Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

So where does your username come from?

1 minute ago, CARRiON said:

Started as CARRiON+FLOWER, which is a real flower that smells of deceased bodies. I found it morbidly beautiful. I shortened it to just CARRiON, because I often feel like rotten decaying flesh anyways. Especially when the insomnia hits.

Sometimes I'll make it CARRiON-XCII, the number has significance to me.

That sucks.

It's something from the depths of childhood ...

Initially, I came up with the name "Storm", for naming profiles in various games. When it first appeared, I do not remember ... At that time, on my first computer with 3 GB HDD and 16 MB of RAM (at my father's workplace), besides my first games there was a large collection of music. These were tracks named MUSIK.01.mp3 ... 02 ... 03 etc. Basically, these were tracks in the genre of disco or pop from the 80's and 90's. There were no tags in the files (and at that time I did not know what it was) because I recognized the songs by ear. One song from the collection stood out against the others and made me listen to myself over and over again - MUSIK.77. But I did not know what it's called then. Already much later I find out that this is "Scorpions - Wind Of Change".

When we had the first home computer (not that old), I called my first profile as Storm.77 ... Later, when I first met Painkiller, I noticed the logo "Dreamcatcher" on the intro and thought: "Hmm ... this it would sound interesting. " So there was StormCatcher.77.

Already in the "Internet age" (this is 2011 :3) I found out that this word is not deprived of meaning... and title "Storm Catcher" even carries a one movie ... But this is all. For me now this name is just a cool anglicism...

Began as Cyanosis in late 2010, changed to cyan0s1s sometime after 2014. The latter's significance was to make it easier to find me on the internet (and not confuse me for another Cyanosis), it also helped if the previous title had been taken. It holds two personal associations regarding the numbers; Ichi from Ichi the Killer, and the Eagle's race number from Carmageddon II. The overall inspiration for the name was an opposite reaction to my previous long-running handle, BurningCadavre, which signified heat and the color red, Cyanosis would embody cold and the color blue. Its real-life association also just makes it much more unpleasant and reflected a drastic shift in my personality and the events occurring in my life at the time.

+1 this thread

Th Bridgeburners are the elite military squad that a large part of The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. It is the most convoluted, expansive, dark, epic fantasy series every written (IMO). 10 books (8000ish pages) of jaw dropping magnificence. Better than the Dark Tower series and I'm a Steven King fan boy.

A friend and I were obsessed with the number 5.6 when I was younger (we were/are weird) so that's where the 56 comes from. I only use this when my name is already taken which happens more often than I would have thought.

I think you guys know where i got mine. But i actually used this username before i joined Doomworld in Space Station 13 a long time ago.

The Space Twins were founded in 1993 by Weezer guitarist Brian Bell and, his then girlfriend, Susan Fox. Initially, the band was a small project in which the two would dress up in Star Trek-style outfits with pipe-cleaner antennae, playing silly songs at kid's birthday parties. The duo even had nicknames for one other: SpaceHelmet and Moonboot.

Using Gato303 on many of my artwork sites.

Comes from "Cat" in spanish, I love cats

When talking about Doom or Quake I changed for Gato606

6 for the number of the beast, and 606, cause 666 is too mainstream XD

Decided to take a nickname of protagonist of famous 3D game from ID Software (you must know if you're a fan of Doom) and add a number 34 (why 34? I don't want to say). 

I got mine from a character in Quest For Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness (an old point and click adventure game from 1993 which I really love) who was supposed to be some sort of Cthulhu inspired being from another dimension who wields the power of darkness, and it got trapped and petrified between dimensions after an unsuccessful summoning.

00054ac6-d99c-b62a-a333-a0754e6a3ad7_958.jpgQuest_for_Glory_IV_-_Shadows_of_Darkness_Coverart.png

After my main forum closed permanently (after 9yrs) I looked for another name I could use for the forums I spend my time on, one that I won't just keep changing "whenever I'm in the mood", as is usually the case with the avatars. That name was connected to that place so it wouldn't have made any sense to keep on using it.

And so this name popped up in my mind, which is also the name of a cartoon character that I like (though I wouldn't actually go as far as count him among my favorites) and it has some other, personal meaning to me, and I've been using it ever since.

I took Eliezer from the bible a long time ago... ten years maybe... mix it with a personal name (Similar to a plague...), and "whala'!"... oh, and i almost forget, a little StarCraft tribute just to close the name...

It's what I used in the Gong Appreciation Society at Cambridge. Not as cool as Psi-Om, but my name's not Simon.

I'll give you one guess

10 hours ago, geo said:

My mother was crazy enough to name me Geo. [...] I should also add that I dated a girl named Terra and it was spelled that way too. It was a rocky relationship.

zappaeyeroll.gif

It's not yet a year since the last time I posted this, but whatever:

No-Durian-Sign-Singapore.jpg

lol instead of giving the origin with my name i'll spoil some of the other users:

@Xaser: thats his actual name i think. Quite rad if thats true :D

@Benjogami: "Toilet god" in Japanese

Edited by Catpho

6 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

As I understand it, in the original Hebrew, the number is actually 616.

Weird trivia that's useless in every conceivable situation, I'm full of it.

It's numerology.

616 corresponds to NERO CAESAR

666 corresponds to NERON CAESAR

Neron being the Greek form of Nero. Yeah, the Beast is really the much-maligned Roman emperor.

Shaggy2dope from the Insane Clown Posse and a fucked up Aussie screamo esque artist McBushpig. I hate both of these "artists" and I'm not a fan of screamo or the Insane Clown Posse, just thought the names sounded cool put together.

Rap is my favourite genre though, which these two people claim to produce, they are just terrible at it.