Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TerminusEst13

[GZDoom] Doom: But It's Completely Fucking Unplayable

I would brag about beating Nuts 2 with this, but I turned off aim lag and view rolling and didn't 100% the level, so I may as well have fucking cheated. Anyway, I award this WAD a barf/10. Barf is a number now.

The lens of the human eye turns the image upside down before it reaches the receptors. According to kids' anatomy textbooks, "the brain flips the image right side up again", but it probably doesn't and we're none the wiser. So really, this is probably how the world really looks like. Or at least, how birds see it with their more straightforward eye anatomy.

4 hours ago, rdwpa said:

WooⱭ is a fitting name as well.

If you can make that font spin and have insanely erratic movements, then yeah, it's a fitting name.

I made it to the slime room en E1M1. Not gonna fire it up again, ever. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to vomit.

44 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

The lens of the human eye turns the image upside down before it reaches the receptors. According to kids' anatomy textbooks, "the brain flips the image right side up again", but it probably doesn't and we're none the wiser. So really, this is probably how the world really looks like. Or at least, how birds see it with their more straightforward eye anatomy.

We see with our brains. The eyes perceive raw data, but it's the brain that turn them into images. In fact there's a whole category of visual impairments that are caused entirely by the brain -- that is to say, the eyes work just fine, but the afflicted person cannot see normally. This can go as far as blindness, resulting in the strange phenomenon of blindsight -- the person cannot consciously see, but still see unconsciously.

I'm the guy who beat E1-E3 upside down and I say this is unplayable.

edit: Doesn't mean I won't try...

E3M6 upside-down was fucking brutal, and I didn't think anything could top it, but congrats, you did it. I eventually (after dropping from UV to HMP then to ITYTD) beat E1M1 but wow. Maybe there's a strategy to this but fuck if I can figure it out - I thought about waiting until the screen is upright again and only then making moves, but it still seems completely off even then. Once you start rapidly spinning it's game over, and lmao the spinning gets hilarious sometimes. In one of my later attempts in this video (12:19) you can see like 4 different textures blending together because of the batshit insane speed the screen is rotating at.

Certainly works as intended, good job :P

As always, shit commentary is shit, sorry!

I couldn't watch the video because I started to get nauseated. I can't even imagine playing this, I would probably throw up.

It would be playable if the player aim was not moving along with the darn camera. It can be played using the auto-map however, but still hard to move in a straight line.

Edited by Rosh Fragger

@Eris Falling you got a lot farther than I did.

When you turn, your view is wrenched in the opposite direction, which is why it's impossible to face the direction you want to go.

Agreed on the proper advertising, because this is completely fucking unplayable.

Was it just a straight control reversal though? I was sure that sometimes the controls worked normally, and sometimes they didn't. Presumably trying to turn right whilst sideways means you end up facing the floor or the ceiling, but that's why I was trying to time my movements, to no avail.

On reflection, HMP is definitely possible for E1M1 at least, but I dunno about UV - the sergeants are absolutely ruthless.

Also I imagined watching this from a normal 3rd person perspective, the idea of watching doomguy inexplicably and chaotically bouncing about all over the place is hilarious :P

What I observed was when I moved the mouse to the left, it did so, but then my view turned right and vice versa, same thing with the vertical.

God, this is so brutal that completing a map on skill 1 qualifies as a legitimate accomplishment.

Every time I got to the computer room, if I didn't get shot right away, I'd end up slamming into the central structure before the shotgunners mulched me.

It was hysterically frustrating.

1 minute ago, TFK said:

*sees screenshot*

*downloads mod*

*Immediately puts monitor upside down*

"pic"

smart feeling goes away when you play it ;)

The worse part is this is actually worse than Epic 2 MAP29, where you'd constantly be ambushed by tons of revs, viles, and other things, but at least there you had a practical chance in Hell. Here that chance is highly theoretical.

It's worse if it causes motion sickness.

Hmm, a thought would be running this with Nash's Tilt++ mod at maximum settings. Now that would be an adventure.

You could always try "The Unholy Puke Mix" by Mr.Icarus.

EDIT: What if we replace the spinning mod used in this video with the one Eris used? That one seemed to alter the direction of gravity as well.

Edited by Zulk RS

Image spoilered for size.

Spoiler

DFDIkY9W0AAfgPu.png

I think this may be the first time a video has ever nauseated me.

Now, @Zulk RS is right, we should combine DooD and wobbly shaders with this so we can hurl all over our computers!

Minor edit: it turns out that dood is Dutch for death. Appropriate. According to Google Translate.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

Nah, it isn't completely unplayable. It's just cheesed up so much on the fake difficulty it looks like so. I know its a meme mod and that it's purposely made like so, but here are few tips I gathered by playing and experimenting on this (for those brave heroes who want to make playthroughs on this, obviously, knowing this community, someone is already making a UV 100% max run with this concept or whatever):

1. Giving a small tilt to either left or right will turn you left or right, but only after a small delay during which the screen moves in the opposite direction but returns to your preferred position. Same works for up and down.

2. Crouching and or jumping can stabilize you if for a bit, requires a bit of timing and practice. The mod will move you up and down, but will move you up (jump you up a bit) once it reaches the "upside-down" version you can see up there.

3. Taking time to retreat and re-arrange your field of view is nothing to be ashamed of, with a situation like this at hand, unless you can psychically connect with GZDoom to preform what you need, you might want to take a few steps back and re-arrange your screen.

Just screwed around with it, played MAP01 of Doom 2 and finished it (didn't record it though, and I didn't make a 100% run or anything). If anything, it felt like riding a tank with damaged optics. I didn't felt nauseated though, if anything, I did feel like I was playing a action shooting game and that the game bugged out and I was infinitely dodging to the right :D Fun, casual, might screw around with it more later. I'm sure it's playable.