever).

Doom did start off the whole deathmatch business, so I don't think discussion of deathmatch in later games is too inappropriate here.

For instance, if a museum had a feature on 5th Century BC Athens, then it wouldn't be inappropriate for them to include an item charting democracy through the ages. Or something.

I call Phobos Anomaly home. It's a design classic, and I love the sense of approaching the Barons. Of course, by modern standards it's not that tough, but back in the day, phew.

Q2 : The Edge (hand grenades become astonishingly useful)

I like doom2's map01. Possibly because I'm very familiar with it, but also because it's fun and offers tight and interesting 1 on 1 matches with well defined strategic places and tactics, and you can use all the weapons. The fact that your opponents will most likely be as familiar with it as you is also cool.

I've never used any of the standard doom maps for DM. Only ever used my own levels. Coz my computer was so gay (old 486) that it made the game too slow. Thus I made some small maps, with minimal detail for perfect 1 on 1. IMO.
But one of my favourite stomping grounds would be LIMBO (E3L7). Good-looking level with challenging game play: if started from scratch.

Well, I've only ever DM'ed once and that was on Quake 2 - I remember Pumping Station 1 and crouching down in a nook/cranny opposite the crate with the bfg in it (near the broken pipe) and blasting my friend away whenever he went to get it....
hehehe.

"this demonstrates the value of not being seen"

Descent - Total Anarchy. Deathmatch fun for everyone! :)

Either that or the DM level in Quake that me and my friends called "The Hole" so many times we forgot the original name. :P

I always found Lunatic Fringe in Duke 3D for total havoc.

Lastly for Doom, (since I don't play it DM much) my fave is Unto the Cruel.

Although I bought a link cable for PSX Doom, which is my favorite Doom, all of my friends are PC players, so I only got to play it a few times. :(

LorD BaZTArD said:

FirebrandX: Where would I find this pool table map, it sounds like fun :D

I can't help you with the pool-table map, but here are links to reviews of two of the first HL maps of this type:
Rats
Turkeyburgers