Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Firemace?

First off, i'm new here. So hello everybody. i hope we can get along yadda yadda yadda.
anyway...
in a wad file, i have sprites named MACEA0 MACEB0 MACEC0 etc.
in zdoom(beta 1.23) i typed in 'idfa' and it said 'Firemace'. it uses the MACE sprites, it's own ammo, and seems to have no effect on enemies. so, wtf is it?

The Firemace is actually one of the weapons for Heretic (7th one actually). Was this the normal Doom wadfile or did someone else make it?

I was just using some hexen/heretic sprites in a pwad file(not going to be released) and i stumbled upon the firemace.
can anyone tell me how to make it work against enemies?

Lurker said:

I was just using some hexen/heretic sprites in a pwad file(not going to be released) and i stumbled upon the firemace.
can anyone tell me how to make it work against enemies?

I'm using the heretic mace in a zdoom wad I made, the wad based on doom2. I don't remember many issues. One, if you want to hear it work, you need this stuff in your sndinfo lump:

$ifdoom

weapons/maceshoot lobsht
weapons/macebounce bounce
weapons/macehit lobhit
weapons/macestop pstop
weapons/maceexplode phohit

You will need those sounds (lobsht, bounce, etc.) in your zdoom wad - get then from heretic.wad.

Also, you will need the mace ball graphics fx02a0 through fx02j0. The mace itself, standing, is the wmcea0 graphic and the firing mace is macea0 - macef0.

Finally, you need to be able to select this weapon in game..use the "next weapon" key to get to it, or bind a key to the mace, such as
m=weapon 15.

To get the mace into the game, you can type, at the zdoom console, "summon mace" and it should appear in front of you. Or, as I do in my wad, spawn it for the player (before he gets to that area) with the spawnspot command, such as spawnspot ("Mace", 157, 177, 0); which spawns a mace at map spot tagged 157, and gives the mace tag 177. Then, later in this script I have Thing_SetSpecial (177, Thing_Remove, 1, 0, 0); which assigns an action to the mace (things tagged 1 are removed upon getting the mace).

Biffy said:

I don't remember many issues.

I could be wrong, but did you not notice with one of the pre releases, or maybe b33 that mace balls were not hurting Doom monsters? Something I'm pretty sure Randy subsequently fixed. Of course, I could be thinking about something else entirely, I'm really not sure.

Enjay said:

I could be wrong, but did you not notice with one of the pre releases, or maybe b33 that mace balls were not hurting Doom monsters? Something I'm pretty sure Randy subsequently fixed. Of course, I could be thinking about something else entirely, I'm really not sure.

Hmm, I remember that "spawnspot" was not working with beta33. Also, I might have complained about mace balls not bouncing on slopes, and about the fact that "tomed" mace balls did not appear to aim up or down according to mlook. I do remember snuffing arachnotrons with single tomed mace balls. :)

Haven't been working on this stuff in a few months...I'll have to give you another look at it soon. I'm going to see if I can alter the thrustthing script to make it work with v18...I'll let you know.

Just found the old mail.

On march 30th you wrote me about some sound problems with the mace, and that mace balls were not damaging imps. Not sure which version was current then, but it was a while ago, so an early pre release or maybe b33 seem likely.

The "Death Ball" you get when using the Tome of Power on the Firemace should kill pretty much anything in one hit, because it does 10K damage ^_^

The only things I'm aware of that it absolutely will not kill in one hit are certain bosses, including D'Sparil, and that's only because there's a special check against them (with a comment in the Heretic source that says "stop cheap boss kills").

It also does not kill Iron Liches or Maulotaurs in one hit as well, for the same reason. Also, the mace balls (powered up or not) will pass right through ghosts, and they will also pass through the Disciples of D'Sparil when they start to blink right before they attack.