Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

#1 is a tie between GZDoom and Doomsday for me.  #2 is Chocolate Doom.  I haven't played with DelphiDoom much, but it seemed pretty awesome as well, so count that as #3 for me.

1 hour ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

GZDoom.

My first source-port and favorite. Its really simple to use and has a lot of great stuff. It makes Doom run way better in modern systems and allows quite some personalization with its great list of in-game options. I'm not a connoisseur of programming, I actually feel a lil bit stupid in the forums cause theres lots of programmers and smart pc fans that actually understand a lot more about the source-port, but me?  I just love it because its simple and complete.

Same for me.

Cross between Crispy Doom and GZDoom. The former for vanilla play, the latter for Boom-compatibility / mods.

PRBoom+

I tend to play the IWADs with Chocolate Doom, and GZDoom when the wad/mod requires it, but i prefer using PRBoom+ whenever i can

PrBoom+ managed to seduce me and consequently became my favorite source port (originally it was GZDoom), but beside them I also like Eternity, Chocolate Doom, and use them from time to time or if a megawad demands a specific port.

It may be discontinued, but you can take ZDoom from me when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Edited by Urthar

PrBoom+

The only things it's missing for me are client/server for mp and heretic support. 

GZDoom fits all my needs and then some, but I'd like to also give points to 3DGE, DelphiDoom, Doom Retro, and Eternity. Not because I use them often (I don't), but mostly because I'm glad they exist and are treading new grounds, exploring their own paths for the development and extension of the Doom engine.

Oke, heres my quick response: i use Prboom+, GZDoom and Chocolate Doom mostly. I'll give a points to Eternity, Rised3D, 3DGE, ZDaemon and Zandronum too.

...Whats Odamex like? Ive only heard it a few times. What makes it different?

Zandronum.

GZDoom is a second pick because I use it whenever Zandronum can't run something.

Not even close to a contest, it's pr/glboom+ (if I had to pick one it would be glboom+ though because of the smoothness).

GZDoom takes every aspect of Doom and makes it worse along with having significantly worse performance, on top of already having poorly designed menus with nonsensical defaults making setup a huge hassle, especially for new players.

There's really no excuse for playing in a zdoom-based port as your main port (unless you consistently play in Brutal Doom or something, which may or may not be because you just don't like playing zdoom without mods), considering how wildly easy it is to install and use most other non-zdoom ports.

GZDoom for me,hands down.I love the customisation of everything in this port.

For single player, I like GZDoom and Zandronum for messing around with mods, and ZDoom for casual play.  For multiplayer, I prefer ZDaemon, especially for the weekly Thursday Night Survival session.

I'll have to go with Eternity for having a decent amount of accessibility and customization, while not messing too much with Doom's properties. I'd also give points to GZDoom (for its incredible accessibility and customization, plus solid mod support) and Zandronum (Online, nuff said).

So, if we're using Doomkid's system I'll go with:

5 Points - Eternity Engine

3 Points - GZDoom

2 Points - Zandronum

I can't host a server in GZDoom, and ZDaemon and Odamex are still based on ZDoom 1.2 from 1999, so Zandronum gets my vote.

I use PRBoom+ and ZDoom only. I don't have a graphics card that can run OpenGL well, which is why GZDoom is a problem for me (yet some how the older versions ran pretty well. Windows 10 Creator's Update royally screwed my Doom 64 EX too) 

5 minutes ago, DeadAstronaut said:

Windows 10 Creator's Update royally screwed my Doom 64 EX too)

Fuck that update. Got my PC's Doom 64 EX bullshitted.

Windows 10 Fall Creator's update got my PC bullshitted again, but I am fine now.

4 hours ago, bonnie said:

There's really no excuse for playing in a zdoom-based port as your main port

ZDoom was the first port I used. I'm accustomed to ZDoom-based ports. ZDoom mouse is very different to PrBoom+ mouse. PrBoom+ virtually unplayable as a result of being impossible to get it to mimic ZDoom's. I tried, I really did.