Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

New to Speed Demos. Can anyone tell me about it??

Exactly what can I record? And how? Is a classic Doom 1 playthrough okay as a demo, or should it be a custom WAD? I have never looked into the Speed Demos forum. This is my first time. That's why I'm asking.

I think you can record any demo; just specify what the category is (UV-Max, NM Speed, etc.) and, if you're using TAS, say so and submit the demo into the TAS thread.

also, feel free to upload even if the entry is not a new record. any demo may be interesting to watch for a variety of reasons :)

if you intend to challenge the current records by the way, be sure to read about the correct complevel settings 

every week all the entries - are automatically uploaded to the archive. Include files with correct name and under zip compression

goodluck and have fun

did you read the stickies yet? you seem horribly uninformed. not trying to be mean but read all the sticky threads in this forum and youll have a good base knowledge.

this one:

You can, but for maps formats like limit-removing and boom would be better to be done with a good compatibility, such as PrBoom+. Besides the convenience of watching demos, many things in GZDoom behave differently.

Is that sticky thread good for beginners? It seems rather heavy on the technical side and it suddenly jumps between general information, ten year old announcements, and "advanced" topics such as TAS. I think I would be overwhelmed as a newcomer. Perhaps a well written introduction could increase the chance of the demo community not dying.

6 hours ago, TFK said:

Can GZDoom be used for recording?

it can, but very few people will actually watch a gzdoom demo, as you need to have the same version of gzdoom for the demo to play back correctly. best to use vanilla doom (via dosbox or chocolate or crispy) or just use prboom+ which is the most flexible and ubiquitous.