Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

On 03/05/2018 at 5:21 AM, Mr.Rocket said:

Hi,

Will Doom Retro ever support network connectivity?

Thanks

Probably not. Doom Retro will likely always remain single player.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:50 PM, bradharding said:

Probably not. Doom Retro will likely always remain single player.

No interest, even for original-like peer-to-peer LAN play?

But there are MP-oriented ports, no need for Doom Retro to play on LAN...

On 5/21/2018 at 11:07 PM, VGA said:

...no need for Doom Retro to play on LAN...

No, no need, but it adds value, and it's not too difficult to re-enable - that's why I ask.

How do I disable the "deep water" thing? It's really off-putting when things get heated up.

4 hours ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

How do I disable the "deep water" thing? It's really off-putting when things get heated up.

If you mean the player's view lowering in water, open the console with the ~ key and type "r_liquid_lowerview off". To stop sprites being submerged in water type "r_liquid_clipsprites off".

Hey Brad,

Just want to say - well done with this port!  

Just downloaded it today - and haven't had a deep look into it yet, but it's bloody brilliant mate.

I note you mention that the "doomretro.wad" fixes some of the Doom 2 iwad's bugs - just wondering if you know about the Icon of Sin texture being out of whack because one of the linedefs is too long?  You can see the issue on the left horn.  Anyway - that's just something that always bugs me so thought I'd share!  :)

Keep up the great work on this excellent port.

And kudos for an excellent site, release notes, etc.  All A-grade mate.

14 hours ago, bradharding said:

If you mean the player's view lowering in water, open the console with the ~ key and type "r_liquid_lowerview off". To stop sprites being submerged in water type "r_liquid_clipsprites off".

Thanks! I was worried I'd have to do this every time I reopened the program, but it keeps itself toggled. Now I can fully emulate the classic experience!

8 hours ago, Agony said:

Hey Brad,

Just want to say - well done with this port!  

Just downloaded it today - and haven't had a deep look into it yet, but it's bloody brilliant mate.

I note you mention that the "doomretro.wad" fixes some of the Doom 2 iwad's bugs - just wondering if you know about the Icon of Sin texture being out of whack because one of the linedefs is too long?  You can see the issue on the left horn.  Anyway - that's just something that always bugs me so thought I'd share!  :)

Keep up the great work on this excellent port.

And kudos for an excellent site, release notes, etc.  All A-grade mate.

Thanks Agony. Glad you're liking it! I do know of the Icon of Sin problem, unfortunately to change a linedef means a node rebuild. The fixes that DR implements are simpler: missing, wrong or misaligned textures, things stuck in walls or each other.

1 hour ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

Thanks! I was worried I'd have to do this every time I reopened the program, but it keeps itself toggled. Now I can fully emulate the classic experience!

No probs. If you want a list of other things you can change, enter "cvarlist" in the console. There's more info in the wiki.

Also, for some reason I disabled fancy blood effects but the green blooded enemies still have them. Do they use a separate CVAR?

5 hours ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

Also, for some reason I disabled fancy blood effects but the green blooded enemies still have them. Do they use a separate CVAR?

What CVAR did you use? To disable the blood splats that appear on the ground, enter "r_bloodsplats_max 0". To disable all blood enter "r_blood none" (or "r_blood red" to make all blood red as in Vanilla DOOM).

Projectiles will now pass through map decorations when the infiniteheight CVAR is off.

This doesn't appear to be working, on or off, torches and light columns and such still block projectiles, and Lost Souls don't stop in front of pickups mid-flight.

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

This doesn't appear to be working, on or off, torches and light columns and such still block projectiles, and Lost Souls don't stop in front of pickups mid-flight.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Are there options that control the speed of the player when using keyboard only? For some reason Doomguy feels heavier in his movement here than he does in other ports, and I do have always run turned on.

9 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Are there options that control the speed of the player when using keyboard only? For some reason Doomguy feels heavier in his movement here than he does in other ports, and I do have always run turned on.

You can enter "turbo 110%" etc. in the console, but this isn't saved. AFAIK the walk/run speeds of the player have not changed at all.

With the detailed player statistics displayed on the console with the playerstats console command, wouldn't it be possible for map statistics (such as ExMy/MAPxy, Kills, Time, etc.) to be dumped onto a text file upon completing a map? Something similar to how the -levelstat parameter from PrBoom+ works.

9 hours ago, GuyNamedErick said:

With the detailed player statistics displayed on the console with the playerstats console command, wouldn't it be possible for map statistics (such as ExMy/MAPxy, Kills, Time, etc.) to be dumped onto a text file upon completing a map? Something similar to how the -levelstat parameter from PrBoom+ works.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. In the meantime you can use the condump console command before quitting to save the contents of the console.

Is there any way for a wad file to override the default additive translucency on projectiles? I'm working on something Boom compatible and use a DeHackEd lump to disable the translucent flag on them, which works in PrBoom-plus -complevel 9, but doesn't in Doom Retro.

To be honest, I don't mind, the additive projectiles actually look good, unlike Boom's default translucency. I'm just curious if it can be done.

28 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Is there any way for a wad file to override the default additive translucency on projectiles? I'm working on something Boom compatible and use a DeHackEd lump to disable the translucent flag on them, which works in PrBoom-plus -complevel 9, but doesn't in Doom Retro.

To be honest, I don't mind, the additive projectiles actually look good, unlike Boom's default translucency. I'm just curious if it can be done.

Yes you can. Use "Retro Bits" in the same way you use "Bits" in a DeHackEd lump. The possible values are here and also refer to info.c. (One of these days I'm going to have to update the Wiki with DEHACKED and MAPINFO lump enhancements.)

Hm, something still seems a bit off about the movement - I can't really figure out what it is. Again, keyboard only just playing between Chocolate Doom and this somehow feels like quite a difference. I'm thinking it might be just a little delayed? When turning or strafing left or right I can feel there is a difference. It seems like Chocolate Doom is more responsive to slight taps on the left/right keys, whereas Doom Retro either takes a very small moment to respond or ignores it altogether. Any thoughts or suggestions what this could be about?

^ Glad I'm not the only one. I really want to love this port, but I just can't control Doomguy the way I want to.

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

Hm, something still seems a bit off about the movement

Nothing has been intentionally changed in regards to movement. Vsync is enabled by default, however, which can introduce some input lag. Try entering vid_vsync off in the console.

On 7/21/2018 at 11:04 PM, bradharding said:

Vsync

I had no idea what that was, but it's made a world of difference.

When I start a game with any pwad and his deh file.
Is there a precise load order with deh file ?
Before or after his wad file ?
Or I just drag and click all the files in no brain mode and doom retro 2.6.9 automatically manage this case ?

6 hours ago, FrenchGuy said:

When I start a game with any pwad and his deh file.
Is there a precise load order with deh file ?
Before or after his wad file ?
Or I just drag and click all the files in no brain mode and doom retro 2.6.9 automatically manage this case ?

Doom Retro will automatically load it afterwards as needed. You can check the load order by opening the console ingame.

26 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Doom Retro will automatically load it afterwards as needed. You can check the load order by opening the console ingame.

It is a very useful feature, you should add this description on your wiki gidhud page.This will avoid the same query from other people.

I feel like in general Doom Retro could use an actual MediaWiki-based Wiki like ZDoom, Eternity, EDGE, etc. all have.