Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Unreal Gold is currently free on GOG

Cool, I have the original game on cd... there's any source port for playing it on a modern pc?

6 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Cool, I have the original game on cd... there's any source port for playing it on a modern pc?

It's not a game you really need a source port for, but I do recommend playing it with the Oldunreal patch. 

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

I don't believe the source has been or ever will be released due to licensing issues, same with HL1 engine. Which is a big shame really. 

EDIT: Just played the first 3 levels, its has aged reasonably well.

Edited by Liberation

Oh my goodness, I completely forgot about this until you posted this topic. 

Happy 20th anniversary to Unreal Gold, a never-ending adventure that is still a unique experience. It has aged incredibly well. I need to play the campaign again, there still needs exploring on Na Pali. 

3 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Unreal Gold's source code was never released, though I have heard that there are plans to do so in the future.  I don't have the link on me, though.  

Cool to hear that Unreal Gold is free.  When I first joined GOG, I purchased that as part of their intro sale and got it really cheaply at the time.  

I wonder if they'll do this for UT99, 2003, or 2004...  

Just got it on Steam. I haven't started it up yet, but this is going to be the first time I ever played this game.

Edited by GamingMarine : Minor typo.

Just now, GamingMarine said:

Just got it on Steam. I haven't started it up yet, but this is going to be the first time I ever played this ga

The outdoor areas in this game are simply stunning.  Unreal Gold's OST is even better.

I still feel guilty for accidentally killing the first Nali I found in a cabin. And it was even worse when I would let them scout ahead, only for them to be blasted in the face by the enemy...   :|

I also have to boot the game again sometime. It is really fun and beautiful (especially the exploration and those skyboxes are amazing). And the weapon variety is out of this world (I had tons of fun with that shuriken throwing gun or the rocket launcher).

13 minutes ago, GamingMarine said:

Just got it on Steam. I haven't started it up yet, but this is going to be the first time I ever played this game.

Enjoy it! If you're expecting a Doom/Quake style game however you might find it to be too slow, but it does what Half-Life would become more famous for (likely due to the realistic setting) with a world/player-driven narrative in a linear but long journey through an interconnected series of maps. Combat is more focused around the individual encounters with strong monsters more often than hordes of paper-thin enemies.

Just now, Ex Oblivione said:

I have never played any of the Unreal games. Now is a good time!

Same here... but I will now! Thanks for the notice! :-)

39 minutes ago, ShoDemo said:

I still feel guilty for accidentally killing the first Nali I found in a cabin.

What did they say when you hurt them? I remember they said some nonsense word or phrase, but it escapes me now.

I was always impressed with how good the game looked and played in *software mode*. I sure hope they do release the code.

I remember having 2 discs purchased separately. It was the same game, but in the first version I had, there were lots of graphics settings that could be tweaked. But most of that was removed, or made non-functional.

So, what's the difference, and what versions are out there? (OST vs. non-OST? The "old patch"?)

It's been quite some time since GoG gave a game away this time around, however I already have Unreal Gold in the Anthology box but a digital backup copy would help. I already finished the main game for the first time not long ago but I still have the expansion to complete.

Edited by Avoozl

1 hour ago, Ex Oblivione said:

I have never played any of the Unreal games. Now is a good time!

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Same here... but I will now! Thanks for the notice! :-)

You missed out on a lot of fun. Hope you will enjoy Unreal Gold (and the series as a whole) as much as I did.

1 hour ago, kb1 said:

What did they say when you hurt them? I remember they said some nonsense word or phrase, but it escapes me now.

Qupada, IIRC.

A bit more info here.

Edited by Grazza

33 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Sadly, I've paid for it already.

I still have the original and Unreal Gold disks. The best part is that it doesn't need a disk to play the game.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Qupada, IIRC.

A bit more info here.

Oooh, that reminds me:

"Qucodow. QUCODOW!" Isn't that it?

2 hours ago, kb1 said:

I remember having 2 discs purchased separately. It was the same game, but in the first version I had, there were lots of graphics settings that could be tweaked. But most of that was removed, or made non-functional.

Unreal came out before the hardware acceleration market settled on OpenGL and DirectX. You still have quite a few options, even with only those two left.

2 hours ago, kb1 said:

So, what's the difference, and what versions are out there? (OST vs. non-OST? The "old patch"?)

Oldunreal is a site that has maintained the game long after Epic moved on, though they have the developer's blessing. They've been squashing bugs, adding Windows x64 support, and keeping up with hardware standards.

The soundtrack was probably the most amazing thing about the game. Speaking of compatibility, can anyone recommend a tracker that works with Windows 10?

Ahh, no wonder I am starting to see Unreal videos pop up in my feed--it's the anniversary of the game. Makes sense.

I was blown away by this back in the day, yet I still never came anywhere close to finishing it. I need to rectify that.

5 hours ago, kb1 said:

I think they would say something like "OH MA GAWD!!!" with lightning speed.

Also, I like how some of them would hover, while chanting and say gibberish.

The Nali were annoying, and probably the only thing about the game I disliked. I remember one of them decided to permanently meditate right in the centre of a crucial doorway, leaving me no choice but to obliterate him.