Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goosepants

What difficulty do you play Classic Doom on?

I found the results if this poll interesting. Among the more seasoned players there's often a feeling that everyone plays on UV so why bother implementing lower difficulties?

I was pleased to see just how many people don't play on UV. Implementing difficulty settings is important people! Don't skimp on it!

UV for everything, unless I'm for some reason playing on my old Windows XP laptop on Doom95 that doesn't have mouse support, in which case I'd definitely play on HMP.

Pretty much UV, UV-fast, or NM (for the IWADs). I use saves to withstand severe setbacks.

Cool that all you guys play on UV. As I said in the beginning I play on UV for Doom 1 and 2, and maybe I’ll have to try it on final doom. I remember not doing so well with final doom on UV.

I grew up playing it on Ultra. Now I play it on the easiest difficulty because I'm here to have a good time. Now I Tyson my way through things.

UV usually (except on that mod that TerminusEst13 did which I had to HMP the episode for practice).

Yeah....for specific mods or maps, toning down the difficulty is a wise choice.

I play Ultra Violence with fast monsters in Ultimate Doom, and Hurt Me Plenty in Doom 2 because the balance is all out of whack most maps on UV.  UV in Final Doom.

For IWAD Doom? UV-Continuous every time. I tried pistol starting... fool me once, can't get fooled again!

Cool. What Doom do you find the hardest out of 

Ultimate Doom

Doom 2

Doom 2: No rest for the living

master levels for Doom

Final Doom TNT

Final Doom Plutonia

I am not the best at doom, however, I play On hurt me plenty half of the time, then the other half I play Ultra violence.  

11 minutes ago, Goosepants said:

What Doom do you find the hardest out of

Generally speaking: The Ultimate Doom  (Thy Flesh Consumed is extra-hard, though) < Doom II: Hell on Earth < Master Levels for Doom II (it contains certain really hard levels, though) < Final Doom: TNT: Evilution < Doom II: No Rest for the Living < Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment.

11 minutes ago, Goosepants said:

Ultimate Doom

Doom 2

master levels for Doom

Final Doom TNT

Final Doom Plutonia

UD was only particularly difficult in E4, and even then only at the beginning.

Doom 2 was strange, but rather easy.

I wasn't aware of Doom 2: No Rest for the Living.

Only played Master Levels on the Doom 3 XBox version.

TNT is the hardest to play because I dislike it that much.

Plutonia is difficult, but really fun.

Playing on UV is more of a force of habit. As a kid, I would play through Doom II on each difficulty, and then max out on UV. Any time I was bored and wanted to play doom again without cheats, I would start over on UV. Now, I automatically choose UV any time I play a WAD, but if it's killing me over and over again, I will dial it back to HMP once in a while, especially with HR, PL2, and the like which feed me humble pie constantly.

On the other hand, when I'm mapping, I rarely pay any mind to the difficulty levels...

UV for me. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever played on anything lower than that. Doom and Doom II just seem so well balanced on UV, almost as if they were meant to be played on that skill setting.

I don't bother with pistol starting in the original IWADS (although I have gone through every map doing that once to get an idea of the difficulty difference--for the most part I didn't have trouble), I generally just play the games straight through from the beginning.

I've recently started dabbling with Nightmare in the PC games and it's almost like an entirely different game. You have to really have the levels routed out and have a game plan in order to get through them. Still need to keep working on that.

Edited by amackert

7 hours ago, Goosepants said:

Ultimate Doom

Doom 2

master levels for Doom

Final Doom TNT

Final Doom Plutonia

Overall Plutonia without a doubt.

UD did get intense in E4 but only for the first 2 levels or so.

For virtually every mod I play on UV, and see if I can manage. Of course, the fact that I use save-games makes it easier.

I play on HMP, because I prefer challenge, but not being much punished by serious mistakes. 

On 5/13/2018 at 5:24 AM, TFK said:

Holy hell! With people here posting that they play on UV most of the time just makes me feel ashamed of myself..

Ya me too, but I don't think everyone is being honest about it? Maybe majority, maybe not? Can u really beat all three episodes on UV or all four in The Ultimate Doom? At least be honest about it. 

Holy hell! With people here posting that they play on UV most of the time just makes me feel ashamed of myself..

Ya me too, but I don't think everyone is being honest about it? Maybe majority, maybe not? Can u really beat all three episodes on UV or all four in The Ultimate Doom? At least be honest about it. 

1 minute ago, Doom Trooper said:

I think you'll find that most of the active members here have been playing a lot of Doom WADs, a lot harder than Ultimate Doom, for a long time. UD isn't really that hard. There's a grand total of two challenging maps, both in the last episode. :-\

Years ago I think on HNTR, plus jumping but I had 0 knowledge about the consequences. Summer '16 on HMP, nowadays UV and I haven't beaten or tried all the maps on pistol start, nor am I interested at the moment. Beating the Icon of Sin legit is still in my to-do list. 

There are maps that are much harder than map30 on pistol start on UV. That map hardly changes if you come from map29 or play on easier difficulties. Try to get two rockets in on the way up the first time and another on the way down. Rince and repeat till you beat it. It's also one of the easier ones to beat on nightmare difficulty. Only 01, 08, 16 and 18 are easier. 27 is also dead easy if you know the trick to beating it on nightmare quickly. It should be noted that faster routes on all those maps are harder to do.

16 hours ago, Doom Trooper said:

Yes you can sir, in fact, like 42% above said there's wads out there that are radically more difficult than the original games, even the non-hardcore stuff is usually noticeably more challenging.

For me, UD has virtually only 2 pretty difficult levels, both in Episode 4, but they're manageable if you resort to a few tricks (infighting on E4M1 for instance).