Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zeea

Any good levels with huge open spaces?

As a kid, I only had D!Zone compilations to try out. One of my favorite levels was The Big Open (Doom2, 1995, Mark Riel), which tried to make really enormous outside areas. It didn't exactly work amazingly because Doom monsters aren't Serious Sam monsters, but it was neat.

Are there any more modern attempts at making levels with huge spaces and vistas? I know there's some big levels out there, but they're mostly composed of corridors and tight spaces because that's where Doom shines. I'm talking more about levels with 5120-pixel-wide fields and such.

Hellbound is pretty well known for large spaces. To some extent I think you'll find them in any relatively modern megawad -- Scythe 2, Speed of Doom, Resurgence, Ancient Aliens, Valiant, JPCP, Sunlust (especially map 30), and so on.

One level that comes to mind as making good use of a huge outdoor arena is Nova 2 map 09 by mrthejoshmon. It creates a good sense of trying to navigate a projectile hell and having to carve out a foothold. It looks nice too.

I might drop a mention of the Oku slaughtermap here, but I don't think you wanna play that.

(Am I the only person who actually enjoys savescumming my way through that map?)

Not sure if it's huge but empyrion has more than enough space for smooth movement.

TNT of Final Doom is loaded with levels like that, including Metal, Habitat and Mount Pain which are aggravating with that kind of design. 

Hmm...The Ultimate Doom 2 wad by Gardevoir does convey some big open areas since it's remade completely...you should see...

I think Phobos Anomaly and Hell Keep have an open concept, but there not very complex unlike other levels in Classic Doom. I still think Phobos Anomaly is a great level!

"5till L1 Complex" (cacoward gold) or "Doxylamine Moon: Overdose" and "Lilium" (the sequel of Doxylamine Moon...)

3 big big city maps from mapper Lainos...most beautiful work. Can run only with PrBoom+ for framerate (too lag with Zdoom and Gzdoom). ; )

>> Search the New York city map....a manhattan "reproduction" map.. I have forgotten exact name.

Edit to Not Jabba: Hellbound have some big area : ) and every maps are connected +++

Edited by Kingpin3

1 hour ago, Kingpin3 said:

>> Search the New York city map....a manhattan "reproduction" map.. I have forgotten exact name.

Planisphere 2.

Miasma has cool outdoor areas that deliver lots of "scope". Sunder has large areas with open geometry. Newgothic movement 2 has some nice outdoor areas.  Deus Vult II has cool open outdoor stuff. Valiant has nice outdoor areas as does Ancient Aliens. There's lots of stuff with large open areas in many megawads... just gotta IDCLEV around a bit and see what's there.

Most of my maps are big outdoor levels. Map06 being the most open one.

Hellbound instantly comes to mind, particularly maps 11, 14, 16, and 29.

Also Alien Vendetta map 18 and Doom 2 In Name Only map 9.

felt like responding

Community Chest 4: Maps 20 and 21

Bloody Steel: several maps have large, open areas.  4 and 6 are the first ones that jump to mind.

Whitemare 2: Map 15

13 hours ago, Crusader No Regret said:

Whitemare 2: Map 15

Also Whitemare map15. Pretty atmospheric level.