Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

My favourite is Zandronum because when I try and run Doom on the school computers, zandronum runs it best. GZdoom is just a laggy mess, though that's probably just because I didn't set it up right.

I choose GZDoom, not only for its modding capabilities...but because I haven't tried the other ports besides Vanilla and Zdoom. :p

Someday I need to give PRBoom+ a whirl.

all of the arguments earlier are why i'm really designating a spread of 4 engines my "favorite". there's overlap with all of them, but each one is developed into a specific niche. GZDoom is perfect for all the super complicated fancy levels with all the scripting and custom objects and whatnot, but it is no good at vanilla compat, and I'm fine with that. When its time to play the latest vanilla (or boom, really) compatible megawad, I can load up prboom+, play with complevels (relying on magic numbers for complevels is a little annoying, but its there at least). EE's niche is a bit weirder, but its still been established so far with crazy portals, which have been used in vaporware demo and mothership (I really wish I could throw in more examples here, agh), and Mordeth sounds like he's doing a pretty good job beating everything possible out of it. EE tends to also be a solid choice for some levelsets like AA since it supports a blend of MAPINFO that allows breaking the maps up into episodes without having to informally do it with death exits only. And then chocolate is there to be absolutely pedantic that any map developed will run in vanilla.

Zandronum and Crispy Doom.

Zandronum is far and away the best multiplayer port and has enough ZDoom compatibility for my needs, while Crispy Doom is great for that vanilla+ feeling without the glut of extra features and options that pr+ seems to have.

I kind of wish there was a "Crispy Boom/MBF" as a middle ground, but eh, Zandronum plays Boom WADs well enough.

Same question – same answer.

GZDoom, DOOM Retro and Zandronum.

I don't want to reiterate the reasons.

49 minutes ago, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

OP just REEEEEE'd out of here. Let's figure out how to keep track of this.

someone could make a bot that keeps track of every time a sourceport was mentioned by a different user? but, i don't know how to do so, and i don't know anyone else who does either

Well these are most (if not all) of the votes in this thread:

Chocolate Doom: YukiRaven, Agent6, DoomeroHispalense, Catpho, InsanityBringer, DMPhobos, GuyNamedErick, Bauul, EngineerKappa, zokum, The_SloVinator, joshthenesnerd, vesperas

GZDoom: Anidrex_1009, Caffeine Freak, YukiRaven, Apaul27, cyan0s1s, HAK3180, ZeroTheEro, Ajora, Aquila Chrysaetos, MFG38, Cacodemon345, Gez, Catpho, Zulk RS, InsanityBringer, DMPhobos, Killer5, SP_FACE1, DaIcemann76, SGS Man, Hell Theatre, EngineerKappa, The_SloVinator, Bridgeburner56, Fulgrim, amackert, Lizardcommando, Bauul, SOSU, riderr3, obake, Ye_Illuminator, Manuel-K

PrBoom+: Caffeine Freak, mun, GhoulDesecrator, Agent6, DoomeroHispalense, Zahid, Fonze, Catpho, Eris Falling, bonnie, GuyNamedErick, DeadAstronaut, InsanityBringer, DMPhobos, rehelekretep, Killer5, galileo31dos01, amackert, loveless, riderr3

ZDoom: Caffeine Freak, Ex Oblivione, mun, Urthar, DaIcemann76, DeadAstronaut, galileo31dos01, amackert, Lizardcommando, joshthenesnerd

GLBoom+: bonnie, GuyNamedErick, galileo31dos01, Aquila Chrysaetos

Zandronum: Catpho, Doomkid, Teder, Zulk RS, Killer5, SP_FACE1, DaIcemann76, SGS Man, Empyre, GuyNamedErick, Lorenz0, Lizardcommando, Grimosaur, Ye_Illuminator, Manuel-K

Eternity Engine: Agent6, Catpho, Jon, Edward850, Gez, InsanityBringer, SGS Man, zokum

DelphiDoom: Gez

Crispy Doom: mun, cyan0s1s, HAK3180, Killer5, Bauul, galileo31dos01, The_SloVinator, Woolie Wool, The Mysterious Moustachio,

Doomsday Engine: Caffeine Freak, YukiRaven, Ye_Illuminator

ZDaemon: Catpho, DaIcemann76

Odamex: DoomeroHispalense

3DGE: Catpho, Gez

Doom Retro: Gez, Manuel-K

Risen3D: Catpho

Chocolate Heretic: galileo31dos01

Doom2.exe: zokum

Boom: The_SloVinator

Skulltag: Lizardcommando, Ye_Illuminator

Doom Legacy: Bauul, riderr3

doom2-plus v1.9: Woolie Wool

QZDoom: Woolie Wool

You could always create a multiple-choice poll to keep track of things, and include a bigger list of source ports and make the voter names public.

23 hours ago, printz said:

Why did they choose to discontinue Heretic support? Anything from Heretic that slows down Crispy's development?

"They" probably means me here. As @Fonze already quoted, Crispy Heretic has never seen any serious development after the initial Crispy release. It is years behind in terms of features and fixes compared to Crispy Doom. The reasons are that I am mostly the only developer working on Crispy and have to arrange my limited time and that I simply have no deeper interest in the non-Doom games.

18 hours ago, esselfortium said:

@Hell Theatre

Graf, stop using your sockpuppet to talk up your own port, ya big baby

Shocking, how did you know this?

pr/glboom+ should be the same option.

edit nevermind you can pick multiple

6 minutes ago, Catpho said:

My other pick: 3DGE

Daaaaaamn I fucking KNEW I'd leave something obvious off the list and now I can't edit it!

No love for DOOM Retro?

It's an MBF compatible fork of Chocolate Doom, and one of the nicest looking software renderers.

Skulltag. It was easy to find matches online when it was still active.

PRBoom+/GZDoom for single-player, depending on the wad. And Zandronum for multiplayer.

6 minutes ago, Urthar said:

No love for DOOM Retro?

Since it appears to lack demo recording functions, which niche does it cover that PRBoom+ or GZDoom currently don't?

Edited by Spectre01

Politicians can vote for themselves in an election so I don't see why I can't vote for Eternity.

8 minutes ago, Urthar said:

It's an MBF compatible fork of Chocolate Doom, and one of the nicest looking software renderers.

No dogs in Doom Retro?