Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eurovision 2018 Discussion (... Israel won)

I must admit some of the qualifiers this evening shocked me; Albania and Ireland especially (I was hoping they'd be good but didn't expect a qualification). 

I do not understand why Greece didn't go through. It was a great performance and an ethno song. Belgium had a perfect song but a very bad performance. 

Switzerland and Croatia were pretty okay too but that's my bias talking.

What are your opinions? 

Edited by NaZa

Prepare for an entire thread of shitting on Eurovision. It wouldn't be unjust though :P

I only watch the finals each year, not these qualifiers. I have a love-hate relationship with eurovision, it's really pretty shite from many aspects but I still enjoy watching it for some bizarre reason. I don't even know what we're (UK) sending this year, but it doesn't matter because we'll end up placing...calling it...21st! Make sure we come back to this thread afterwards :P

2014 was the best year. half of the songs were actually not bad. half!

27 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Greece didn't go through.

Shit, who the fuck will cyprus give full points to now!? D:

13 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

Shit, who the fuck will cyprus give full points to now!? D:

That too - I'm surprised Greece didn't make it through even though Cyprus probably gave them free 24 points.

I get what you say and I do agree with you, sometimes the songs are bad but there are a few great ones in there too (Greece, France, Italy). It's also pretty surprising, as a decent song might have a bad performance and vice versa. 

I guess the song of my country wasn't too bad this time, so I was pretty surprised when it didn't go through, but I care so little for Eurovision, that it doesn't really matter.  (was that close to saying "the song of my people", but that meme should die)

By the way, if you want an entry from my country that was plain awful, please check this one from 2002. Trust me, you won't regret it.  :D

Spoiler

Also, I remember fondly of a time when Chiki Chiki was a thing. That shit was really funny and it was 23rd place or something.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVj0ZTS4WF4

This video pretty much sums up Eurovision

From the two or three songs I know from Vitas, I can say that he is better than most artists in Eurovision, if only for the high notes he can reach (this song though is probably the funniest and goofiest one he has made and I don't know what he was thinking). Listen to the Skyfall cover he sang instead. He had way higher notes, even compared to Adele and his voice wasn't trembling in the slightest (unlike the singer from the first video I posted).

2 hours ago, ShoDemo said:

By the way, if you want an entry from my country that was plain awful, please check this one from 2002. Trust me, you won't regret it.  :D

Ah, Barbara Dex winner SAGAPO S A G A P O. That was a pretty puzzling song.

Your song this year was actually up there with France and Belgium (in this case song only) as my favourite. I still don't understand how did it not get through.

Baila Chiki Chiki was a very weird song too. I don't like it much but it's insanely catchy and makes you wanna dance.

38 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Ah, Barbara Dex winner SAGAPO S A G A P O.

First time I ever heard of this award and without seeing the other contestants' clothes I can say that the award was given to its rightful holder. Fair and square.

38 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Your song this year was actually up there with France and Belgium

Haven't seen other countries' songs yet, though I might give them a listen at a later time.

Usually, when they played Eurovision, I would watch it with my sister and parents and only then would I see the rest of the songs. But as the years passed I stopped watching almost entirely.

41 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Baila Chiki Chiki was a very weird song too. I don't like it much but it's insanely catchy and makes you wanna dance.

Exactly that!

I still remember it being played at the radio and being mentioned by kids left, right and center (was at primary school back then and I had a bit of fun with that song - might have been those synth or whatever notes from the intro, or might have not - but like you said, the thing was super catchy).

Alrighty, so I was a bit saddened that Montenegro didn't get through, puzzled that Serbia and Slovenia got through, and pleasantly surprised to see The Netherlands and Denmark qualify. 

I hate to say that Eurovision is one of my guiltiest of pleasures. I grew to love it during Ireland's massive winning streak during the 90's (personal bias, yes) which ended up with the RTE network being like, "fuck it, we can't afford to keep hosting this every year," and just sending Dustin the Turkey and Jedward from then on.

I still think Euphoria is a banging track, though, although it might have been down to that awesome Eddy Gordo dude in the background clouding my judgement...

17 hours ago, scalliano said:

Dustin the Turkey and Jedward

Irelande Douze Points was possibly one of the most infamous troll entires. It wasn't really good but a nice laugh nonetheless. Jedward's Lipstick was pretty good in 2011, but Waterline the following year was just Lipstick minus everything good. They've been getting it good these two years, though; the songs were not too bad. They deserved the final in 2015 though with Playing with Numbers , a really nice song!

Anyway, the final is in 1 h 30 min. Some personal favourites dropped out (Greece, Belgium's studio version, Montenegro...) but it's still good most songs. Can't wait for the end result!

Fuck me, they have an opening ceremony now?? Surely they could have just crammed a few more tracks in?

What happener to England? Good performance until the guy got in... I'm gutted! 

Massive props to our singer for holding that together, if anything she actually sang better after it happened. Guess Europe really hates brexitland :P

Yeah, there's always one tosser. Happened last year too during the interval. She did well to keep going.

Right, I made notes

Spoiler

Ukraine - pretty good opener

Spain - This was pleasant, I liked it

Slovenia - no thanks

Lithuania - kinda boring

Austria - This was good

Estonia - Mostly good, chorus was overall a bit too high pitched for my liking, but impressive all the same. Final note was pretty cool

Norway - Cheesy as all hell but I like it

Portugal - meh

UK - This was the first time I heard the song, and honestly I don't like it all that much but as I said before, big props to her for handling that invasion so well. Strongest performance of the evening in that regard.

Serbia - This didn't leave a lasting impression

Germany - Not bad but a bit too generic even for me 😛

Albania - This guy is so power metal lmao. I liked this quite a lot.

France - This didn't leave a lasting impression

CZ - Unexpected, but not really a fan

Denmark - You can't give me long-haired scandinavians singing about vikings and not blow the fucking roof off the place. YOU CAN'T! This was good but initial impressions left me hoping for much more.

Australia - Next year please send Alfonzo.

Finland - Not bad, but Finland makes some of the best music in the world imo, yet it rarely shows.

Bulgaria - meh

Moldova - Hilarious. Awesome. This is why I like Eurovision

Sweden - is dance you off an innuendo? dullish song

Hungary - Refreshing, but I'm not a fan of this subgenre of metal. In their defence the mixing was crap.

Israel - Potentially good, but it was also kinda annoying.

NL - I liked this!

Ireland - Not bad, but again a bit boring

Cyprus - Not bad, but bookie's favourite? Seriously? I'll never understand this.

Italy - Not bad!

Overall this was actually a decent year. Quite a good number of decent songs, and only a couple of real flops. On par with 2014, if not better. Hoping for Albania or Moldova to win but of course it won't happen. I'm refining my UK prediction to 18th.

I'd love if France won but there were good songs too; Portugal, Netherlands and Austria were favourites of mine too. Italy was strong too! 

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

I'm refining my UK prediction to 18th.

Oops i went 3 the wrong way lmfao

Dammit, poor results for Sweden and Austria in the televote. Pleasantly surprised with Albania, Italy, Denmark and obviously Austria!