Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Site and/or forum bugs or things not working

14 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

The Controversial Opinions thread is gone. Has it been deleted? 

Working as intended.

(No it was Hell'ed and thus is no longer accessible)

27 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Working as intended.

(No it was Hell'ed and thus is no longer accessible)

Ooh boy. Glad I got that cleared up. Thanks for the answer.

It looks like the nice code that reduced quoted images to a smaller size has stopped working (at least on mobile view, I haven't checked desktop yet). I think it really helped keep the forums looking tidy if it's possible to fix it?

@Xaser probably I am the only one who used spoiler in "About" page, because no one reported about it. And it have white background. I hope it will fixed.

jWtp9et.png

On 5/10/2018 at 2:59 PM, Eris Falling said:

Can auto-emojis be disabled somehow? 😐

On 5/15/2018 at 1:50 PM, rdwpa said:

There are emojis now. 💯 🔥🎽 🍘 For some reason I doubt that is intentional, so I'm guessing it was something that wasn't turned off in the latest update. 

⬆️ 📆 Just bringing it to the admins' attention. 😘 😙 💖 💞

On 5/15/2018 at 2:25 PM, Linguica said:

What do you mean "there are emojis now"

Are emojis a bad or disliked thing? (seriously, I don't know). Seems like they could be helpful in conveying feeling, or intent, in a text medium like a forum.

8 hours ago, kb1 said:

Are emojis a bad or disliked thing? (seriously, I don't know). Seems like they could be helpful in conveying feeling, or intent, in a text medium like a forum.

Well, I'd like to use them if I feel like it, I just don't appreciate having them replace my keyboard-made smilies or whatever.

Aslong as there is a way to turn them off and there is a limit of 3 in every post. But really: Forum posts are inherently 2d communication and  smileys dosen't change a thing. Infact every post you make here should be written as if everybody else has images turned off in their browsers.

Edited by NeedHealth

I might not have a rocket fast internet connection so it could be something on my end, but lately I've noticed that posting comments takes quite a bit longer than usual. I'm sometimes waiting almost 10 seconds for a post to go past the "Saving... " stage.

The loading time of pages and everything else is still as fast as usual though.

We updated the forum software a few days ago and it includes a new feature (elasticsearch integration) that does not seem bulletproof yet.

I made a post, clicked submit, scrolled the page back down and see an error ( please wait 22 seconds before making an other post or smth) for double posting when I didn't. So something failed and the double post limit caught it.

For context, here are the two bugs I have personally discovered so far on the new software version:

1. IPS counts page views by adding a row to a special table that just stores the ID of the item just viewed, then every 5 minutes a background task counts up how many records there are for every item ID and updates their counters in their main database entry. However, the task has a problem with its logic where if elasticsearch is not reachable, it will update the view count for the first item ID it sees, then attempt to update something in elasticsearch and throw an exception without even removing those records from the database. The result is that view counts were not being updated, except for one item ID (which happened to be pictures thread) where every 5 minutes it would re-add the count in the temp table, so the pictures thread ended up having "millions" of views because every 5 minutes it would increase more and more.
  2. Elasticsearch stores a record for every content item, including every thread and every post in every thread, and in that record it stores various information, including reply count, which users are part of that thread, etc. When someone makes / edits / deletes a post, it sends a query to elasticsearch to update all those records with the new reply count etc. The problem is that it tells elasticsearch to update the counters for the thread, and also update the counters that are stored IN EVERY SINGLE POST FOR SOME REASON. That means for a long-ass thread, like the pictures thread, the query would time out. I do not even know if there is some point to having all this duplicate information, or if the counters stored in the post records are ever used for anything.

The "condensed" search new posts option now no longer shows the updated threads, but every single new post. This intentional? Also, the search function itself no longer takes wildcards into consideration.

No, it's not intentional, and it doesn't appear to happen on the official IPS forum, so I will look into it. As for wildcards, the new search engine seems to still be going through growing pains so I am going to wait a while to see if Invision makes it more robust in an upcoming version.

My account settings keeps telling me I've already used my one username change for the year, even though I haven't actually gone to that menu at all. I don't know if this belongs here, but I thought I would just in case :P

On 5/17/2018 at 8:45 AM, NeedHealth said:

Aslong as there is a way to turn them off and there is a limit of 3 in every post. But really: Forum posts are inherently 2d communication and  smileys dosen't change a thing. Infact every post you make here should be written as if everybody else has images turned off in their browsers.

What is "2d communication?". I can't figure out how to turn them on/off in a post. The forum converted colon / right-paren into a smiley one time for me, then it stopped.

But, really a tiny image that might bring a little emotion into a wall of text is welcome in my book, based on how often misunderstandings seem to occur.

New Bug after Forum Software Update:

In { Activity \ My Activity \ Content I Posted In } (and maybe elsewhere), the same thread is now listed multiple times, once for every not-yet-read post (maybe), or once for every unique person maybe. It used to show one line per thread, which makes a lot more sense, I think.

Yes, content streams are currently showing every new post in a thread, and it's a direct result of the line I commented out to stop Elasticsearch from going crazy. I will have to figure out a solution because updating every post in a thread every time someone posts in the thread is ludicrous (or, at the very least, would put a stop to any long-lasting threads we have around here). I am hoping that maybe I can figure out how to turn it into a background task that updates all the posts at a reasonable rate every 5 minutes or whatever.

3 hours ago, kb1 said:

What is "2d communication?".

Spoiler

I can't figure out how to turn them on/off in a post. The forum converted colon / right-paren into a smiley one time for me, then it stopped.

But, really a tiny image that might bring a little emotion into a wall of text is welcome in my book, based on how often misunderstandings seem to occur.

New Bug after Forum Software Update:

In { Activity \ My Activity \ Content I Posted In } (and maybe elsewhere), the same thread is now listed multiple times, once for every not-yet-read post (maybe), or once for every unique person maybe. It used to show one line per thread, which makes a lot more sense, I think.

Sorry, 2d communication - as opposed to the 3d dito which is meeting face to face. I hope this is clearer now.

@Linguica the option to put part of a post in a spoiler when posting from a phone seems to be lacking.

Edited by NeedHealth

Now I know this is not the right place to report this since it's not about a forum related issue (and I know it was brough up before), but something ought to be done about that "Useful Review" function on the Downloads section of the wads.

I'm getting sick to death of seeing trolls swarming in the reviews section. I get that everyone has their own opinions and preferences, and that's not the reason I'm bringing this up again, but what's going on there in simply ludicrous.

It's barely been a few hours and my Stardate 20x6 review is already downvoted. And just take a look at the downvote rape on Valiant's page: www.doomworld.com/files/file/18049-valiant/

Stardate 20x6: www.doomworld.com/files/file/17221-stardate-20x6/?tab=reviews

And Sunlust... www.doomworld.com/files/file/18168-sunlust/ @Grain of Salt was even downvoted into oblivion. I've even seen a "2/11" post somewhere.

I think the "Useful Review" function should either be removed altogether or the persons who use it should no longer stay annonymous. It's past being fun at this point, this is childish and retarded.

2 hours ago, Agent6 said:

@Grain of Salt was even downvoted into oblivion.

To be fair, Grain of Salt gave the max score with just the comment "it's good". That's indeed "not helpful" for those peeps trying to find a WAD to their taste and pretty much warrants the "not helpfull" score.

36 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

To be fair, Grain of Salt gave the max score with just the comment "it's good". That's indeed "not helpful" for those peeps trying to find a WAD to their taste and pretty much warrants the "not helpfull" score.

You have a point, but still, I think that kind of downvoting is a bit extreme.

E: Talking about reviews, I just found a bug. Notifications are no longer sent when someone likes a review. @Fonze liked my Stardate 20x6 review yet I see no notification informing me of this anywhere.

Edited by Agent6

Is there a way to tie usernames and wads in the download page together? Or does it require admin privileges?

My "it's good" review was actually a brave stand against verbose reviews that end up saying nothing, and give no reason to treat the rating as anything other than opinion... but which end up with lots of upvotes anyway because people love empty pontificating.

I rarely shut up about sunlust, so people who want length should just treat everything I say as an ongoing sunlust review.

Hello,

Sorry for offtopic, but I can't find a way to collapse the new entries into threads. It's annoying since I can visit the forum only occassionally and the amount of new messages is tremendous :/

I believe this hasn't been working like that some time ago :)

image.png.cc2893f0dda5bac80bd077a74bd25b35.png

On 5/17/2018 at 8:25 PM, Linguica said:

...That means for a long-ass thread, like the pictures thread, the query would time out. I do not even know if there is some point to having all this duplicate information, or if the counters stored in the post records are ever used for anything.

Aren't the counts there to remember which threads everyone has seen, for the 'show me new content' stuff and the like? You might be able to bump up the query timeout value, but something sounds hosed up. Maybe the software has never had a forum as big as Doomworld to deal with.

Maybe add a clause that keeps it from going back more than, say, 2 years, and put an index on that date field. Still, I find it strange that the upgrade is having such problems - did you check the upgrade logs, and did it want to upgrade the data tables? (I'm just reaching, here, but it seems strange to me.) Another option is to let the software build new tables, and import the old data, but, yuck.) I don't think this issue will go away, and it might be getting worse (old threads are ok, new threads are getting out of sync...) That's the best I can suggest while clueless.