Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Beat/Fill '94 PWADs Month

Return to Return to Castle Wolfenstein (doom2 ver) by Norman Scott and Tim Scott

Map03 UV Max in 1:48 r2c3-148.zip

Map05 UV Max in 1:26 r2c5-126.zip

Also Map05 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:08 r2c5p008.zip - improving on my earlier run. Yes, I somehow missed this simple direct route, which should also be used for NM and Stroller.

Revved: I'm sure you're right about that. A lot of early wads had this type of issue - it crops up in many of Michael Novikov's demos (he'd often stop to punch the air a few times at that point in the demo, but obviously that only makes sense if you're not trying to speedrun). It's always worth mentioning it in the txt (likewise for unkillable monsters), as this means other people won't assume you've just missed it completely, and if they do wish to investigate, they know what to look for.

elmle: Just wondering if you have nuked the sound replacements in your copy of JCM2, and if not, how you can stand to play it with them.

AY CARAMBA!

The sounds actually make it more enjoyable for me since its pretty funny how much they don't fit in.

For some last minute points here are 2 maps where I believe an i‌mpse glide on the exit switch should be possible:

PCDOOM.WAD E1M1 - line 1431, near start of the map

YOHO.WAD E1M6 - line 915, northwest
Didn't play the map so not actually sure if the i‌mpse glide is the fastest possible way to exit. There's also YOHO2.WAD in Maximum Doom which is just this map "converted" to Doom 2 and with a few changes made.

1 hour ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

YOHO.WAD E1M6 - line 915, northwest

Do you have in mind a void glide too? It looks like it should be feasible (though I haven't actually done it, and opening that alcove isn't too simple) and there is a convoluted route wrapping around the void to get to the exit, but it's hardly an easy point up for grabs.

Talking of which...

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (doom2 ver) by Norman Scott and Tim Scott

Map01 NM 100S in 0:17 r2c1s017.zip

Map02 NM 100S in 0:37 r2c2s037.zip

Map03 NM 100S in 0:29 r2c3s029.zip

Map04 NM 100S in 0:48 r2c4s048.zip

Map05 NM 100S in 0:19 r2c5s019.zip

3 and 5 are probably the most entertaining.

As I said I didn't even attempt playing that map so I didn't even notice the possibility for a void glide. I only noticed the possible i‌mpse glide from south from inside the map. Seems to be a long way there but probably still saving a lot of time compared to the intended route.

From the south for a west-facing linedef is, as far as I understand it, impossible. The player drifts slightly to the left when moving forward.

Ah, these complicated details of the Doom engine. I hope one day there will be an in-depth analysis of the i‌mpse glide discussing all the details when it is and when it isn't possible.

dmdave E1M1

NM Speed in 0:07.40

dave-01n740.zip

Edited by Keyboard_Doomer

ggdeath
E2M2 Pacifist in 0:02.94
E2M2 NM Speed in 0:02.94
E2M3 Pacifist in 0:04:34
E2M3 NM Speed in 0:04:40

Categorized under deathmatch on idgames but has "Single Player: Designed for" in the text file.
I recorded all 4 demos in the original version present in Maximum Doom. However, only the "legalized version" is available on idgames for linking. Demos playback the same.

ggdeath_kd.zip

11 hours ago, Revved said:

The secret that I missed is on a sector that's way too thin for it to register. The sector that registers as a secret is right between the teleporter in that secret and the door that opens up to it. Since the player ends up getting elevated onto the teleporter before stepping on the actual secret sector, I decided not to go for it. Trust me, I've checked, and not even the most minute key presses will register it. The Warrens-esque revisiting of that level on E3M9 doesn't even tag it as a secret either, so I think the mapmaker realized his mistake there.

Hence, I believe it should be valid since 3/4 secrets are the maximum obtainable secrets on this map.

Whoops, sorry, was looking at the wrong map. Fixed the spreadsheet.

NJDoom E1M2 UV Max in 3:43

NJDoom E1M3 UV Max in 3:39

NJDoom E2M1 UV Max in 2:11

NJDoom E2M6 UV Max in 7:42

NJDoom E3M1 UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:20

NJDoom E3M1 NM Speed in 0:20

NJDoom E3M1 UV Stroller in 0:29

NJDoom E3M2 UV Max in 3:11

NJDoom E3M9 UV Max in 3:41

pie.wad UV Fast in 1:24

pie.wad UV Respawn in 1:24

pie.wad NM Speed in 1:24

pie.wad UV Stroller in 1:27

revmisc10.zip

Congratulations to the winner! This was a fun month and I will be looking forward to the next event of this type.

Yeah I did take that into consideration haha. But It's 18 for me so this has finished for me.

Still plenty of time for someone to drop in a last-minute bomb of trivial DM-wad Maxes. It's still afternoon in the UTC-12 time zone!

Congratulations to all participants! This has been a fun month and I will be looking forward to any other events of this type.  I still have a number of Demos to watch and love having these.  This is the kind of effort that could really blaze though the archives. Quite the historical achievement. And all in only one month.  Thanks to all. Good Job!

Congratulations to all participants. This really knocked out a significant number of '94 PWADs with fills of various kinds. Here is the final table:

Revved               163
Grazza               152
ELMLE                142
Bob9001              126
GuyNamedErick        60
Ancalagon            49
4shockblast          41
Ryback               27
GarrettChan          21
Zahid                19
Keyboard_Doomer      12
JudgeDeadd           9
walter confalonieri  9
therektafire         5
Benjogami            4
Memfis               3
NoisyVelvet          1

Congrats to Revved as King of Tablefilling! And here is the link to the full spreadsheet again: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L65fUZnG8KPNGeoXwLWW4QJz1rhBQ96EZVRWu3hFM-w/edit?usp=sharing. Over six hundred lines of submissions there!

Open to more suggestions for events of this type (or just plain beat x player demos month events). I expect that whatever the next month will be probably won't be as open as the past two if I do it, though; as nice as a mountain of submissions is, it takes way too much time for me to verify everything. :D Maybe beating a tougher player's demos or more challenging or time-intensive run fills.

Edited by 4shockblast

Yes, a good month. Not too much cheap point-grabbing, and a fair amount of reasonable quality. I was actually surprised how many of these early wads had been previously recorded on.

Ideas for a future month:

* Movie runs only (5 or 10 maps at a time, the whole of a multi-level wad, or a full episode of a Doom1 megawad)

* Beat demos from a previous "Beat ..." month (that way at least there will already be a DSDA page for the wads)

* Dehacked wads only (beat previous demos or record in undone categories); that is, wads that use dehacked for more than just level names and intermission texts. A list could be provided to get people started (though obviously any suitable wad that people find could be included). Here is a list I made years ago:

aliens tc (various versions/filenames)

allhell
anubis
aotw
arctic (and other wolfendoom wads)
ars_sml (a virtual exhibition)
batman
biotech
bloody (silly, over-the-top, changes)
cyber110
d2flies
dakills
deus (ex machina)
doomball
egypt
hacx
hostage3
house1
hyena
mordeth
newbreed
osiris
real
sci2
smb (very weird indeed)
sr388b1 (variable quality maps; moderate amount of dehacked changes)
strain
thegate
tmall
wotdoom3
zombies

Edited by Grazza

3 hours ago, Grazza said:

movie runs only (5 or 10 maps at a time, the whole of a multi-level wad, or a full episode of a Doom1 megawad)

Now that is a good concept!

My suggestion would be something like a tyson month.

How many Tyson records can be beaten (Partly inspired by J4rio re-doing some of Plutonia as a recent example).

How about beat/fill '95 PWADs...Filling servers a bit more purpose than Beating the already done demo imo

That´s an easy one, beat as many uv-respawn c-n demos using monster counter HUD as possible, so we can finally make it a standard way of playing that category.

1995 would be a fun and logical continuation, give me that SSG!

Btw, no points for me in the table?

If needed one could probably put together a team of volunteers to help verify demos for the next one.  No need to saddle 4shockblast with the mountain of demos it produced.   4shockblast, if desired, could head the effort and have the volunteers, after verification, submit the demos to be included in the spreadsheet.

18 hours ago, j4rio said:

That´s an easy one, beat as many uv-respawn c-n demos using monster counter HUD as possible, so we can finally make it a standard way of playing that category.

Or this!

UV -Fast and UV Respawn? Sounds good already *licks lips*

It's kind of sad that I didn't participate later in the month. Anyway, thanks for the effort putting this together, 4shock.

On 5/19/2018 at 9:20 AM, Memfis said:

Btw, no points for me in the table?

Oops, sorry, I added your demo to the spreadsheet but didn't add the necessary setup to have it show up on the leaderboard.

A lot of good creative ideas here. '95 month is one of those ideas that makes sense logically, but would be a pain to verify since there could again be lots of demos, unless we go with Searcher's idea of having a team of people verifying the demos. At least there aren't any WADPAKs in '95 that have full tables, though, I think.

Yeah, '95 is a natural follow-up, but your previous comment appeared to rule it out more or less. This kind of thing has to be kept pretty simple from an organizational viewpoint. It's possible, of course, that the last month has been an anomaly and there will never be anything like as many entries for a future 'Beat' month, regardless of the theme.

I believe you are right that the compilation wads were very much a '94 thing. Even compilation wads released in '95 were mostly based on wads from '94, for whatever reason. By '95, most multi-level wads were released by the maker(s) of the maps themselves.

I think these events work best if there is little restriction on the category, since everyone has different preferences, and many wads work better for one thing than another. And often work on one category suggests ideas for another. My suggestions were aimed at leaving a lot of freedom in that respect, while still encouraging people to try modes of play that are a little away from the norm.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind the next theme to be less appealing since I have lots of work to do, a book to write, and some travel plans, etc. :p