Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goosepants

What difficulty do you play Classic Doom on?

I always choose Ultra Violence for Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, but I’ve considered turning it down to hurt me plenty, just because I find myself getting screwed over in some of the later levels (thy flesh consumed....) 

UV for me, sir. I often find myself considering turning it to UV-fast.

Thy Flesh Consumed is brutal on UV, but only really in the first two levels. E4M3/9 on really mellow out.

Ultra Violence from pistol start with no saves and no cheats*, always. In order not to sound like a boaster, I play only the basic IWADs, rest of the official content (Master Levels and No Rest for the Living) and the [x] the Way Id Did series. Oh, and Doom and Final Doom for PlayStation using a real console attached via a true RGB scart.

* Except for MAP33 of d2twid.wad and MAP17 of Doom for PlayStation. These levels are boldly unbalanced and I need some extra ammunition to compensate it.

My Grandfather chooses Hurt Me Plenty as his difficulty choice. I choose Ultra-Violence because it offers a bit of a challenge and more demon hordes to slay. 

I always do UV. Playing on NM takes the fun out of it for me since I'm in no way a speedrunner, and I hate the pressure it brings with the respawning.

Ultra-Violence nowadays. I rarely play them on the easier/medium ones just for fun and remembering the good old days. 

No saves in game and no cheats, saving just in the start of the level.

For the original games and most custom wads I go with Ultra-Violence. Occasionally if a custom wad is too ridiculous I'll go down to Hurt Me Plenty. A few years ago I decided to swallow my pride and accept that I just don't have the patience to get through some user made levels on Ultra-Violence.

It depends on the maps. The original IWADs and most stuff from the mid-90's is definitely UV-material, but for modern megawads I normally use HMP, except for Skillsaw's stuff where I normally play on HNTR.

Of course there's exceptions where these rules do not apply. Most E1 clones play best on UV, for example.

For all the original iwads and most user-made wads, UV, no mid-level saves, continuous. If it’s too absurd, I’ll drop it down (managed to get to the end of Scythe on UV, but anything above that would probably be HMP material).

I’ll play pistol start occasionally for individual levels.

strictly ITYTD

then if I like a map I revisit it on UV-respawn and cackle about how badly I'm doing

Just now, TFK said:

Holy hell! With people here posting that they play on UV most of the time just makes me feel ashamed of myself..

You dont need to be. What are difficulty settings for 😉

1 hour ago, yakfak said:

strictly ITYTD

then if I like a map I revisit it on UV-respawn and cackle about how badly I'm doing

Same here for the most part.

I mostly play on UV with the occasional nightmare run. The original maps are a lot of fun when played on nightmare. The challenge is just right.

UV for all stock episodes, sometimes Nightmare! for the first three episodes of (U)Doom. I rarely play slaughter maps, so I never need to adjust skill level 🙂

48 minutes ago, TFK said:

Holy hell! With people here posting that they play on UV most of the time just makes me feel ashamed of myself..

No reason for that, like Catpho said. Play on the difficulty you're comfortable with.

I don't wanna die of course!
(Hurt me plenty for wads and Ultra violence for vanilla)

Back then when I start playing Doom, I played on Hurt me plenty. But now since I got used to first person shooters, I'm staying on Ultra Violence.