Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starkiller

I'm new to Doomworld. Any helpful advice?

So I decided to join up Doomworld simply because I want a connection with other old-school folk. I am wondering if there is anything interesting and helpful around these forums. Maybe share a little bit about yourselves, your love for Doom, or anything on your mind.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I'd love to hear the Doom wisdom. 

Sure, you can check the cacowards and doomwiki. Also we playing and reviewing wads each month, check out DW Megawad Club.

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

I'd love to hear the Doom wisdom.  

PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies 😆

Well, it depends what you're here to do. I'm here primarily to play other people's maps and show other people mine. In that regard, I can tell you that there's lots of stuff out there. Plenty of maps in various levels of development, various styles, difficulties, etc. If you're into mapping, there's also plenty of advice to find, including a whole section for editing topics.

Here's a "little bit about myself": I've come to realize that I really like TNT Evilution, which was never the case in my childhood. I find that I particularly enjoy Maps 11-20 or so, which is by far the longest stretch of maps I really enjoy in any iwad. But "TNT = good" is not a very popular opinion around here. In fact, the popular opinion seems to be that it is objectively bad, so that's interesting. I'm not really sure what its appeal to me is.

Also, I play Doom with a very weird keyboard setup and no mouse.

To me, it seems that the main hub of discussion is the WADs forum. This is, after all, a forum dedicated to classic Doom. If you want, you can also start making your own wads with Doombuilder. It's really kind of easy to understand the program but hard to master.

If you have never played any high profile WADs then I suggest you start with stuff like Scythe 2, Simplicity, Valiant, Sunlust, Curse of D'Sparil (for Heretic) or Bloodstain. 

This is by no means a comprehensive list and there are many many excellent WADs out there.

As long as you behave on our forums you can expect people to be friendly and helpful.

Hello and welcome to the DoomWorld forums. There is a plethora of stuff to discuss ranging from classic Doom to new Doom and everything in between! But most important is to enjoy your stay and have fun. Also be sure to smash that like button.

Don't bump threads that are ten years old.

And play the D!zone. And ONLY the D!zone! Play nothing else but the D!zone!

It's good to hear such friendly advice. I'm a lover of Classic Doom, and felt like I would brighten up the community a bit. Old-School games (First-Person Shooters especially) have always been with my life ever since I was born. I'm personally happy to be able to with some good folk who know their stuff. 

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

Sure, you can check the cacowards and doomwiki. Also we playing and reviewing wads each month, check out DW Megawad Club.

PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies 😆

Good advice. Or show huge guts by using only your fists. 

39 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Well, it depends what you're here to do. I'm here primarily to play other people's maps and show other people mine. In that regard, I can tell you that there's lots of stuff out there. Plenty of maps in various levels of development, various styles, difficulties, etc. If you're into mapping, there's also plenty of advice to find, including a whole section for editing topics.

Here's a "little bit about myself": I've come to realize that I really like TNT Evilution, which was never the case in my childhood. I find that I particularly enjoy Maps 11-20 or so, which is by far the longest stretch of maps I really enjoy in any iwad. But "TNT = good" is not a very popular opinion around here. In fact, the popular opinion seems to be that it is objectively bad, so that's interesting. I'm not really sure what its appeal to me is.

Also, I play Doom with a very weird keyboard setup and no mouse.

This. I personally enjoy TNT Evilution in spite of some of it's godawful maps. The techbase vibe and the music especially really earns it my favorite Classic Doom asides from Ultimate Doom, obviously. 

Always good to see a new member.

Like @riderr3 said, there are wad-playing groups like the Doomworld Megawad Club and the Doomworld Ironman League.

If you ever need help with something, ask and you shall receive.

I'm also a newbie (although a one whom forgets Doomworld quite often), what kind of shooters do you play, Starkiller? Do you have a favorite shooter?

18 minutes ago, Era Di Cate said:

I'm also a newbie (although a one whom forgets Doomworld quite often), what kind of shooters do you play, Starkiller? Do you have a favorite shooter?

I play any kind of shooters, my favorite being the Old-School type. I love Doom obviously, Unreal Gold, Unreal Tournament '99/2004, Blood '97 (through EDuke32), Deus Ex, Return To Castle Wolfenstein (the game that started my love for Classic FPS), Half-Life, Portal, pretty much almost any FPS that is fun in my eyes. Unreal is probably my favorite FPS game of all time, besides Doom and Blood.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I also have a soft spot for the RTS genre, my personal favorites being Empire Earth, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge, Dune 2000, and Emperor: Battle For Dune. I also enjoyed a few mods, like Brutal Doom and Mental Omega, and I admit I have a couple of guilty pleasures, such as Daikatana.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Any interesting games you play? I would love to hear it.  

1 minute ago, Bloodshedder said:

Here's some advice: push "enter" once instead of pushing the space bar 280 times.

Goddamnit. That would have been good to know earlier. 

23 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Any interesting games you play? I would love to hear it.  

Well, my forte is Half-Life, any of it in the franchise, official, non-official, mods, literally, Goldsource/Source, I know that stuff in and out.

So adding onto it, literally every other shooter you had mentioned in your comment. Although, Deus Ex didn't really look much like a shooter to me, but eh.

My "soft spot" would be wRPGs: "The Elder Scrolls" mainly (all the games except the weird spinoffs and the mobile games), but also Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, isometrics like that, and my guilty pleasures mainly lie in crack mods, such as the good ole Crack-Life for hl1.

You might be asking what am I doing here then? Well, I myself still have no answer to this question.

19 minutes ago, Era Di Cate said:

Well, my forte is Half-Life, any of it in the franchise, official, non-official, mods, literally, Goldsource/Source, I know that stuff in and out.

So adding onto it, literally every other shooter you had mentioned in your comment. Although, Deus Ex didn't really look much like a shooter to me, but eh.

My "soft spot" would be wRPGs: "The Elder Scrolls" mainly (all the games except the weird spinoffs and the mobile games), but also Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, isometrics like that, and my guilty pleasures mainly lie in crack mods, such as the good ole Crack-Life for hl1.

You might be asking what am I doing here then? Well, I myself still have no answer to this question.

Interesting taste of games you have in there. I played a lot of Half-Life back in 2015-2016, and enjoyed the games a lot. Nowadays, I barely have any time to play 'em, both because of schoolwork and other games catching my interest. Maybe one day I'll put in my Orange Box disk on the 360 and play Half-Life 2 and Portal again.       

I also really enjoy music, especially video game music. Unreal is tied up with first place as some of my favorite soundtrack ever alongside Unreal Tournament '99's, Dune 2000/Emperor: Battle For Dune's, Return To Castle Wolfenstein's, and Mental Omega's soundtracks. 

Emperor's soundtrack is so criminally underrated, it's just mind blowing. Each of the three factions have some of the best styles and easily fits their respective sides. 

Listen and you will soon understand how amazing they deserve to be remembered. 

It's a cool site because it's been around and going fairly strong since I was in high school or thereabouts. Also great for filtering through WADs, introducing me to some modern level design concepts, and helping me figure out how to use ZDoom features more effectively. I'd definitely recommend the Cacowards for examples of how far Doom has come (and if you want a more old-school feel, one of the recent Cacowards includes No End In SIght, which is a great old-school Ultimate Doom level pack.)

1. If you are showing off your cool level, idea, project or whatever don't forget to show us screenshots.
  2. If you are testing someone else's work and you find issues, such as misaligned textures or things that break the level or mod, feel free to let them know of your feedback.
  3. It takes about 250 posts to get your member status. In the olden days that is when you used to be able to add your custom avatar picture.
  4. You can add a custom title, and change your user name in the future but I don't know how much posts you need to have in order to reach those goals.
  5. Feel free to ask about anything Boom, Zdoom and other classic source ports here too. In the Zdoom forums they seem more interested in talking about GZdoom and are less inclined to talk about anything older and discontinued like Zdoom.

4 minutes ago, Halfblind said:
  1. If you are showing off your cool level, idea, project or whatever don't forget to show us screenshots.
  2. If you are testing someone else's work and you find issues, such as misaligned textures or things that break the level or mod, feel free to let them know of your feedback.
  3. It takes about 250 posts to get your member status. In the olden days that is when you used to be able to add your custom avatar picture.
  4. You can add a custom title, and change your user name in the future but I don't know how much posts you need to have in order to reach those goals.
  5. Feel free to ask about anything Boom, Zdoom and other classic source ports here too. In the Zdoom forums they seem more interested in talking about GZdoom and are less inclined to talk about anything older and discontinued like Zdoom.

Really good advice. Thanks for sharing me that. I use ZDoom as my source port to play Doom, replacing my crappy Doom 95 port. I'm going to love this site a lot. 

4 hours ago, Halfblind said:

You can add a custom title, and change your user name in the future but I don't know how much posts you need to have in order to reach those goals

Custom titles are decided by mods and admins, they give it based on your actions and if they are in a mood to give someone a title. You can't change the custom title yourself.

Name changes are available after 180 days since your account creation.

Also hi! Enjoy your stay. Be sure to have fun.

H...how did you not know that pressing enter starts a new line? I'm so confused...

Anyway, welcome to DW! I've been around a while, and I consider this place like a home, regardless of how much it's changed in about 15 years (especially since the software changeover). I still play Doom semi-regularly, mostly in the fall/winter these days for some reason. Hopefully you'll enjoy your time on here!

Some advice:

1. Don't make shitty status updates undermining large parts of the community and then try and backpedal out of it. Nobody needs that

2. Don't do "am I the only one who..." threads, or make threads with intentionally cutoff clickbait titles in general

3. The Ironman league is fun, try it out sometime!

4. If you witness something totally never before seen in Doom, chances are people know about it. The game has been around a while, after all, and threads wildly exclaiming you discovered something that's common knowledge are...lol

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. You've got a community full of experienced mappers, composers, etc. at your disposal!

6. Always check the date before replying to a thread. Necrobumps are no bueno (without reason, anyway)

7. Doom

26 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Custom titles are decided by mods and admins, they give it based on your actions and if they are in a mood to give someone a title. You can't change the custom title yourself.

Name changes are available after 180 days since your account creation.

Also hi! Enjoy your stay. Be sure to have fun.

Pleasure to meet you. I'm sure there is a lot of interesting Doom stuff to follow on here. 

2 minutes ago, Bashe said:

H...how did you not know that pressing enter starts a new line? I'm so confused...

Anyway, welcome to DW! I've been around a while, and I consider this place like a home, regardless of how much it's changed in about 15 years (especially since the software changeover). I still play Doom semi-regularly, mostly in the fall/winter these days for some reason. Hopefully you'll enjoy your time on here!

Some advice:

1. Don't make shitty status updates undermining large parts of the community and then try and backpedal out of it. Nobody needs that

2. Don't do "am I the only one who..." threads, or make threads with intentionally cutoff clickbait titles in general

3. The Ironman league is fun, try it out sometime!

4. If you witness something totally never before seen in Doom, chances are people know about it. The game has been around a while, after all, and threads wildly exclaiming you discovered something that's common knowledge are...lol

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. You've got a community full of experienced mappers, composers, etc. at your disposal!

6. Always check the date before replying to a thread. Necrobumps are no bueno (without reason, anyway)

7. Doom

I've been so busy with other things on my mind that I forgot some of the basic computer controls. My mistake. 

I appreciate the advice. I'm pretty much new in being at online forums, so I'll definitely find this helpful. I really like all of the kind feedback and tips everyone has for me.