Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Urthar

Menu lumps

I'm updating DotB with custom menu graphics used by Eternity, but the wiki entry (http://eternity.youfailit.net/wiki/Predefined_lumps)

seemed to reference a earlier version of Eternity.

Essentially I'm unsure of the lump names for 'GAME SETTINGS' 'WAD OPTIONS' 'CONFIGURATION' and

'THE ETERNITY ENGINE' along with the name of the background flat used with it.

GAME SETTINGS: M_GSET

WAD OPTIONS: M_WADOPT

CONFIGURATION and THE ETERNITY ENGINE: Doesn't have a dedicated lump. Instead, it relies on the font defined in the EDF files as ee_bigfont. These use greyscale big font graphics, and then relies on a translation defined in the ee_bigfont definition. For Doom it uses the red colortable (defined in the various Doom gamemodeinfo_t structures).

Background flat: By default in Doom 2/Final Doom, it's SLIME05 (defined by Doom 2/Final Doom gamemodeinfo_t).

I've ran into annoyances with fonts before. To help you, if you're not in any big hurry, I might see if I can get to making fontdeltas a reality.

Edited by Altazimuth

4 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

GAME SETTINGS: M_GSET

WAD OPTIONS: M_WADOPT

CONFIGURATION and THE ETERNITY ENGINE: Doesn't have a dedicated lump. Instead, it relies on the font defined in the EDF files as ee_bigfont. These use greyscale big font graphics, and then relies on a translation defined in the ee_bigfont definition. For Doom it uses the red colortable (defined in the various Doom gamemodeinfo_t structures).

Background flat: By default in Doom 2/Final Doom, it's SLIME05 (defined by Doom 2/Final Doom gamemodeinfo_t).

I've ran into annoyances with fonts before. To help you, if you're not in any big hurry, I might see if I can get to making fontdeltas a reality.

Thank you for the reply. I'm planning to get the final release out before the end of May, so I'll fix what I can and leave it at that for now.

Eventually I'm planning to make a dedicated Eternity episode using the portal tech, so I'll get more deeply into Eternity stuff then.

3 hours ago, fraggle said:

Easiest thing to do is open eternity.wad in your favourite WAD tool and look through the lumps there. The Freedoom text generator config might also be helpful:

https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/master/graphics/text/config.py#L169

Yeah,  that's the approach I would normally take, but Eternity version 4 doesn't seem to have a wad, or at least I can't see one in the directory or sub-directories of my install.

I think it's called eternity.pke now, you should be able to open it in Slade like a pk3 (or extract it using a zip program).

Looking forward to seeing your Eternity episode!

Ah.... found it. Thank you kindly, but don't hold your breathe for the Eternity episode, there's a whole ZDoom episode to do first.

4 hours ago, Urthar said:

before the end of May,

Hoo boy. I'll see what I can do but I can't make any promises because it's exam season. It might end up being relatively easy to implement though, in which case I could get it done fairly soon.

1 hour ago, Altazimuth said:

Hoo boy. I'll see what I can do but I can't make any promises because it's exam season. It might end up being relatively easy to implement though, in which case I could get it done fairly soon.

Oh, don't put yourself out at a busy time, it's only a few menu graphics. Besides I'm sure that as soon as I release a final version, everyone will start reporting bugs, and I'll have to release a fixed version later on.

@Urthar I'm doing fuck-all today (having a break after two exams two days running) so I'll try to get fontdeltas in by the end of the day. It shouldn't be a huge undertaking.

EDIT: Did it. Next DRDTeam build will be capable of managing this. Get in touch with me whenever and I'll be happy to help. https://github.com/team-eternity/eternity/commit/0a0160da9788384e947cb206d9b1956033f108d9

Edited by Altazimuth

There's more you need to do, as EE can't read FON2-format lumps (which is what DBIGFONT is). Do you already have the individual graphics on their own somewhere? If so then this process will be significantly easier.

No the base font is all on one png:

BIGFONT01.png

and...

BIGFONT.png

Edited by Urthar

So in order that's what:

!"#$%&'()*
+,-_/;:<=>?@
ABCDEFG
HIJKLMN G
OPQRST
UVWXYZ[\]

This?

How come there's a G just floating out on the right of N?

EDIT: I'll try separate this out for you. Give me a bit.

Edited by Altazimuth

The first image is just what I use to quickly cut and paste custom graphics together, the shorter second 'G' was just shoved in there so I could fix a few height problems in a few menu entries.

The second image was the actual pre-converted BIGFONT, and there's a third bitmap I whipped up for Bitmap Font Writer which doesn't have the 'space' at the start. I think it's all standard ASCII ordered:

BITMAP.png

3 minutes ago, Urthar said:

ASCII ordered

Gooooood. Am I alright to just use the DBIGFONT lump in the latest version you posted as a reference?

Just plonk the contents of this WAD into whatever your dev wad is. It will not run on current EE, but will on any build marked 17th May or later. I can build you an exe right now if you want one. I think I didn't fuck up any of the graphics. Please read the EFONTS lump as there's a comment in there that you need to look at.

DOTB-EE-Guff.zip

Shout in here again if you need any further help, as I'm more than happy to oblige. Sorry to keep you waiting a bit on this feature.

Wow, thanks a lot!

Btw I use a negative 1 pixel kerning in the DBIGFONT. Is there a way of doing that in EFONT?

That should already be the case, as widthdelta (negative values increase the spacing) is 1 (as defined in ee_bigfont in base/doom/fonts.edf). If you want to can put a widthdelta value in the ee_bigfont delta, and see how you best like it. Negative numbers mean the text is spaced further apart.

Edited by Altazimuth

Sorry, my confusion. When I originally created the DBIGFONT lump, I had to hex-edit it to insert a negative number to move the letters closer together.

I think having a widthdelta for the ee_bigfont would be generally useful for the future. Though I suspect most modders will use better behaved custom fonts that have the same proportions as the base Doom font.

widthdelta is 0 by default. A fair few fonts have it as 1 to move the text closer together (ee_midfont, ee_bigfont, and ee_menufont have it as 1 for the Dooms).

The font system needs documenting. I think Quasar has some pre-wiki documentation for it online somewhere, but I've since lost it.