Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goosepants

Anyone here as big a Duke Nukem fan as a Doom fan?

I recall there being a few people here who regard Duke 3D as their favourite first-person shooter. For me, it's second only to Doom within the FPS genre. I thought the two games before Duke 3D were kinda forgettable, and found Duke Nukem Forever to be genuinely awful. Manhattan Project seemed pretty fun based on my experience with the demo, but it was removed from distribution right when I was planning on purchasing it.

Always bet on Duke. Always.

I'm probably even more of a Duke Nukem fan than Doom fan, I know pretty much every easter egg and secret, I played it to death.

I was actually going to try mapping for Duke Nukem before Doom but then I saw that there isn't really that big of a community for it, but then I found Doom Mapping and saw how much easier and more popular it is, and the rest is history I guess.

Not as much as Doom... after all, I'm not on dukeworld or anything. I've played through most of the side scrolling Dukes. Like others I've played the entirety of Duke 3D and Duke Forever many times. Its tough to feel a kinship to something so outdated as to have the OJ Simpson SUV on a TV in a bar. I'm from that era, but I've long since moved past it. The 90s are dead, but Doom is timeless. Plus its the Duke character, I've never cared for wise cracking 90s mascots. The games are good, I'd just prefer to not hear Duke... or be Duke for that matter.

So while I'm a fan of Duke games its difficult to be as big of a fan as I am with Doom.

Edited by geo

3 minutes ago, geo said:

Not as much as Doom... after all, I'm not on dukeworld or anything. I've played through most of the side scrolling Dukes. Like others I've played the entirety of Duke 3D and Duke Forever many times. Its tough to feel a kinship to something so outdated as to have the OJ Simpson SUV on a bar. I'm from that era, but I've long since moved past it. The 90s are dead, but Doom is timeless. Plus its the Duke character, I've never cared for wise cracking 90s mascots. The games are good, I'd just prefer to not hear Duke... or be Duke for that matter.

i feel the exact same as this. i don't think there is even room for a new game, ion maiden will do nicely and will be a welcome change from the 90s tropes and one liners these games can get caught up in.

I used to be a big fan but as I've gotten older it's not something I play very often anymore. Duke is a relic from a time and culture I'd really rather just kind of forget.

Duke's king. 

2 hours ago, arobase said:

I used to be a big fan but as I've gotten older it's not something I play very often anymore. Duke is a relic from a time and culture I'd really rather just kind of forget.

Why?  That time is what made gaming what it is today.  The Witcher series shows more boobs and sexual content than any Duke Nukem game ever has....

Once a year I play through Atomic Edition and Time to Kill in an emulator.  I usually make a map a year as well.

I enjoyed Duke 3D back in the day, but I don't go back to it often. I should fire it up again soon.

I'll be honest, with the DOOM and Quake engines, the movement and gunplay felt a lot more refined to me and so I spent most of my time on those. That said, of the Build engine games, I put a ton of time into Blood.

I'm a big fan of the 4 Atomic Edition episodes of Duke3D. Haven't played the other stuff nor tried mapping for it though.

Hail to the King, baby vs <insert humping sound>.

Duke Nukem is one of my favorite franchises along with Doom (DNF is the exception -_-), so I can say that I'm 50/50 with both games.

Honestly I preferred Blood and Shadow Warrior over Duke Nukem 3D but definitely not Redneck Rampage which I think is the worst Build engine game, but I do enjoy DN3D from time to time, I have also played the most custom maps on it than all the other Build engine games.

In my childhood I was a big fan of Duke Nukem 3D. I love it more that Doom, because for me it was an only 3D-shooter where you can kill some enemies in the REAL city places. Now I'm a big fan of Doom, but I continue to love DN3D, too. 

I love user maps for Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. I've tried to create user map myself for 6 years ago, but it went badly.

The classic Dooms are unrivaled in my opinion, but Duke has the #2 spot for me. The art style and overall theme, the fun gameplay, Duke's attitude.. It's like an absurd version of Doom but in a really enjoyable way. The weapons are fun to use and the maps are fun to explore.

I recall Doom and Duke having a similar thing going on that Mario and Sonic did back when they were still much newer. One goes for absolute rock-solid gameplay while the other goes for the attitude and a sorta cheap 'wow factor' while arguably sacrificing some of the gameplay in the process. Ultimately the different approaches to inherently similar concepts resulted in a fun variety to choose from.

I wish DNF could have been for Duke what Doom2016 was for Doom. I think it's a cursed IP at this point and we should just enjoy the one excellent game in the series as it was meant to be and leave it's desecrated corpse alone. 15 years in development Hell accumulated too much bad juju.

I started mapping for Duke before I did for Doom, so... 

It's hard to be as big a Duke Nukem fan as a Doom fan without new good games.

The only Duke Nukem game I've ever played is the Balls of Steel computer pinball game, and honestly the only Duke game worth playing, as I suck at the platforming in the original and didn't find 3D as fun as Blood.  

Duke Nukem 3D was fun while I was young, but getting older made me.... grumpy I guess lol. My favorite FPS is without doubt Doom 2. Then maybe Duke Nukem 3D because of nostalgia, oh wait there is also Medal of Honor 1 and MOHU hmmm.

I like DN3D and it's easily among my top 10 games, although I don't quite enjoy it as much as Doom.

Duke 1 was better than Duke 2, but only the first episode. Duke 2 could've been better if it wasn't for the BS difficulty and being so zoomed in as well as a hideous art direction. Duke 3D is alright, but it never gripped me the same way Doom, Quake, Blood or even Wolf3D did. Everything else is trash.

More games need a Shrink Ray.

I have only played Duke Nukem 3D, but I love it! If I were to rank my FPS favourites by time spent in them, it's probably something like this:

1. Doom 2

2. Doom

3. Duke Nukem 3D

4. Hexen II

5. Quake II

6. Shadow Warrior

7. Quake

8. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

9. Blood

10. Heretic

And yeah, I haven't bought a new FPS in quite a long time haha

Edit: The music in Duke 3D is top-top notch by the way! Only one stinker, this being E3M3. If you haven't done it already, I'd highly recommend listening to a Roland sc-55 music playthrough on YouTube... in Duke's prime, I was stuck with a SB16. What a revelation it was to hear the music the intended way years later!