Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starkiller

What are some of the most overrated movies you ever watched?

We usually enjoy a lot of movies in different genre's, but sometimes there is that occasion where a specific film has had you think it gets more praise than it deserves. So, Doomguys and Doomgals of Doomworld, what are some of the most overrated movies you have ever seen? 

For me, I would say Schindler's List. Not a bad movie exactly, but the whole premise feels off. I watched it, and expected a horrifying and tearful experience of the Holocaust, but the whole mood is... Strange. It's something so off-putting I can't properly describe it. I did like the use of colors, film elements, and camera shots though. 

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Some Like it Hot

The Tree of Life

Imitation of Life

The Breakfast Club

Beverly Hills Cop

Matilda

Edited by Ajora

14 minutes ago, Ajora said:

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Some Like it Hot

The Tree of Life

Imitation of Life

The Breakfast Club

Beverly Hills Cop

I've seen The Breakfast Club, and I enjoyed it, but I greatly prefer Ferris Bueller's Day Off instead. A good 80's classic for me. 

I've pretty much disliked everything I've seen that's involved John Hughes in some fashion. I find the characters in his movies to be unsympathetic and obnoxious, and his jokes to be painfully unfunny. 

- The Breakfast Club. By far. A bunch of dislikable teens forced to be quiet because it has all the tropes wrapped into one movie.

- Ferris Beuler's Day Off. Teen actors and their monotone voices and dead pan stares mannequin their way through the movie.

- Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back? Now it seems beloved when it was hated for quite a long time due to the fact it just ended without any sort of closure, but hey when you have a trilogy to sell. Maybe its because now there is a trilogy so its less about the second movie delivering so much as the shock of the bad guy's winning. The first Star Wars thing can be argued as one of the most generic stories wrapped up in pretty colors. Return of the Jedi too. Congratulations, you killed the Death Star... again. Well can't they just build another? They built 2 in 3 movies already.

- Tron... yeah I said it. This movie is terrible. It was terrible then and its terrible still. 2 people standing in front of a dark green screen for most of the movie.

- Sharknado? Its like a lot of other Sci-Fi movies that's designed to be bad. Sure I was into the trailer. Watching it was a chore and I'm amazed its the movie that became the breakout hit rather than the weekly monster movie. Maybe Ian Zeering really brought in the crowd. Oddly enough the movies got more watchable... I assume for the cameos.

Edited by geo

Everything John Hughes ever made.

Everything Zack Snyder ever made

Every single Batman movie.

Fight Club.

All the Avengers movies, (the solo affairs are generally justified in like or dislike)

The Force Awakens

Every live action thing Bruce Willis has ever done, but especially Die Hard

Toy Story 3

You all have pretty good opinions. I have some more myself. 

- All Star Wars movies are overrated as hell. For me, I view it as a dumber, cartoonier, less interesting version of Frank Herbert's Dune universe. It always irritates me that people think Star Wars is the pinnacle of Sci-fi works. I prefer watching Harry Potter instead. 

- Almost all Ang Lee movies.

- All of the Jaws sequels. 

- Rambo sequels. Rambo: First Blood has got to be some of my favorite movies, with a message to shocked veterans and police brutality. The sequels throw that out with action and machoism. 

- M. Night Shymalan movies.

- Adam Sandler movies.

- Most superhero movies. 

- Plan 9 from Outer Space. Not the worst movie people make it out to be, I enjoyed the cheesiness of Plan 9. Worst movie has to go to The Garbage Pail Kids or the Fred: The Movie trilogy. 

- Full Metal Jacket. The boot camp half was good, the 2nd half was boring. 

- Independence Day. 

- Frozen. 

- The Jurassic Park sequels. 

That's pretty much what I have. 

33 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

- Full Metal Jacket. The boot camp half was good, the 2nd half was boring.

The boot camp half is so renowned, many people don't even know the movie had a second half that was set in Vietnam.

I'll have to agree with the superhero movies, they're generally alright, but they're getting set up on really high pedestals.

Agreed on Frozen.

I thought 300 was good, but its sequel was a bit of a letdown, really.

Many Adam Sandler movies, though I thought Click was pretty good, if only because of its mood whiplash around the midway point, which made for a surprisingly engaging plot.

44 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Considering how hated they all are, I fail to see how the Jaws sequels and Alien 3 are overrated. 

They do have its fair share of fandom though. Some like to overly gush about them.  I might be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

They do have its fair share of fandom though. Some like to overly gush about them.  I might be wrong.

Generally, I don't trust sequels unless you're talking Terminator 2. Best not to mind them, they usually aren't that good.

1 hour ago, TMD said:

Everything John Hughes ever made.

Everything Zack Snyder ever made

Every single Batman movie.

Fight Club.

All the Avengers movies, (the solo affairs are generally justified in like or dislike)

The Force Awakens

Every live action thing Bruce Willis has ever done, but especially Die Hard

Toy Story 3

Agreed with all of this as it would be my list. Only thing I'd add is maybe Terminator 2 which I never felt lived up to the first film. 

I find Bruce Willis better in non-action roles. His first big start was appearing on Miami Vice as a bad guy and he was really good in his guest starring role. Wish he had done more stuff like that with bad guy roles. 

The Lucky Dragon... this movie is very overrated, and not know by almost everyone at the same time.

Avatar for me looks like paralel to Pocahontas. 

Terminator: Genisys. I saw people who fell asleep on it near my seat.

10 minutes ago, Teder said:

Avatar for me looks like paralel to Pocahontas.

This. I couldn't get into Avatar, it was too boring to me.

Probably because its story was completely nonsensical.

- Most Superhero films. I'd say the only ones that are excellent are The Dark Knight and The Watchmen. Everything else ranges from terrible to good. One other accomplishment that I can commend them for is Infinity War for the sheer scope of the damn thing.

- Star Wars. Mediocre films whose only saving grace are the thematic implications behind The Force. Funnily enough, the interesting topics were explored in the Prequels and The Last Jedi (which are hated beyond belief) and not the Original Trilogy (which are better movies but are merely a Hero's Journey fantasy set in space with nothing unique about it).

- Your Name (Kimi No Na Wa). This one was a rather typical romance anime film with an interesting gimmick.

- A vast majority of Disney animated films. They are certainly competent affairs, but only the ones made in the 90s (and maybe Snow White) are great films.

(- Sherlock. The episodes are feature-length films technically. Excellent, albeit bloated, production value aside, this series is only remotely decent because of how self-centered and contemptible Sherlock Holmes is. Judging it as its own work, it's a thoroughly mediocre crime drama. Judging it as an adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, it's a travesty)

2001 : a space odyssey. Got recommended by many people to watch it. hell the movie feels more like a camera work tutorial\showoff than a movie. And people get really angry hearing most parts of it except the hal sequence felt like a snoozefest, some even begin the good old attention span is too short passive aggressive rants, well yea after 30 minutes of space and 10 mins of a gal walking on a rotating platform it starts the skip to when anything happen mode. 

2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

- All Star Wars movies are overrated as hell.

- Adam Sandler movies.

Same.

Another one would be Avatar for me as well. The movie itself was alright, but at the time I thought (and still do) that it was screaming "LOOK AT MY CGI" at every step, basically the only thing that made the movie stand out.

Still, I kinda feel the need to remind people to avoid confusing overrated with outright terrible.

Edited by Agent6

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

- All Star Wars movies are overrated as hell. For me, I view it as a dumber, cartoonier, less interesting version of Frank Herbert's Dune universe. It always irritates me that people think Star Wars is the pinnacle of Sci-fi works. I prefer watching Harry Potter instead.

I first saw Star Wars back in 1978, in 70mm on a 46ft wide screen with 6 Track Dolby Sound, in a big old art deco cinema whose main screen seated about 1300 people. (That's not a typo by the way, while it was initiately released in 1977, it was still running in cinemas a year later.) It's hard to describe that sort of cinematic experience. I guess the closest modern equivalent would be seeing Gravity at a proper IMAX cinema.

And sure, on the small screen Star Wars isn't particularly special, and the later prequels were disappointing at best. But you got to understand, if Star Wars doesn't break box office records in 77, then Ridley Scott never gets to make Alien or Bladerunner, James Cameron never films Terminator or Aliens, and so on for who knows how many Scifi movies. And the same goes for TV, there simply wouldn't have been a Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek Next Generation, etc.

Quantum of Solace. By far the worst James Bond movie period. Horrible plot, dull villain, shitty shaky cam and overall weird arthouse style of editing which really doesn't fit with James Bond at all.   

19 minutes ago, Urthar said:

I first saw Star Wars back in 1978, in 70mm on a 46ft wide screen with 6 Track Dolby Sound, in a big old art deco cinema whose main screen seated about 1300 people. (That's not a typo by the way, while it was initiately released in 1977, it was still running in cinemas a year later.) It's hard to describe that sort of cinematic experience. I guess the closest modern equivalent would be seeing Gravity at a proper IMAX cinema.

And sure, on the small screen Star Wars isn't particularly special, and the later prequels were disappointing at best. But you got to understand, if Star Wars doesn't break box office records in 77, then Ridley Scott never gets to make Alien or Bladerunner, James Cameron never films Terminator or Aliens, and so on for who knows how many Scifi movies. And the same goes for TV, there simply wouldn't have been a Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek Next Generation, etc.

Well, I can respect Star Wars for popularizing the Sci-fi movie genre, and other great movies as well. But I just think works like Blade Runner and The Fifth Element outclass Star Wars in almost every aspect. 

But hey, that's alright. Different tastes are everywhere in us. 

58 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Same.

Another one would be Avatar for me as well. The movie itself was alright, but at the time I thought (and still do) that it was screaming "LOOK AT MY CGI" at every step, basically the only thing that made the movie stand out.

Still, I kinda feel the need to remind people to avoid confusing overrated with outright terrible.

Overrated is such a stupid word. It just blatantly means, "I'm right, you're wrong". Saying something is terrible because it's overrated is fucking stupid, you know? 

Same with fanboy. I don't like to insult others just because they gush on something they like and can't take criticism.  

6 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

The Fifth Element outclass Star Wars in almost every aspect.

Beg pardon? Even Luc Besson would laugh at such a statement. The Fifth Element is fine, but it's rightfully a second tier cult compared to Star Wars.

6 hours ago, Ajora said:

The Tree of Life 

Like, by the critics? Because I'm pretty sure people hated it. I thought it was too pretentious even for Malick, and I fucking love The Thin Red Line. It made profit, but only after the foreign markets reported in.

For my choice... hmmm, I think 12 Angry Men is quite overhyped.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

2001 : a space odyssey. Got recommended by many people to watch it. hell the movie feels more like a camera work tutorial\showoff than a movie. And people get really angry hearing most parts of it except the hal sequence felt like a snoozefest, some even begin the good old attention span is too short passive aggressive rants, well yea after 30 minutes of space and 10 mins of a gal walking on a rotating platform it starts the skip to when anything happen mode. 

Someone dares to say it. You're my hero!

Probably the most boring thing I ever tried to watch (emphasis on 'tried'.)

Another one I have to mention is "The Big Lebowski". When it was out the reviewers were virtually drooling all over it but it was so weird that I never could connect to anything that happened.

9 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Well, I can respect Star Wars for popularizing the Sci-fi movie genre, and other great movies as well. But I just think works like Blade Runner and The Fifth Element outclass Star Wars in almost every aspect. 

Blade Runner? Actually that one's also high on my list of overrated films.

Regarding Star Wars, I cannot say I'm a big fan of the franchise, but I can respect the original trilogy for its groundbreaking influcence on film making. Surely, looking at those films from a distance shows rather thin and predictable plots, just like most other blockbusters. The prequels were quite bad, though, and my interest for the new films is not really there anymore. By now it just has degenerated into another Disney money-making machine without any soul left, just like Marvel.

3 minutes ago, dew said:

For my choice... hmmm, I think 12 Angry Men is quite overhyped.

12 Angry Men is a English-Language Arts classic. Why is it overhyped?