Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-Votterbin-

DOOM II teased for E3

According to multiple news sites the E3 announcement of Rage 2 has been leaked by Wal-Mart. Since id Software stopped developing two Single Player games simultaneously this would mean we won't see a Doom 2 for another 3 years or so :-(.

Rage is one big yawn.  I would rather have Doom 10 times more.  I hope it is wrong.

If id wants to make a new rage, it should just developed by someone else like Wolfenstein. 

Just make more god damn doom games please.

I'll welcome a new Rage; the first one had a lot of potential but wasn't finished, even with the long development cycle.

The question is do they go more open world and vehicle focused or make it more linear which were the best parts of the first one?

41 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Just make more god damn doom games please.

I'd rather have them take their time to make it awesome than have a new game every 1-3yrs, the last thing I need is Doom following the "example" of CoD.

While it would be nice to see a follow-up to RAGE, it would be better to see what happened to our Doomslayer, seeing how Doom 2016 ended on a cliffhanger. 

15 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

I'd rather have them take their time to make it awesome than have a new game every 1-3yrs, the last thing I need is Doom following the "example" of CoD.

They already did take their time with Doom 4 and we got a really nice canvas.  And three years is PLENTY of time - in fact probably too much if it is just DLC.

And the whole - it will turn in to COD - is just paranoia.  But what is wrong with having 10 times the content If the campaign is any indication on what we should expect?

1 minute ago, Zemini said:

They already did take their time with Doom 4 and we got a really nice canvas.  And three years is PLENTY of time - in fact probably too much if it is just DLC.

And the whole - it will turn in to COD - is just paranoia.  But what is wrong with having 10 times the content If the campaign is any indication on what we should expect?

Still, we don't know what exactly will be in the sequel yet.

Rest assured, if the quality will be there I have absolutely no problem with id putting Doom titles out much more often, I was just thinking about how would this "if" scenario influence the games.

I might be the odd man out on this one, but I think this is a good idea. I don't want to see id become a Doom machine and here's something to keep in mind, this is not the same id that worked on the first Rage (if id is even working on Rage 2 at all). This is a new id with new people and a different design philosophy and given these changes, I think Rage deserves a second shot. Also With them working on Rage, it will give them more time to work on Doom 5.

Edited by Eligos

1 hour ago, Eligos said:

I might be the odd man out on this one, but I think this is a good idea. I don't want to see id become a Doom machine. And here's something to keep in mind, this is not the same id that worked on the first Rage (if id is even working on Rage 2 at all). This is a new id with new people and a different design philosophy and given these changes, I think Rage deserves a second shot. Also With them working on Rage, it will give them more time to work on Doom 5.

I see nothing wrong with being a doom machine assuming that we get good stuff.  What if id stopped at classic doom 1 for the same reason?

2 hours ago, Agent6 said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Considering the lukewarm reception of Wolfenstein 2 (which seemed to have been rushed in places), I wouldn't mind if they did work on Rage first.

In my experience, you get burnt out creatively if you work on the same stuff all the time, which leads to an increasingly inferior outcome and I've seen lots of evidence of this in both the gaming and the movie industry, so I'd rather Id did not become a "Doom machine";

better they try some different things creatively while taking a needed break from Doom, subconsciously get new ideas on how to improve on Doom so that when they go back to Doom after completing Rage, they'll be able to do it much better than if they just went straight from Doom 4 to Doom 5.

Besides, Rage has potential. The first game may not have been fantastic, but it doesn't rule out the possibility of a better sequel.

1 hour ago, dsm said:

In my experience, you get burnt out creatively if you work on the same stuff all the time, which leads to an increasingly inferior outcome and I've seen lots of evidence of this in both the gaming and the movie industry, so I'd rather Id did not become a "Doom machine";

I totally agree on this one and I'd actually like to see a new Rage game. The art direction of the first one was great, animation and character design too. I event enjoyed the racing. My only problem was the ending. It just didn't feel like the rest of the game.

2 hours ago, dsm said:

Pretty much this. Doing the same game over and over again not only can burn you out creatively, but it can also start to produce some odd habits out of the developers. It helps to do different games to make sure you're always looking at design problems at different angles.

Besides, there would also be Id developers who didn't like finishing RAGE the way it did and would have been itching to do a RAGE 2 with a more finished engine to start with. Any complaints about the previous game being too rushed and empty is exactly the reason why they should be doing a RAGE 2 now.

As someone who remembers RAGE more for its strengths than its shortcomings, I would love to see a properly done sequel made by a competent team.

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Pretty much this. Doing the same game over and over again not only can burn you out creatively, but it can also start to produce some odd habits out of the developers. It helps to do different games to make sure you're always looking at design problems at different angles.

Agreed. They should take a break from DOOM before considering a sequel. Do it too soon, and it gets dull real fast.

20 hours ago, igg said:

According to multiple news sites the E3 announcement of Rage 2 has been leaked by Wal-Mart. Since id Software stopped developing two Single Player games simultaneously this would mean we won't see a Doom 2 for another 3 years or so :-(.

I was honestly interested in this leak, but in the same listing there is Forza Horizons 5, which is wrong for two reasons.

1. It's Forza Horizon, not Horizons

2. We don't even have Horizon 4 yet

This is literally the only reason I doubt that this leak is real at all, let alone a RAGE 2 in the same listing.

Well, the official Rage Twitter said something:

As well as Pete Hines from Bethesda:

He doesn't seem too happy about it. But they could just be playing it up so they can throw people off the scent of a possible Doom 2/5.

Who knows, maybe they have expanded their team and are giving RAGE 2 to their B team.

I would be happy if they just made Doom forever. Who needs a sequel to a mediocre-to-good game from years ago?

...Or a new Quake.

5 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I would be happy if they just made Doom forever. Who needs a sequel to a mediocre-to-good game from years ago?

That's exactly what Doom 2016 was though

10 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I would be happy if they just made Doom forever. 

They would've eventually run out of great ideas if they kept on making only Doom. I'm fine with something else before the next game rolls in.

Nup I want the new Doom and I want it out. I want to give id another $200 for their collectors edition.

Give me better Snapmap, more campaign and lean the game more towards classic doom, so less arenas.

I could play Doom 2016 again.

2 minutes ago, Chezza said:

more campaign and lean the game more towards classic doom, so less arenas.

Perfection 👌.

I'd like a collectors edition too, if I won't be bankrupt when it'll be out.

12 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

That's exactly what Doom 2016 was though

A sequel to a mediocre game from years ago?

I don't know, I kind of liked Doom 3...

We've got 2018, we should play next Doom already. Id have a strange strategy. They abadonned doom completely and try to earn money on QC. They should made game where community could make its own mods, there should be coop game, good multiplayer dm style (where you can choose like in normal world map, server, mode). I like a much KF2/KF1 - community make maps, mods, skins, devs make new stuff, events, and they can earn money if you like buy some cosmetics which don't ruin the gameplay. KF devs have very nice strategy. Imagine if doom belongs to EA or activision - every year new Doom. I don't understand what zeni do. They got many dead now games: rage, dishonored, new prey. You can play 1-3 times and the game is dead.

Hey! NDTV is an Indian news site! I guess current statistics show that the Indian Mass Media is the most corrupt media in the world( No kidding!!)

But this reveal in E3 COULD be TRUE. As far as I know, Indians don't know much about gamers. So, I guess this could be an official announcement by Bethesda themselves, and this site just put it in so as to attract more viewers.

Just like I said before, CORRUPTION!!

10 hours ago, Agent6 said:

They would've eventually run out of great ideas if they kept on making only Doom. I'm fine with something else before the next game rolls in.

HELL. Then another HELL. then another HELL. Then another HELL etc.

18 hours ago, Chezza said:

Nup I want the new Doom and I want it out. I want to give id another $200 for their collectors edition.

Give me better Snapmap, more campaign and lean the game more towards classic doom, so less arenas.

I could play Doom 2016 again.

Well said! In fact I'm just starting a new game of Doom 2016 to get pumped for E3. Rip and tear until it is DONE.

The more I think about the recent Twitter posts by Bethesda, the more I've hope Doom 2018/2019 is still possible.

While the first two posts

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/994638205109522433

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/994687018733977600

refer to a post apocalyptic setting and the date 15-4 (announcement?) the latest one with the purple X seems to refer to XBOX as platform:

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/994758994525732864

Although almost any AAA game today gets released on multiple platforms I wonder why Bethesda refers to the XBOX only. Maybe they plan to transform Rage to a platform specific franchise like Gears of War. I'm pretty sure Microsoft would really approve such a step.

Unless RAGE 2 is made by a different company for some reason, I think the next DOOM won't be coming anytime soon after all. Kind of sad but at the same time I'm ALL for a new RAGE game. If they can keep the good stuff from the first one and flesh out some of the weaker elements, it's gonna be great.

Then again, why would they announce it a month before E3? Isn't the Bethesda showcase meant to be a place to make announcements?

Also, it's interesting to see that people seem to be generally excited about it. I thought nobody cared about RAGE but there seem to be a lot of people that would be happy to get a sequel. Which is cool. RAGE is an underrated game. A lot of people didn't like it maybe because they had bigger expectations for it... And I do recognize its flaws, there are tons of things that could have been done better or in a different way. But it was still a wonderful game, I had a lot of fun with it. So yeah, bring it on.