Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

So where does your username come from?

Me, is a few large history

Me was 5 years old , and i heard the name : Gaia, i like that ( i write a history of him) And that's where it came the Gaia and the 74 is from my favorite number xD

It has some really dumb and stupid origins

Sometime, during the early Doom Connector days (2005 i think?), stupid 14 year old me, thought it would be pretty funny to set my multiplayer name as "FuckerOfDoom" and at that moment i thought i was being clever and funny until i was chased by a moderator into a server room and he told me to either change my name or be banned, so in a hurry i changed it to "DoomMarine", a few weeks later i shortened it to "DMmarine". Since DMmarine was a very generic name, and because me and some friends we're talking about greek gods at the time, and because Phobos is the setting of knee deep in the dead in the original doom, DMmarine became DMPhobos, and i've stuck with it ever since.

I loved Colossal Cave Adventure growing up and made its magic word my username, as well as the nickname of the blue guy you see here.

The two numbers computers think in are only there because without them, I would have a username that is already taken. And no amount of case-sensitive-ness (?) can change that.

How? Well, just being myself and came up with something really simple. :)

I look forward to @Linguica's response of "I was 14 and saw some meat."

Well i am a user of sawed-off shotguns and because sawed-off shotgun user is a bit long i named myself sosu :D

An older sister of mine was always a bitch, so we called her grouchbag. I thought it was funny, sooo there it is. My sister still has no sense of humor. I do. :)

I am pretty crappy with usernames and they may end up being pure cringe at times, but I like to have a special name.

Here I chose to have ShotgunDemolition as my name, because, surprise surprise, I love the shotgun in Doom.

I liked it, but it was a bit long. Then I changed it to ShoDemo, because a friend called me like that one day and I liked it more. Plus it doesn't sound as ridiculous.

I took lyrics from a David Bowie song.

"Mars happy nation, sit on my karma
Dame meditation, take me away"

Almost all of my usernames are tied to music in one way or another.

16 minutes ago, geo said:

I look forward to @Linguica's response of "I was 14 and saw some meat."

Hah! That would be awesome though if Linguica were to comment on here.

27 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

Me, is a few large history

Me was 5 years old , and i heard the name : Gaia, i like that ( i write a history of him) And that's where it came the Gaia and the 74 is from my favorite number xD

Isn't Gaia the personification of Earth?

My username was inspired by, well, as if my avatar didn't make it clear enough, the Toshinden series of games. Long long ago, I used to be 'the shinjo2002', but then IIRC, I forgot my password.

You know how I like nu metal and some of the bands have intentional misspellings?

1 minute ago, rdwpa said:

Good question. 

Yeah. Now answer the question, all-knowing member!

4 minutes ago, A Cacodemon said:

Isn't Gaia the personification of Earth?

yes, but i write other Gaia xD

Just now, A Cacodemon said:

Yeah. Now answer the question, all-knowing member!

There are only two people here on DoomWorld who know what "rdwpa" stands for to begin with, and something tells me it'll stay that way. ;-)

1 minute ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Yes, Gaea/Gaia is the personification of Earth in Classical Greek myth.

I was running around Wiktionary trying to find a possible masculine form of the word (Greek) and I stumbled across the most magnificent article on the site.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hell_on_earth#English

*Impressively loud clapping* 

1 minute ago, Gaia74 said:

Anyways, i like so much the name xD

Admittedly a good name.

1 minute ago, A Cacodemon said:

*Impressively loud clapping* 

Why am I even clapping this much?

Now we just need someone to adopt the name Ouranos and our Classical Greek Primordial pantheon will be complete.

Off this site, on imgur, primarily, I have an older username of Monitor1863, which comes from the Battle of Hampton Roads on March 9, 1863 in the American Civil War, in which the ironclad vessel USS Monitor faced the former USS Merrimack, CSS Virginia at that time.