Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Purple Version!

Excellent stuff, we have our first submission! I popped it in the mappers list and I'll give it a run through tonight. Cheers Benjogami!

If you want more purple resources, wouldn't Stardate 20X6 and its sequel be a good place to look?

Alright @Benjogami, just finished playing your map on UV: rollicking good time, gotta say. Here's my thoughts.

-There's a couple of small sectors where the sky wasn't transferred: I've fixed that already.

-The Grells actually gave me some good trouble, although I eventually managed to nix 'em in the outdoor area where there's more room. If you wanna box the player in a little more, I'd recommend sprinkling some single-use monster teleport lines in the room they come out of: just teleport 'em outside to surprise the player. Silent teleporter if you wanna be a little more evil. :P

-The Imp rush is pretty cool, but I'd recommend not teleporting them to the raised areas in the middle of the outdoor area: they're kind of sitting ducks and sometimes there's too many of them for them to even shoot due to clustering. The Archie is a little toothless as well, being all exposed on the raised floor: maybe have it hidden until the key is picked up? I'd add a second Archie around that area too to put some panic in the players, but that's just me.

-This one regards one of the secrets.

Spoiler

The second secret with the BFG is a little un-intuitive: maybe have the non-impassable bars have the translucency effect on them as a subtle heads up?

-The marines are kinda neat where they are, but they mostly exist to get slaughtered spectacularly by the Cyberdemons when they emerge. That I'm not so down on though, due to it being fucking funny. :P

-The infighting between the Cybs and the Immolators is really goddamn fun to navigate. Kudos, definitely my favourite part of the map.

-The Archies are an interesting touch, but as they are you can essentially skip two of them on your way to the exit. Having the monster closets open while the players are in the same pit might help that out.

I think that covers it. Despite what the nitpicking might imply, I did indeed enjoy myself playing your map: it's a fine addition to the project. :)

3 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

If you want more purple resources, wouldn't Stardate 20X6 and its sequel be a good place to look?

Probably!  I had (understandable and totally justified) rights issues last time I used the set so I kind of instinctively went to the other purple resource pack when the purple version came to mind.

Fuzzball is also putting out new things all the time, could be a good debut here

10 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Alright @Benjogami, just finished playing your map on UV: rollicking good time, gotta say. Here's my thoughts.

[...]

Oh man, some mean ideas! ;)

You helped me think of a better imp teleport destination; I'll definitely do that. I'll try out a subtle change to the secret as well, but I'm pretty okay with unintuitive in this case. I'm also okay with all the viles in the map being kinda non-threatening, since they're mostly meant be consequential during certain strategies. If the strategy is to hit the switches in an order such that you can exit while avoiding 2 of them, nicely done. :D

Which are the offending sky sectors?

Damn this is something that really mixes up Mayhem. Not sure if I'll be able to get around to making a map for this since I have other projects that have been on the back burner for some time (and university stuff as a priority). Kind of a shame because it seems pretty cool from the resources I've seen so far.

3 hours ago, Benjogami said:

Which are the offending sky sectors?

They're the sectors tagged 25, the ones used in detailing the building.

Similar boat with Aquila above me. The map for Purple will probably end up being a speedmap of sorts, unless I get a big burst of energy and finish the map for Orange in record time.

I might make something for this one.

Is using the cutom textures and monsters the only rule? Or are there limits to size, thing count or other things like that?

I should be able to get started on my map for this one tomorrow or the day after. Hopefully I'll be able to crank it out in three or four days like the one for Orange.

Progress bump. Most of my screenshots from this one are on the Post Your Doom Image thread, but I'll put these here.

Spoiler

amw9ZRq.png

The cave of really fucking dark.

JZOMk0x.png

p6QgkNu.png

I've no idea where this is going. I might scrap it or something, we'll have to see.

Regardless, I intend to contribute a map to this project just like Orange.

Edit: Oh, also, GZDB screenshot, since I just figured this one out.

1686861813_AC-MAYhemPurpleat2018_05.1021-32-29.350R2787.jpg.c002f566bb7eb9cfc415eb3248bf6663.jpg

The origin point near the bottom is where the players start.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

Today I started working on a map for this project 🙂 I already composed a song for it (you can listen to it here  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJq1N9DsKHwSjRBsJ-CB_OQ_zBCuzG5L/view?usp=drivesdk ) but its an ogg and the midi export of the daw I made it in sucks and is super bare bones so I am enlisting the help of @Jimmy to make the midi sound nice too 🙂 Oh I also plan to try to make the map as absolutely purple as possible, hopefully you won't see any other color by the time I am done hehe

Progress bump.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180511_153337.png.4efe79463532b53f9e20985f9775f66f.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180511_153354.png.579616dc51fd496e43892267f4420170.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180511_153359.png.7b0aa52433bcf7ff0021d81010329c1a.png

It is now possible too obtain all three skull keys. It is also possible to do so in any order.

Now exiting is possible. Once I build the exit.

Also, GZDB screenshot for those interested.

1051476823_AC-MAYhemPurpleat2018_05.1115-30-16.965R2787.jpg.9e4670b9086c7adb0fca1134dc568571.jpg

I did a titlepic - if you like it, use it! Counterpart stored in the spoiler below. I will probably work on the dithered nonsense and tidy this up by hand but I'll save the effort in case you have something else in mind.

2948db1c7f412dad98485d75005ff202.png

Spoiler

f8d0e8dd52fb83cc04298176e1b5785f.png

Oh, man, that sounds quite fun, I would like to participate (well, at least try to, since I'm not exatly most experienced mapper in the universe), but excuse me for my obliviousness, but I have several quite boring questions:

What is the difficulty we are supposed to aim at? I'm pretty sure that submitting map with 1000 arch-viles is a little bit too much, but also maps with "vanilla" difficulty is just not enough. 

Is there any other theme besides making your map so purple until you go fully blind? Or we can go with any setting like "outdoors" or "UAC base" and e.t.c?

And the last one will be continuity. Are we supposed to have any? Or does map just needs to be "pistol start" one?

Welp, that's pretty much it, I hope I'm not bothering you folks with my idiocy.

30 minutes ago, BioRenegat said:

What is the difficulty we are supposed to aim at? I'm pretty sure that submitting map with 1000 arch-viles is a little bit too much, but also maps with "vanilla" difficulty is just not enough. 

There aren't too many restrictions regarding difficulty, outside for the extremes of course. Make your map as difficult or easy as you like within reason and I'll slot it in to make a decent curve of difficulty.

Is there any other theme besides making your map so purple until you go fully blind?

Heh. Outside of what's already in place (using the textures and the monsters), there aren't really any restrictions to speak of. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask me.

And the last one will be continuity. Are we supposed to have any? Or does map just needs to be "pistol start" one?

I'm not too worried about continuity: like I said, I'll be ordering maps on difficulty and that generally tends to help even out any bumps.

Welp, that's pretty much it, I hope I'm not bothering you folks with my idiocy.

Not at all! If you don't ask questions you'll never learn anything. :)

Edited by Obsidian

8 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

There aren't too many restrictions regarding difficulty, outside for the extremes of course. Make your map as difficult or easy as you like within reason and I'll slot it in to make a decent curve of difficulty.

8 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

I'm not too worried about continuity: like I said, I'll be ordering maps on difficulty and that generally tends to help even out any bumps.

Ah, right, well that pretty much answers everything. Thank you for a quick response. 

Screenshot_Doom_20180513_195551.png.e886aaae9a80d45cca47ce58b9500755.png

So, before I continue adding more parts/details, is this aesthetically alright? Or should it be more purple or perhaps just different?

That looks plenty purple to me. 🙂 Nice rocks, too.

Definitely be careful with that STARG* alignment though - it's a texture that by nature looks very wallpaper-ish on angled walls.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Definitely be careful with that STARG* alignment though - it's a texture that by nature looks very wallpaper-ish on angled walls.

After reading this I decided to check textures, and noticed exactly what you said, now it's fixed, thanks for spot on advice.

4 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Good job on the natural aesthetic, too.

Once I noticed that there were some puprle trees, I just couldn't resist making an outside area. Now I have to keep on going with this map and not screw up with gameplay, since it's the most important part after all.