Find results in...
[McD] James

Yanny or Laurel, what do you hear?

Yanny or Laurel?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Yanny or Laurel?

• Yanny
    • Laurel

I can actually hear both if I imagine it saying one or the other. Like, it depends on what parts of the audio pronunciation you focus your hearing on I guess. I heard Yanny first so I voted for that.

"Yanny". I can't even remotely hear "Laurel". Can't wait for someone to explain this one!

Low frequency voice: Laurel

High frequency voice: Yanny

So, both...

Just now, NoisyVelvet said:

dunno. 'sounds like a doom monster.

leruaL raeh tsum uoy, emag eht niw oT

I heard 'yanny' at first, without question. But then I let the clip continue to repeat, probably about 30 or so times, and before it had played more than half a dozen times I could begin to hear the emergence of different sounds, sort of like when you hear a phrase repeated non-stop and then it kind of melts together. I can clearly hear 'laurel' now, even though 'yanny' wants to override it in my brain. If I just let it play on repeat I can hear both at once. Pretty neat.  

I'm sure I would never had heard it if I didn't know to be looking for it, though. 

This is screwing with my head. It keeps going back and forth for me.

EDIT: Now I'm hearing both at the same time.

When it is pitch shifted upwards, I hear Laurel, but when unedited or shifted down, I hear Yanny.

I have tried, but I have never been able to see the dress anything other than blue and black.

All I hear is this crashing wave of idiocy.

I don't know how it's possible to hear "Laurel" from that clip. It's only Yanny to me.

At first it was Yanny, then it flunctuated between Yarry and Yaurel until it settled on Yaurel. Doesn't really seem to me like it could shift to starting with an L sound, though, at least not with my ears.

... Also, honestly, I found the voice kinda creepy.

So this was artificially created to make people talk, not discovered by accident?

I'm with those who can't remotely hear laurel... It's definitely Yanny to me.

Then I got to some links in the facebook or twitter stuff. When people are messing around the playback speed and bass sound, I can hear laurel.

At default speed I hear 'Laurel', but once it's slowed down by 30% it becomes a very clear 'Yanny'.

I've run into this bizarre shit before. In this clip (9 seconds in) my friend Tomas swears that Sonic is saying "Here I'll show you", however to my ears it's very clearly "Now I'll show you".

The human brain is weird.

44 minutes ago, JudgeDeadd said:

Yelly

^ This. Or possibly more accurate - The word "Yearly" said with a strange accent/voice.

When I played the main video, I just heard Yanny. Basically something close to Yanny. It was more like Yammy, but still it is closer to Yanny.

Then I heard the sounds from the six links posted below, that were saying 30% slower, 20% slower, e.t.c. and I found it weird, but I heard Yanny in the first 3 and Laurel in the last 3. But the difference seemed huge. I was expecting the 2 things to be really close or something, but they are worlds apart. Read from the article that it is a difference in how much bass you play the sound with, but I can't comprehend that right now. Besides, I am not a sound engineer or anything...

I watched a YouTube video where somebody analyzed that sound, and it turns out that it says one word at a high pitch and another word at a low pitch at the same time. This cannot happen naturally. Somebody constructed the sound that way.