Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

10 minutes ago, Urthar said:

No love for DOOM Retro?

It's an MBF compatible fork of Chocolate Doom, and one of the nicest looking software renderers.

I could have sworn I put that on this list! Blah, I'm bad at this.

13 hours ago, AlexMax said:

I kind of wish there was a "Crispy Boom/MBF" as a middle ground, but eh, Zandronum plays Boom WADs well enough.

its called prboom+ ...

15 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Since it appears to lack demo recording functions, which niche does it cover that PRBoom+ or GZDoom currently don't?

It's not really competing with PRBoom+ or GZDoom, it's more part of the Choco/Crispy branch of source ports but with a lot of subtle enchancements.

On 5/7/2018 at 12:56 AM, Edward850 said:

Curious. What GPU do you have? Doom64 Ex uses a super old OpenGL spec that AMD does not play nice with.

1803 fixes legacy mouse support, even with 7-zip. I have given you the information, at one point you will have to accept it.

Intel (R) HD Graphics. I was told last year that the Intel card was my problem, but Doom 64 EX ran just fine until the Windows Creator's Update during the spring of last year. I'm not very tech savvy with Windows 10. This was a machine with a Windows 8.1 that I upgraded to 10 and for a while it was working fine until that Creator's Update has put it a bit out of whack.  

1 hour ago, Urthar said:

No love for DOOM Retro?

The only thing i remember from it is the "gibbing" zombiemen and shotgun guys with the ssg :p

#1. PrBoom+ / GLBoom+

#2. ZDaemon

#3. GZDoom

Honorable mention goes to the Doom Legacy, which is the very first source port that I used, other than vanilla doom.exe and Doom 95.

Nice, I can pick more than one, I picked GZDoom, Zandronum and ZDaemon, I use Zandronum and ZDaemon the most, GZDoom when I want to try stuff Zandronum can't run.

Just now, printz said:

Aren't PrBoom+ and GLBoom+ the same port?

Doomkid probably wanted to distinguish software and GL mode.

My choices still the same

Here is my top three:

1) PrBoom+, for excellent and extended demo support, I use it almost for everything, except ZDoom wads.
2) GZDoom, because some cool mods and also for wads which can not run in PrBoom+. GL renderer preferred.
3) Doom Legacy, because it's the first source port which I used back in the days, that time I learn many Doom tricks.

Also Doom 95 is counted as source port? There are no source provided from this (as I know).

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

Also Doom 95 is counted as source port? There are no source provided from this (as I know).

It's a port from the source, so it's a source port. It doesn't matter whether or not there is public access to the source port's source.

For example of things that aren't source ports, you have the GBA Doom II and SNES Doom. These weren't based on the Doom source code. (They're still ports, since they're porting the game to a different platform; but they're not source ports.) Likewise, @jmickle66666666's NASTY isn't a source port because it's deliberately not using the source code. There are a few others, too.

GZDoom for mods, limit-removing, and replaying vanilla stuff. Crispy Doom for first impressions vanilla stuff and limit-removing that isn't Boom-compatible. Doom Retro would be my 'other' for limit-removing that is Boom-compatibility specifically, when the features I want are implemented (lost souls not flying over items and static objects not blocking projectiles). In other words, GZD is 100% modern out-the-ass (mouse aiming required, weapon wheel, always running, not switching to new weapon upon pickup etc.) and the other ports should preserve original behavior while offering SOME modern conveniences (uncapped frame rate, colored blood, brightmaps) without altering the gameplay.

Choom (Chocolate Doom) 2.3.0 only! 3.0.0 have little worse sound quality. I LOVE vanilla physics, crispy sounds, mouse feel, pixels dancing everywhere... Rough game must have rough look. I also have tried Doomsday and Zdoom. HW acceleration makes disaster from games which were designed on SW renderer. Zdoom does not let me to turn off balls transparency, changes mouse feel and physics, have terrible fuzz effect, does not play vanilla demos etc...

Prboom+ or eternity could be a good choice for you, but you'll need fiddle with settings a bit to make comfortable to use. Both keeps vanilla compatibility, demos and such. 

@Rimantas

PrBoom+: Speed. Easily 100-300fps and can handle huge, huge maps like COMATOSE.WAD when other engines can't

DOOM Retro: Very good 'details' fork of Chocolate DOOM. If it gets true widescreen resolutions and map stats then I'll switch to this

23 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Prboom+ or eternity could be a good choice for you, but you'll need fiddle with settings a bit to make comfortable to use. Both keeps vanilla compatibility, demos and such. 

@Rimantas

Eternity lags little, changing framerate settings didn't help. PrBoom+ would be perfect if not lack of treble in sounds, everything sounds like in zdoom with resampler have set to linear or any other ("no interpolation" gave best sound). Doom Retro lags terribly, menu lags less and its sounds doubles... Crispy Doom lacks sound quality too. I think Windows XP doesn't like SDL 2. So i stay with Choom 2.3.0 :)

You really should update your Windows and give Doom Retro and Crispy Doom another try.

GZDoom. There are some annoying aspects to it, but so many mods and maps are made for it I can't NOT use it. And Zandronum for online of course. I've tried PrBoom+, but the mouse feels really bad, even after much fiddling with sensitivity.

Edited by whirledtsar