Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bifurcator

Doom Slayer Chronicles

@bifurcator I have to ask, how did you get the lights on the wall opposite the fan to spin like that? Is it just a really high frame rate animated texture or something more?

Also your heat haze is brilliant. That's a shader right?

1 hour ago, bifurcator said:

Fan shade is just a +rollsprite +wallsprite.

Heat haze is a shader.

Ooooh a rollsprite!  I didn't even think of that.  Very clever application of it.  

10 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

A question about the stair rails at 0:37. Are they models or some kind of 3D effect?

They are native ZDoom 3d floors.
Sloped 3d floors)))

9 hours ago, Bauul said:

Ooooh a rollsprite!  I didn't even think of that.  Very clever application of it.  

Gzdoom provides a LARGE number of expressive possibilities
Any feature can be used in not usual application to get unique result )))

Awesome work. I love these eyecandy screenies. How did you make this incredible fog here:

F55h9M57CxA.jpg.9de91f9f803a10a28f4765e582d043ad.jpg

Is it moves? I'll like to see it in motion. Love the colors.

lmao the fact that most of the crappy indie shooters are being outdone by random Doom modders is pretty damning. I suggest the next time somebody praises Dusk or some other similar indie game that people just respond by posting these videos and telling people this was made for free by somebody as a hobby.

8 hours ago, hoover1979 said:

This mod keeps getting better and better!

and better and better...

I've always wanted a Doom wad that invokes the style of Doom 3, and this looks like this is going to do it beautifully. Keep up the good work!

On 5/8/2018 at 7:25 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

lmao the fact that most of the crappy indie shooters are being outdone by random Doom modders is pretty damning. I suggest the next time somebody praises Dusk or some other similar indie game that people just respond by posting these videos and telling people this was made for free by somebody as a hobby.

I think lumping Dusk in the "crappy indie shooter" category is a bit unfair since Dusk is genuinely a good game, but that's just me.

39 minutes ago, Sparktimus said:

I think lumping Dusk in the "crappy indie shooter" category is a bit unfair since Dusk is genuinely a good game, but that's just me.

I don't think Dusk is horrible, it's just really bland. It looks like a Quake mod that could have existed during the early to mid 2000's. The point I was making is that people are charging money for stuff like this and all the while better looking stuff is being made for free for Doom and Quake. I have also yet to see an indie retro shooter that sparks my interest. Ion Maiden looks pretty cool but I'm not sure if it even counts as a indie game seeing as 3D realms made it.

This is hands-down the best mod Ive ever seen on the Doom engine! I cant fucking wait to play this

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

How many maps are there?

Ten... Yeah it's not so much but 99% content made by bifurcator

Edited by X-->0 : typo

On 5/10/2018 at 11:15 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

I don't think Dusk is horrible, it's just really bland. It looks like a Quake mod that could have existed during the early to mid 2000's. The point I was making is that people are charging money for stuff like this and all the while better looking stuff is being made for free for Doom and Quake. I have also yet to see an indie retro shooter that sparks my interest. Ion Maiden looks pretty cool but I'm not sure if it even counts as a indie game seeing as 3D realms made it.

The appeal of Dusk is that it was supposed to look like it came from the mid-to-late 90's.  Not only play like a 90's shooter, but to look like one too.  The aesthetic invokes a sense of nostalgia, to further enhance the experience... to make you feel more like you're playing something purely oldschool.  There's a bit of psychology involved too... with newer technology, and newer graphics, there came newer games with worse maps and a much larger focus on world-building and storytelling.  Not that there's anything wrong with those things... so long as it's done right.  Most (if not all) of the time, it significantly slows down gameplay.  Some gamers just want the action, no questions asked.  I assume that people also associate newer graphics with the newer playstyles introduced around those times as well.  So, there's a double-whammy here... with the old-fashioned run-n-gun mechanics with a basic and effective arsenal and the "lovably ugly" graphics that were present in fast-paced action games such as Quake.  There are plenty of other games that provide better-looking graphics and the 90's style run-n-gun playstyle, such as Toxikk.  The newer iterations of Doom and Quake also are a nice hybrid of old and new.  And, of course, you mentioned various Doom mods with awesome graphics.

The point is this... there's a market for everybody.  People have different tastes.  Some people like totally oldschool stuff with oldschool graphics.  Some like totally newschool stuff with newschool graphics.  Some like the newschool stuff with oldschool graphics, or oldschool stuff with newschool graphics.  Personally, the only reason why I stick with Doom is because it's highly versatile.  It's easy to run, easy to mod, easy to play, and dare I say it... easy to quit.  It doesn't attempt to keep me sucked in, because I can save and quit whenever I want.  It takes up much less processing than many newer games, so I can easily play it on less powerful machines.  It has a very small file-size... just a few megabytes.  Easily transportable.  Easy to plug 'n play.  Easy to back that up, and the engine, and whatever other mods I choose.  Like I said... there's something for everyone.

Getting back on topic... it was said that these recent screenshots were from the last map.  How close to completion is the mod, exactly?

6 hours ago, DoomKrakken said:

The appeal of Dusk is that it was supposed to look like it came from the mid-to-late 90's.  Not only play like a 90's shooter, but to look like one too.  The aesthetic invokes a sense of nostalgia, to further enhance the experience... to make you feel more like you're playing something purely oldschool.

But the thing is, games back then did not look like this. Dusk has a lower polycount than even Quake, and it's texture design is also of lower quality. The level design is also crude and ugly even compared to Quake.

I have said this many times before and I am saying this again: "Things used to look like that!" is just a lame excuse to have crappy graphics. I don't think most of these devs even understand how the graphics for these old games were made. They probably think the models were just instantly created in lowpoly form and then just put into the game, where as in reality they were created in high quality high polygon form first and then the polycount was reduced until the game could use the models with an acceptable framerate. This insured maximum quality while still allowing the game to run at a smooth fps. I massively doubt this is how these retro shooter indies are making their models. They probably just start at lowpoly and their models look like crap as a result.

Example:

The ogre from Quake:

Quake-Ogre.jpg

That chainsaw duke from Dusk:

Dusk_3.PNG

Before this gets derailed..

Incredible work bifurcator! 🙂

Can't wait to play it!

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Before this gets derailed..

Incredible work bifurcator! 🙂

Can't wait to play it!