Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
USK GOV

THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Well it took me 3 days to finish this wad and did not require much effort at all because it was eazy to make you will see why when you play but here is The floor is lava a wad where almost all of the floor sectors are lava i love to see speedruns of this wad if you do decide to speedrun this wad please send it to me i love to see http://www.mediafire.com/file/teefzrn02kbxqiv/The+floor+is+lava.wad

Ok guys, I played this level so you don't have to, and trust me, you basically don't... it is just Doom 1 but with all the floors replaced with lava, at least as far as I can tell... well I guess the name is accurate

I wonder if you could make a mod that replaces the floors in any WAD with lava? (Ideally you'd have some logic to only do the floor and leave computer consoles alone, as well as furniture, trim, etc...)

15 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I wonder if you could make a mod that replaces the floors in any WAD with lava? (Ideally you'd have some logic to only do the floor and leave computer consoles alone, as well as furniture, trim, etc...)

Don't think it'd be too difficult to do in GZDoom, or at least, replacing any floor - regardless of what it originally was - with lava.

So, USK GOV recently posted a status update describing this wad as a joke wad that is "doom but every level i have replaced all of the floor sectors with lava." So, @therektafire, it is exactly what you said it was, by design.

@USK GOV

Again, please include (at the very least):

• Screenshots
  • Which iwad is required to play the game (Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia, Chex Quest, etc.)
  • Which ports you tested the level(s) on
  • Which map slots are used

Just now, Pegleg said:

So, USK GOV recently posted a status update describing this wad as a joke wad that is "doom but every level i have replaced all of the floor sectors with lava." So, @therektafire, it is exactly what you said it was, by design.

@USK GOV

Again, please include (at the very least):

• Screenshots
  • Which iwad is required to play the game (Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia, Chex Quest, etc.)
  • Which ports you tested the level(s) on
  • Which map slots are used

Oh well I don't read the status updates lol. I just read actual posts

16 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Would you make the lava floor damaging? If so, then I would think that you'd have to also add liberal numbers of radiation suits, or else you'd never be able to make it through the levels.

1 minute ago, therektafire said:

Oh well I don't read the status updates lol. I just read actual posts

It wasn't actually a status update. It was a thread describing what was going on in his life and how he had cancelled his last two megawads and was working on this joke wad. Fraggle locked the thread and told him to use status updates for that sort of thing instead.

43 minutes ago, USK GOV said:

Well it took me 3 days to finish this wad and did not require much effort at all because it was eazy to make you will see why when you play but here is The floor is lava a wad where almost all of the floor sectors are lava i love to see speedruns of this wad if you do decide to speedrun this wad please send it to me i love to see http://www.mediafire.com/file/teefzrn02kbxqiv/The+floor+is+lava.wad

In the future, I would suggest that you use your time to make your own, original, levels. In past posts, you've complained about life getting in the way of mapping, which is why you had to reduce the size of your projects. However, you just spend 3 days replacing the floor textures in Doom 1 with lava. You could have spent those 3 days making a new map.

I'm not saying you would have to make something elaborate, but you could actually hone your skills and develop your mapping abilities. Even if you're not that fast at mapping (I'm not either), you could still make a start on a map. Then, you could submit it and get some sort of feedback instead of people derailing your thread to talk about other things.

I'm not trying to be harsh. I'm not trying to tell you not to make Doom maps. If you want to be part of the Doom mapping community, please, by all means, join in. I'm just suggesting that you would probably get more out of it if you worked on something original instead of just editing iwad material.

43 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Would you make the lava floor damaging? If so, then I would think that you'd have to also add liberal numbers of radiation suits, or else you'd never be able to make it through the levels.

Right. Probably keep it on the lowest damage level, and maybe replace all stimpacks with radsuits? (Or replace stimpacks with a stimpack and a radsuit?)

2 hours ago, therektafire said:

Ok guys, I played this level so you don't have to, and trust me, you basically don't... it is just Doom 1 but with all the floors replaced with lava, at least as far as I can tell... well I guess the name is accurate

I suggested this mod so I didn't have to make it:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1849264

I am happy someone made it.

Edited by geo

honestly, if there's a way to loop through sectors - it shouldn't be too hard to write a script for this.

here's some pseudocode:

foreach sector

set texture to lava (always)

if effect doesnt equal exit on death AND it doesnt equal secret AND it doesnt equal a teleport AND any raise AND any lower AND any door or elevator trigger

(or you can just start only by doing this on sectors with effect 0)

set sector effect = hellslime or super hellslime or nukage (you can even make it difficulty based!)

endif

end loop

12 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

honestly, if there's a way to loop through sectors - it shouldn't be too hard to write a script for this.

for (int s=0; s<=1000; s++)

Use s as the sector tag.

2 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Use s as the sector tag.

wouldn't that requiring tagging all the sectors though? i'm not sure every sector needs to be tagged. 

No. Where it says "int s=0" it means that includes all sectors tagged as zero.

Here's a possible script:

script "Lava Hell" OPEN
{
      ChangeFloor (s, "LAVA1");
      Sector_SetDamage (s, 5, MOD_LAVA, 0, 0);
}

This would change all the flats to LAVA1 and set their damage to 5 health at the same interval as Doom's standard hurt floors.

3 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

No. Where it says "int s=0" it means that includes all sectors tagged as zero.

Here's a possible script:

script "Lava Hell" OPEN
{
      ChangeFloor (s, "LAVA1");
      Sector_SetDamage (s, 5, MOD_LAVA, 0, 0);
}

This would change all the flats to LAVA1 and set their damage to 5 health at the same interval as Doom's standard hurt floors.

oh! i get it! so in addition to the sectors having their normal effect, they can also do damage! it used to be that was not the case afaik.

i think this is where i got confused. 

Also, if you wanted the lava to damage monsters, too, you could use SectorDamage and specify the flags DAMAGE_PLAYERS and DAMAGE_NONPLAYERS and the monsters would suffer this damage as well, which would make for quite an interesting experience.

SetSectorDamage is the same as Sector_SetDamage, except you can write a damage type directly as a parameter.

This started off as a ridiculous idea and it turned into something really cool!

9 hours ago, Pegleg said:

It wasn't actually a status update. It was a thread describing what was going on in his life and how he had cancelled his last two megawads and was working on this joke wad. Fraggle locked the thread and told him to use status updates for that sort of thing instead.

In the future, I would suggest that you use your time to make your own, original, levels. In past posts, you've complained about life getting in the way of mapping, which is why you had to reduce the size of your projects. However, you just spend 3 days replacing the floor textures in Doom 1 with lava. You could have spent those 3 days making a new map.

I'm not saying you would have to make something elaborate, but you could actually hone your skills and develop your mapping abilities. Even if you're not that fast at mapping (I'm not either), you could still make a start on a map. Then, you could submit it and get some sort of feedback instead of people derailing your thread to talk about other things.

I'm not trying to be harsh. I'm not trying to tell you not to make Doom maps. If you want to be part of the Doom mapping community, please, by all means, join in. I'm just suggesting that you would probably get more out of it if you worked on something original instead of just editing iwad material.

Yeah what was i thinking  i was an idiot making this wad but i would love to see speedruns of it i thought people would say this

You know what next time i am gonna a 5 map long wad of oringal levels

10 hours ago, USK GOV said:

Fuck i forgot the text file

On 5/18/2018 at 8:28 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Also, if you wanted the lava to damage monsters, too, you could use SectorDamage and specify the flags DAMAGE_PLAYERS and DAMAGE_NONPLAYERS and the monsters would suffer this damage as well, which would make for quite an interesting experience.

SetSectorDamage is the same as Sector_SetDamage, except you can write a damage type directly as a parameter.

This started off as a ridiculous idea and it turned into something really cool!

As someone whose worked with ACS in the past and is a full time programmer, I am very impressed with your knowledge of the language.

You're a full time programmer and I'm a guy who learned everything he knows about the language in the period of six months.

Experience beats knowledge, my friend.

Also, ZDoom wiki really helps.

Admittedly, a lot of what I know comes from looking at code and applying it myself, which is how I know the for loop can be used to select every sector in the map in one line. Also, almost all of my code is brute force more than anything else.

But thank you.

2 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Also, almost all of my code is brute force more than anything else.

Your statement reminds me of a story:

I have a good friend who used to be a programmer for IBM. When he was in college, he was a CS major and his girlfriend (now wife) was a math major and they were in a couple of classes together. He once told me a story about how they had an assignment to write a program to do something (I don't remember what). As a future professional programmer, he took a very elegant approach, while she chose the brute force method.

They both got the job done, but one was definitely the "programmer-esque" way of doing it.

By the way, I'm not throwing stones. I'm not a programmer, either.

4 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

They both got the job done, but one was definitely the "programmer-esque" way of doing it.

Hey, if it's not broken, don't fix it, right?

I don't care how sloppy it is (though, it tends to be remarkably neat), I just care that it works.

Still, pretty much all the ACS I know how to use has been absorbed in about six months, all for a singular mod that I still haven't completed.

I did work with it before that, but only sparingly, and I had no clue how to work even simple variables. It's amusing how quickly I learned it.

10 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Hey, if it's not broken, don't fix it, right?

I don't care how sloppy it is (though, it tends to be remarkably neat), I just care that it works.

Still, pretty much all the ACS I know how to use has been absorbed in about six months, all for a singular mod that I still haven't completed.

I did work with it before that, but only sparingly, and I had no clue how to work even simple variables. It's amusing how quickly I learned it.

Wrong!!! sloppy code is one of the WORST habits you can have and I cannot even emphasize it strongly enough. If you want to work with others they will need to be able to read your code and if you want to reuse something or work on it at a later time you'll want to be able to read it easily. It doesn't have to be sparkly clean, but at least make it decent enough. A little time now will save you a lot later.

Admittedly, while I am a programmer of 6 years full time, I haven't done six months of ACS (maybe a little on and off). But still, you seem to have a grasp of the library quite well.