Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

So where does your username come from?

Aside from the obvious connection which helped solidify me using it to this day (that and it's somewhat-uniqueness, in that I rarely need to use another name since I never use numbers), my username actually came from when I was younger and needed a name for starcraft 1's battle.net. My brother and I sat there at the computer for a bit, he got impatient with me being all indecisive and whatnot after the first couple stupid names I wanted were taken, we looked at the computer speakers we had and saw they either said Fouze or Fonze (the font made it impossible to tell) and so that's what I went with. Turned out it wasn't taken and I've stuck with it since.

"Yuki" is Japanese for "snow".  I winter immensely, especially when it's all snowy outside.  And since I speak some Japanese, it seemed fun to use the Japanese term for "snow".

"Raven" is because ravens are one of my favorite animals, and are important to me spiritually as well.  Plus there's one tattooed on my arm.

So.... YukiRaven.

Needed a new username to post about a Hexen related project (that I still haven't finished).

Was playing some Hexen PWAD where I was hacking apart a whole bunch of ettins in a swamp with Timon's Axe (might've been Stonegate, but I'm not totally sure... swamp where you hack apart a bunch of ettins isn't exactly the most unique setting in a Hexen WAD).

Put on a song by what was my favorite band at the time when I was done playing.

The rest is history; it's stuck pretty well since it's a unique handle that no one else uses anywhere.

15 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Now we just need someone to adopt the name Ouranos and our Classical Greek Primordial pantheon will be complete.

Off this site, on imgur, primarily, I have an older username of Monitor1863, which comes from the Battle of Hampton Roads on March 9, 1863 in the American Civil War, in which the ironclad vessel USS Monitor faced the former USS Merrimack, CSS Virginia at that time.

Darn. I should've named myself Kratos Kronus. That way I can tell everyone that I eat children.

My original username was Piper Maru, named after my favorite X-Files episode of the same name. I have since changed it to Ex Oblivione, named after the prose poem written by H.P. Lovecraft.

8 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Needed a new username to post about a Hexen related project (that I still haven't finished).

Was playing some Hexen PWAD where I was hacking apart a whole bunch of ettins in a swamp with Timon's Axe (might've been Stonegate, but I'm not totally sure... swamp where you hack apart a bunch of ettins isn't exactly the most unique setting in a Hexen WAD).

Put on a song by what was my favorite band at the time when I was done playing.

The rest is history; it's stuck pretty well since it's a unique handle that no one else uses anywhere.

I'm extremely sorry.

Timon's Axe.png

20 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

"Yuki" is Japanese for "snow".  I winter immensely, especially when it's all snowy outside.  And since I speak some Japanese, it seemed fun to use the Japanese term for "snow".

"Raven" is because ravens are one of my favorite animals, and are important to me spiritually as well.  Plus there's one tattooed on my arm.

So.... YukiRaven.

Birds are good people.

1 minute ago, loveless said:

Birds are good people.

I like me some birbs.

23 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

Didn't you practise witchcraft?

44 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Good question. 

really don't want personal attacks

riveting doves will personify arseholery

renovating derelict warehouses pretty amazingly

real doomer with perfect aim

resident doppelgangers wait patiently aaaa

One of these days I'll get it...

Mine started as a play on words but afterwords I heard a song by Indica that mentioned that his name is Halfblind and so the name kind of stuck. My email reads HalfblindChaos and in hindsight that is the name that I should have chose. Either that or simply BlindChaos because if chaos was a real being then he would be blind.

6 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

One of these days I'll get it...

You have a half-decent acrostic.

1 minute ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I'd like to hear @Xaser's story and find out if it came from X-Ray lasers like I think.

Again, it would be cool if Xaser appeared here.

Quoting myself from the past:

Some time ago, I was getting tired of getting that "This username already exists" message, so I started thinking about a name, but nothing came to my mind. I decided to search for weird words in English, and I found "kvell" which means "to feel happy and proud". I added "er" at the end just to add something. And I added caps 'cause why not.

Come to think of it, the er is used for a person that makes an action (like play - player) so it sounds like "the one that feels happy and proud". Proud of what?? I didn't think about that at the time, but whatever, at least there aren't 100 people with the same name as me anymore.

_________

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

Really Dreadful Warlock in Power Armor

Primarily to update my previous username that is too lame to mention. Also I like silver (as in the element) and thought it would be a clever name.

3 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Quoting myself from the past:

_________

Really Dreadful Warlock in Power Armor

Both of them are pretty clever. Good job!

Eris comes from the dwarf planet, and I don't remember why it's falling but there we ago. It's been in use for 7 years, but nowadays it's only used in connection to Doom - I use my real name for music and 'Thorsten' in the few other places I can be found.

thorsten actually goes back a few years too, my friends haven't called me by my actual name since :)

@KVELLER

Reverend Derek Wilson, Parrot Abomination 

9 minutes ago, Eric the Sandvich said:

Not my first username, but I was big in TF2 and played music regularly in-game. So it was first 'Eric is currently playing music' then 'Eric the Sandvich'.

I also like TF2, too.

1 minute ago, Eris Falling said:

Eris comes from the dwarf planet, and I don't remember why it's falling but there we ago. It's been in use for 7 years, but nowadays it's only used in connection to Doom - I use my real name for music and 'Thorsten' in the few other places I can be found.

thorsten actually goes back a few years too, my friends haven't called me by my actual name since :)

Maybe Eris was falling because you thought about Pluto?

Mine is the simple combination of my second name with the second name of my girlfriend, and the X is because I like how it sounds, it reminds me of a T rex, however I have the disadvantage that in multiplayer, people usually call me with'' Ani ''... and it does not sound very masculine to be said. Haha. Oh, and the 1009 is a totally random number.

I don't even know, it prolly dates when I was fascinated by Mayhem, so I ended up naming all my accounts with the band's name. I should have changed it a long time ago by now ...

3 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

I don't even know, it prolly dates when I was fascinated by Mayhem, so I ended up naming all my accounts with the band's name. I should have changed it a long time ago by now ...

Your icon is absolutely fucking horrifying.

5 minutes ago, A Cacodemon said:

Your icon is absolutely fucking horrifying.

And... A Cacodemon is probably the cuttest demon in classic doom.

Started as CARRiON+FLOWER, which is a real flower that smells of deceased bodies. I found it morbidly beautiful. I shortened it to just CARRiON, because I often feel like rotten decaying flesh anyways. Especially when the insomnia hits.

Sometimes I'll make it CARRiON-XCII, the number has significance to me.

E: At one point I thought about Muerte+Perro