Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

How to make Earth interesting in a Doom sequel.

How to make Earth interesting in a Doom sequel.  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sequel to Doom 2016 take place on Earth?

• Should the game take place entirely on Earth?
    • Should only part of it take place on Earth?
    • Should it not take place on Earth at all?

Oh dang, that sounds like pain to use I'm impressed :), I haven't mapped for SnapMap for like 7 months and I could be wrong but are there no Grid Snapping and Grid Size options? most modern editors use these to make it easier to place props and Move them around the map with ease.

19 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

I've always thought the blocking modules from Snapmap were kind of like a primitive form of brushes.

I think that was sort of the point?

I still think Snapmap would have been worlds better if they actually had focused it around building low-fidelity brushes to make classic Doom style maps. If they keep it around in the sequel hopefully it goes more in that direction.

Problem is the physics and AI work very bad with block volumes in snapmap. Sure we can build cool maps, but we haven't got free like in doombuilder or doom 3 editor. In snapmap everywhere are limits - you put two rooms with 12 monsters, and if the player go to first room, monsters appear and if player run back to the second room there will be no monsters. You must use tricks to catch player in one room at once, or you got big mess on the map.

I'd like to see prefabs room in next doom, it would be also cool to use normal brush and grid like in doom 3. New doom could look a bit similar to rage city map, but I'd like to see classic stuff here and there like gargoyles faces. It shoudn't be cyberpunk cities like in deus ex or new shadow warrior 2. It could be like downtown, old, grungy citie haunted by forces of hell.

For example this isn't bad:

doom4_concept.jpg.4b3a1498991fef38f006c027b1a3715f.jpg

It reminds me hellish version of crysis 2 city style map.

But I'd like to see something better than rage/wolfenstein/crysis/half life2 style city map.

Like Doom 2 the citadel, the suburbs, the downtown, etc. Haunted places, where you think there is a normal city, and suddenly - bang - you see hell abstraction crawling on the walls, or just gargoyle face where in normal world it shouldn't be there.

Edited by Teder

As long as they continioun story as briliant as they will then im happy...Earth is hard i think.But we absolutely still need the odd realms of hell.

I actually played Doom 2016 becouse of the story...absolutely primary for that.

@Linguica

That's actually what I hope too: Brushes with at least 200 textures to choose from, plus 3D models from the campaign, plus modular pieces like in Skyrim and the Dark Mod.

@Teder

But that's exactly the kind of boring stuff I want them to avoid. I mean that shot was clearly made by someone talented but it's completely generic. Now I do think there should be ONE, maybe two levels set in such places but there are so many other more interesting places to choose from.

@DooM_RO exactly - generic - that is the word I though. I hope we won't see as I said rage/wolfenstein/crysis/half life2 style city map. In the worst case I can take map like this:

maxresdefault.jpg.77f52669831c16fcced45e2351342674.jpg

Conception of tower in the distance reminds me this:

631c593a31e264adefea0f655e19196b.jpg.4069a770b38c50d4fac34fac6ebbabe6.jpg

For example below image is a pure Rage engine city looks like mix of HL2/rage.

doom-4-beta-000075-1024x576.jpg.3307f4ce30d36e8d26a8d9a5cd397a23.jpg

It's not Doom I'd like to see :)

Perhaps something a la this:

The Doom Slayer is woken up in what turns out to be an arctic base a la VEGA Central Processing (I kinda like that theme, but concede that it would get boring if used too much).

You end up crossing over the Arctic Landscape to get to a second facility (preferably still within the first level) that houses a teleporter that will take you to a UAC facility overlooking a sprawling cityscape (should have a nice panoramic view of it somewhere).

You make your way from the UAC facility to the old part of town (reference the 'Downtown' map from Doom 2), which is futuristic, but kinda run-down (a bit like the industrial facilities in Doom '16), with some old-timey brick buildings sprinkled in (has patchwork future-tech stuff worked into them to keep them "modern").

Somewhere deep in old-town (the bad part of town) is a dimensional Hell pocket that you slip into to go to your first Hell level in this game. You fight your way through this Hell level until you encounter another space-time-whaterverthefuck-dimension pocket that regurgitates you back to Earth, where you're still in the grittier part of the city, but on the outskirts of the "nice part of town", which is where you go next.

"Nice part of town" would be comparable to the ARC and the Lazarus Labs levels in Doom'16 in that they're pristine, fancy, futuristic, filled with luxury, but you're also arriving at a time when Hell's reality is truly starting to make its presence known; plenty of gore and "Hell growth" to juxtapose against the shiny future city.

At some point you board an automated flying transport "train/taxi/bus" that takes you on an aerial trip to a Starport of sorts, which may or may not house a teleporter that' supposed to beam you to an orbital Star Port (where the truly giant space craft are launched), but it fucks up (Demonic tampering) and sends you on another trip to Hell instead, where you must fuck up Hell's shit that caused the teleporter tampering before you can go back to the rift that interfered with your teleportation jump and complete the jump to high orbit over Earth (nice view of the Earth from outer space).

You conclude whatever business with the orbital space port, get back to Earth somehow (teleporter or perhaps a drop pod a la Quake 2's opening cinematic if they can make it so it's cool), wind up in some sort of wilderness (forrest or wasteland, preferably forrest as I've seen countless wastelands and Hell tends to have that too), which leads you to a final UAC facility type place where you facilitate a final jump to Hell where you face the Big Bad.

----

Of course a lot of these ideas need work and I've no real clue as to storyline, story cohesion and such, but it should hopefully give sort of an idea of a possible sequence of varying locations that could make the game into an interesting journey.

@dsm

The pacing is a bit off but I essentially like that! I'd really like to see more snow in Doom.

13 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Exactly, it's boring.

I don't understand why you're going so hard against cities. Did you play some 'teh modern military shooter' that was set in a city and now you assume it can't be anything but boring and generic? Especially looking at your earlier suggestions: UAC HQ, arctic base, catacombs. Wow. Sooo original and totally not generic. You say want something interesting and yet you're suggesting snow which makes everything look boring. I don't think I'm following what exactly counts as interesting to you.

I would love to see Blade Runner/Total Recall architecture as a city setting. Not for the whole game of course. Maybe start the game on Phobos, make your way to Earth and arrive at some top secret UAC facility, the fight spills out into the wilderness etc. Have areas become consumed by the presence of Hell, twisting the landscape in where eldritch horrors stalk. And the closer you get to the hell portal the more mutated the land becomes until the moment you make your back to hell to stop the invasion. Just some thoughts.

I get cities don't sound original but if you have a futuristic ruined city it could leave room for great creativity and gameplay. Think about modern Doom's vertical map designs but in urban locations where you can hop through openings of buildings and climb broken debries with segments inside and out of buildings.

So streets, indoors, stadiums, parks, monuments, docks etc. There is much epic fun to be had dodging enemy fire and chasing imps. I bet some awesome arenas can be designed with cities.

@Touchdown I like "cities" games, but I wont to see next Wolfenstein 2/Crysis 2, 3/HL2 in Doom Hell on Earth. If it will be with clearly doom accents - sure. For example Killing Floor 2 Burning Paris is a great looking city map, not as generic as HL2, Crysis or Siege of Shanghai (my fav map for big battles in BF4).

In simplest words: everything could be done but I must feel doom mood, it could be standard Pearl Market map from BF4 but with tons of doom stuff - gargoyles, cult signs, red flesh, hell trees (big tree), floating boxes with hellknight face, etc.

Hell on Earth are not only cities maps, but factories, depot stations, downtowns, subways, like in Stalker for example.

EDIT: Battlefield 4 Zavod - great factory map, or BF3 close quarters map where you got abadoned factory, offices and some kind of mansion are great too.

On 5/28/2018 at 1:33 AM, Ex Oblivione said:

I would love to see Blade Runner/Total Recall architecture as a city setting. Not for the whole game of course. Maybe start the game on Phobos, make your way to Earth and arrive at some top secret UAC facility, the fight spills out into the wilderness etc. Have areas become consumed by the presence of Hell, twisting the landscape in where eldritch horrors stalk. And the closer you get to the hell portal the more mutated the land becomes until the moment you make your back to hell to stop the invasion. Just some thoughts.

On 5/28/2018 at 8:27 AM, Chezza said:

I get cities don't sound original but if you have a futuristic ruined city it could leave room for great creativity and gameplay. Think about modern Doom's vertical map designs but in urban locations where you can hop through openings of buildings and climb broken debries with segments inside and out of buildings.

So streets, indoors, stadiums, parks, monuments, docks etc. There is much epic fun to be had dodging enemy fire and chasing imps. I bet some awesome arenas can be designed with cities.

^ I second these.

Sounds very much like the Battle for Los Angeles episode of the Brutal Doom Hell on Earth campaign, which was, in my opinion, the strongest episode of the three (though I never completed it. I played up to MAP22 or 23 using Complex Doom and it was a lot of fun), and it was almost entirely urban in a way that made sense, but was still interesting in execution.

I think that could work for a hypothetical Doom 5.

Brutal Doom's Starter Pack was a very good Doom campaign, no matter what you think of Brutal Doom itself. I would LOVE to see a new Doom game follow a similar structure.