Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheGamePhilosophe

Rage 2 leaked?

It looks like Walmart leaked some upcoming games, and while some of it may be inaccurate, it looks like RAGE 2 is happening, based on the sudden resurrection of the RAGE twitter account and responses from Bethesda in reaction to it: https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-reacts-to-rage-2-leak/

I'm actually excited for this. I know RAGE is not the most loved game, but I really enjoyed its setting, aesthetic, and gameplay. What do you think they will do/should do for the sequel?

One big question for me is if they will be able to recreate the amazingly detailed art of the first game. It seems like megatextures took a downgrade in idtech 6. At least in the new Doom game. Nothing seemed as ornately detailed as things did in RAGE.

I liked RAGE, I think is was severely underrated and was a very solid linear game, I hope this is true and that RAGE 2 expands on the half arsed open ended attempts in RAGE and we get something replayable and memorable (which looking at Bethesda's recent titles, this looks hopeful).

They ditched Megatextures for a reason.

They are memory guzzlers and I really don't want to have to download a 250 GB game. Plus, they don't really add much. I mean the tech made sense in 2004 when you could still see texture repetition but nowadays games are just overflowing with detail and not always to their benefit. I really think we've reached the point where "extra detail" won't make new games any better.

I really thought they ditched the IP. I mean after all those years in development hell it was not exactly a blockbuster. It had some good elements like the guns and combat as well as some pretty landscapes but aside from that it was...ok-tier. I remember being extremely excited for the game when it came out because Id hadn't made anything in years. But after I finished it I was left with a "yeah, that was OK" kind of impression and forgot about it soon after. I'm really baffled why they are bothering with it again when they have more lucrative options. Perhaps they are still burnt out from working on Doom 2016.

That, and Bethesda already has the post-apocalyptic survival game slot taken so RAGE is kinda in a weird spot.

A new Doom or Quake game makes a lot more sense.

That or perhaps Id has a new B team and they are in charge of it.

18 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

They ditched Megatextures for a reason.

They didn't ditch them, though. Doom'16 and Wolf2 still has them.

It's an idea that needed more time in the oven is how I look at it.

RAGE was weird. It was like a more serious and linear version of Borderlands, and who wants that? I couldn't get into it.

3 minutes ago, arobase said:

RAGE was weird. It was like a more serious and linear version of Borderlands, and who wants that? I couldn't get into it.

To me, it felt more like Strife.

7 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I really think we've reached the point where "extra detail" won't make new games any better.

Didn't we as a community strike that point somewhere around '07? When we had ultra-detailed maps because ultra-detail is ultra-good for ultra violence?

All that detail that got in the way and caused memory issues? Where've we heard that one before?

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Agreed, and I really did not like Strife.

3 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Agreed, and I really did not like Strife.

@Quasar deploy the bees

The rumor is that Rebellion is developing it and not id

I wonder if it will even be an FPS or something different?

Another open world post apocalypse with a focus on vehicles could be really cool; a new Fallout doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon and I don't care about Borderlands so I welcome it.

I can only imagine where that Rebellion rumor came from...

Spoiler

1665175796_Screenshot(623).png.cd53d8095aeaa6de1f7baa0ec25d9e57.png

It wouldn't surprise me if Rebellion is working on Rage 2, but that doesn't mean they're working on it solo. Rebellion has other games in the works and they could be working on it alongside id. After all, it wouldn't be the first time id outsourced parts of their game to other companies.

Edited by Eligos

Don't forget they also did Alien vs Predator Jaguar, AvP 99 and AvP 2010, all very fine games for their era. And I guess the Sniper Elite series is popular?

9 hours ago, Edward850 said:

They didn't ditch them, though. Doom'16 and Wolf2 still has them.

Really? I could have sworn they ditched them. Took them a while to get the tech right though, more than a decade.

6 hours ago, Edward850 said:

RAGE was Tim Willits' game. Willits also worked on Strife as a Level Designer.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/strife/credits

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

Really? I could have sworn they ditched them.

Nope, still there and very much in action. It's a hybrid system where some surfaces can be mega textured and some can just be tiled, or something like that anyway. Pretty much they can have textures of arbitrary sizes plunked down anywhere. The paging system is thus also still used (you can see it with the weapons sometimes on lower end systems, especially on the Switch with its limited RAM).

Edited by Edward850

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Really? I could have sworn they ditched them. Took them a while to get the tech right though, more than a decade.

RAGE was roughly 6 years in development, and during that time as I recall, they made some mistakes with the tech that they had to correct later---most notably, trimming down the massive file size for the game that resulted from all the gigantic textures. In the last year or so of development, they had to go through and investigate all the art assets, and do a bunch of down-sizing that resulted in some fairly cringe-worthy textures in the final product. The problems you see with the megatextures in RAGE had less to do with the tech itself, and more to do with how artists were given liberty early on to go crazy with texture sizes, only to later be forced to scale everything back.

4 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

The problems you see with the megatextures in RAGE had less to do with the tech itself, and more to do with how artists were given liberty early on to go crazy with texture sizes, only to later be forced to scale everything back.

I feel that, on the other side, none of the idtech games since have demonstrated the same level of artistic detail that RAGE did in its best moments. The amount of detail that the artists put into some of the megatextures was just amazing.

Willits dreamed about Rage series but we know how it finished. Id promised editor but this what came after all was a horrible beta like editor with "funny" Carmack's words, that if you like to compile a map, you should have hundreds core to do it right. I liked rage.

I love RAGE, played over 220h of it and I always wanted a sequel. But I have mixed feelings as I'd rather get the next DOOM now and RAGE 2 after that.

But if this is true, it's the weirdest thing ever. I thought RAGE was pretty much dead.

I put an unreasonable amount of time into Rage; probably more than what it deserved. The shooting was fun, but the car-combat was pretty mediocre. I'll be interested in seeing what they could do with it.

Bethesda seems to think Rage 2 will be pretty big judging by how it's been promoting it specifically. How common is it for Bethesda to do this for non-BGS games?

This is cool. I didn't put a lot of time in to Rage, but the few hours I did were enjoyable. I appreciated that the combat was less like Borderlands or Fallout 3, and was more in line with something like Quake. I always meant to go back to the game but I keep putting it off. If this is indeed a full blown sequel, it'll give people an excuse to go back to the original, myself included.

On 5/11/2018 at 5:37 AM, TheGamePhilosophe said:

I feel that, on the other side, none of the idtech games since have demonstrated the same level of artistic detail that RAGE did in its best moments. The amount of detail that the artists put into some of the megatextures was just amazing.

I feel like DOOM 2016 did reach that level of detail at times. But on the other hand, I would almost expect a game like RAGE to have an inordinate level of detail compared to most games. When you spend 6 years or so fiddling with a game, it can accumulate a lot of artistic detail. And when artists first started working on the game back in the mid-2000's, the prospect of being able to put an unlimited level of detail in must have been mind-blowing, so they probably were going crazy with it. DOOM also had a shorter development cycle, about 3 1/2 years (they have said that the project was restarted in late 2012 or early 2013), so there was probably less time devoted to sitting around and detailing environments to the nth degree.  

However, I think the *big* reason for the higher level of detail in RAGE than in a game like DOOM boils down to the simple difference in setting: the post-apocalyptic setting where you have hundreds of people living in broken down structures over long periods of time, versus DOOM, which takes place predominantly in a massive futuristic base that has been immaculately cleaned and maintained by teams of people daily. 

@Caffeine Freak

We should also take the higher monster count into consideration. That, and Doom is not really the kind of game where you stop to look at the details all the time. It's the kind of game that is supposed to look pretty while you are fighting and and running, like in a racing game. That's not to say that the game is ugly, on the contrary, to me how a Doom game looks and feels is one of the most important aspects and the new one nails it IMO, specifically the hell levels. It's just that it has different priorities to a game like RAGE.

Anyway, I am really surprised they are making a new one. I thought they ditched the IP to be honest. It was not only just an "ok game that did ok" but Fallout already occupies the post-apocalyptic shooter spot.

I mean, just like in Doom 3, you could see the talent and the flashes of brilliance, giving you the impression that it could have been one of the best games of all time but it just missed a lot of stuff. I don't think the game we got was the game we were supposed to get, not by a long shot and I am not talking just about the graphics. You could tell that a lot of the game was scrapped, possibly due to how big it was. I actually think they tried to remedy that with the Scorchers DLC to an extent.

I keep getting this vague feeling that the game was supposed to come out in 2008-2009, have a lot more content and complexity, and much higher-res textures.  Even when the game came out it felt...old in a weird way and not in an old-school manner.

thats...pretty underwhelming. How lazy of them.

1 minute ago, geX said:

thats...pretty underwhelming. How lazy of them.

I kinda have to agree. Although this might be just a short teaser like the one for Doom 2016.

Hmm.

You know, RAGE wasn't really my thing, but after this weekend I was ready for some RAGE 2 stuff. The twitter hype was very well done.

That "trailer" manages to put a damper on things though. This might have worked if it had been the very first sight of a sequel to a game that was actually in high demand. We already knew RAGE 2 (or something) was coming, so the very presence of this isn't exciting. It's a silly little video that fails to capture any kind of tone of the original game or show why I should care.

...and I was ready to care!

This of course only applies if it turns out to be the actual announcement trailer thing

EDIT: It looks like a pre-roll AD and is being experienced like that. Sure hope that's what it is.

Edited by Shaviro