Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

Sorry to bump this one. How goes the current development status?

Taking a break or so? It's alright, I just wanted to be sure and check on this one.

I recently recovered from a potential hard drive failure so I lost a few days of time to work on things, but as of now I am finishing up the sector colors of the new maps and will then proceed to testing the compiled WAD of 1.5. Release will be a few days or so after that just to make sure I don't screw anything up like last time and forget to make a critical change.

First of all, let me say this port is amazing.

Just a quick question for my own sanity, is the dynamic lighting a feature unique to GZDoom/Retribution? Or did the original Doom 64 have that as well?

The dynamic lights you see in front of things like locked doors, monitors and the like, as well as when you fire weapons are a new addition for extra atmosphere. Original Doom 64 only had the actual map colors for walls and stuff. Dynamic lights can be turned off in the options so I don't need to make it an option since it already exists, for those who don't like the dynamic lights being added. I imagine anyone who likes dynamic lights to begin with won't mind the extra ones so long as they aren't crazy. I tried to keep them relatively subtle.

I don't know if this was addressed here already, but with GZDoom now supporting D64 typed gradient lights. Will they be implemented in future builds?

The plan is to have two versions eventually, but only once all planned maps are done. That way the only maintenance is minor bug fixing and stuff.

One version will be v1.0 up through 1.x or whatever number it happens to reach. This version is for running on GZDoom 2.2.0+ and will not require newer versions that support the gradient lighting. This is mainly for myself more than everyone else, since my PC has problems running later versions of GZDoom smoothly. 2.2.0 is as high as I can go and not hit performance problems. I want there to be a version that everyone can run more or less.

The other version will be 2.0 or whatever comes after the one above. This version will be the exact same as the first above, except every map will have the gradient lighting (or as much as I can accomplish with GZDB). I have still not been told how to change colors via ACS assuming it's even possible yet.

This might sound tedious and it may be, but I don't know what else to do to keep everyone as well as myself happy.

Tried this for the first time today, it plays great! Very faithful rendition of the original game. I like the added introduction with the prologue and the newer difficulties. It's great to see Doom 64 getting love all these years later. 

Hey Nevander!

I really love your awesome mod of Doom 64 and i'm waiting for the Retribution campaign.

I know that you're working hard in those levels and you've already finished the original campaing but could you change the hell skyboxes to the original ones?maxresdefault.jpg83FD7D29-D608-4288-BA65-591F46030863.png.ad123130a09353ca79350db58e5b5665.png

You can already make them look like that if you turn on texture filtering. The only versions of the fire skies that I can find that are pre-filtered are from the old Absolution TC and I'd rather not use those, unless someone can link me to properly made unfiltered D64 fire skies. I'd also rather not have pre-filtered fire sky textures because then you can't have the crisp pixel fires as in the current version.

On 12/4/2016 at 2:02 AM, Nevander said:

Planned for the future:

• All new 9-level episode featuring the cut weapon and maps from alpha and beta screenshots designed to bridge the gap between Doom 64 and DOOM 2016, the "Retribution" episode

Can't wait, man! Might I recommend using the 8 bonus tracks from
Doom 64: Official Soundtrack - 20th Anniversary Extended Edition?

Its on BandCamp for $18, uploaded by Aubrey Hodges himself. However, I can send you the FLAC files if you like.

A complete playthrough of this version of D64 on "Watch Me Die!" with all kills and secrets. Doing Absolution Levels by the time this post was made.

Edited by A_D_M_E_R_A_L

I see you had the same idea as me and loaded Enjay's Waterlab GZD sounds with it.

edit: or I guess it may actually be the sound caulking thing that that was based on.

Edited by SiFi270

Everything is mostly good. Been busy at work, lazy at home, and had to deal with several technical difficulties. I'm still on track though, just very behind. Sorry for the wait, I wanted the next version to be out months ago. Hopefully not too long before I can complete it.

Actually I ran into an issue with the music (was playing muted last night)

The "story so far" seems to be good, but then the levels are just playing random dings and beeps and boops.  I have  the .dll and dmsound files copied to the same directory and I think I have the .ini set up,  what gives?

version 1,4

GZdoom version 3.6

Edited by Antnee

What options are you using in GZDoom? I remember I was using Fluidsynth and went into its options and changed the soundfont from the default to doom64.sf2

I had already copied doom64.sf2 in the soundfonts folder of course. Not sure where I found it.

EDIT: Oh it's in the zip with a similar name, I probably renamed it.

48 minutes ago, VGA said:

What options are you using in GZDoom? I remember I was using Fluidsynth and went into its options and changed the soundfont from the default to doom64.sf2

I had already copied doom64.sf2 in the soundfonts folder of course. Not sure where I found it.

EDIT: Oh it's in the zip with a similar name, I probably renamed it.

I did not rename, just copied it over what was in the directory, per the instructions.

2) Copy or move the following files to your GZDoom port folder:

D64RTR[v1.4a].WAD
         D64RTR_BRIGHTMAPS.PK3
         DOOMSND.SF2

If you are on a version of GZDoom before fluidsynth was
   included by default, also this file:

libfluidsynth.dll (for 32-bit GZDoom)
            - OR (not both) -
         libfluidsynth64.dll (for 64-bit GZDoom)

So I would think that I would not need to fuddle with the menu.  Then, I did this:

3) Open your "gzdoom-NAME.ini" file and press CTRL+F and search
   for keyword "patchset." You will see a cvar setting called
   "fluid_patchset." This will need to read as:

fluid_patchset=DOOMSND.SF2

Or if the SF2 is in a subfolder:

fluid_patchset=subfolder\DOOMSND.SF2

Make this change, then save your INI file. If this is not set,
   the music playback will sound very wrong! Once you have made
   this change, you are done.

So I think I followed all the instructions to a T, and it's not working right.

Go into the GZDoom options -> Sound options -> is the MIDI device set to Fluidsynth?

If yes, go into MIDI player options -> Fluidsynth -> What does it say under "Select configuration"? It should be DOOMSND.SF2

It is...

image.png.bedb9d7fd32fa69785fbb9489949ace5.png

But under Midi device options -> Fluidsynth, I just have "GZDoom" as the only available configuration.

4 minutes ago, VGA said:

Well then you didn't copy the file into the soundfonts folder!

I came here to report that *that* is what needs to happen.  On a whim I copied (and renamed, just to be safe) the Doomsnd.sf2 file into that directory, and now it's a selectable option which fixes the issue.  The .ini thing does not work for me whatsoever, as even though I was able to get the sf2 file to appear as the config option, it did nothing.  So I think the instructions need to be updated, as following them exactly does not work.

You seemed to know that it needed to be in the soundfonts folder, so is that just tribal knowledge or is it in the documentation somewhere?  (fuck, I sound like I'm at work...)

This might be an issue with the newest version of GZdoom?

Well I put the soundfont inside the folder named "soundfonts", I saw there was the default there already. Then I changed it in the options with some digging into each of them. I don't think there's any need for editing the ini directly.

8 minutes ago, VGA said:

Well I put the soundfont inside the folder named "soundfonts", I saw there was the default there already. Then I changed it in the options with some digging into each of them. I don't think there's any need for editing the ini directly.

Right, that's what I figured out too.  And if that's the case with no .ini editing involved... then that's much, much simpler to convey and the instructions should be updated.  In any case, the instructions aren't idiot proof as-is.

You can try the version with an external music pack OGG:

Doom 64: Retribution - OGG Music Pack (v1.3+)

He has the best quality of music in comparison with the internal midi. It does not require ini-file correction and is independent of the current version GZDoom. You just need to make a bat-file and run the game.

@echo off
start gzdoom.exe -file D64RTR[v1.4a].WAD D64MUS.PK3

Good luck!

Because I can't help myself, I modded the wad a bit and split the Unmaker Ammo from the regular plasma ammo, and made an animated (the red part pulses like a heartbeat) sprite for it too.  Not quite done with it- I think I'll add skin bits to the sides as well.  And of course it needs a bigger version... but maybe this one will be the "big" version.  Who knows.

image.png.0ed6e2c198d5761b6591f105427256a3.png

That is weird that it would need to be in a specific folder. There must have been some undocumented change to SF2 detection. I use a much older version of GZDoom where it doesn't care where the SF2 is.

I will try to figure out what is going on and make two sets of instructions depending on what your version is. This is why I hate change.

The MIDIs should actually be higher quality, not the OGGs. Since the MIDIs are direct from the game files and not recordings.

output_lu0a9t.gif.bdc3ea4dd61be6df29d20fb1111d0bdf.gif

The big ammo pulses like the little one but for whatever reason the screencap didn't capture that.

Mind posting the sprite sheet of both? I may use them in some fashion for myself or as another cell pickup or something.