Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stonewall_Jackson

How do you think a modern Hexen/Heretic remake would go?

Does anyone still like Hexen? Anyone? Bueller?

We have DOOM, we have Wolfenstein, but did you guys forget about Hexen and Heretic? I love those games, it's a far shot but I think reviving it would be cool.

How about a Chex Quest revival while we're at it?

I imagine new Hexen/Heretic game like this:

14786252370_8f7b683373_b.jpg.ae13ed33ad9eb8ecc63fe3b5d41bbb02.jpg2705368-hdpvr2_20141024_215178.jpg.725ce51a9716db6be9deea3c354f2235.jpgue4-fire-dude-external-citadel.jpg.f0c467ec82a0c42df7d00a2d303519db.jpg

14011157654_8f8d5ee495_o.jpg.608bbad2e721b398de4b8fb8dd9aca7d.jpg63053079_maxresdefault(1).jpg.99bf9a8e6cd9f1b89888a091a0a62691.jpg

It could be FPS or TPS.

I think a lot of people neglect that Heretic was actually quite bright. 

3d accelerated source ports display the game with a little bit of a washed out look. 

Edited by Vermil

The game companies again can screw up another title, overloading it with lot of paid DLC and make game multiplayer-oriented. Also behind cool graphics and physics they can hide boring gameplay and story.

7 hours ago, Teder said:

I imagine new Hexen/Heretic game like this:

14786252370_8f7b683373_b.jpg.ae13ed33ad9eb8ecc63fe3b5d41bbb02.jpg2705368-hdpvr2_20141024_215178.jpg.725ce51a9716db6be9deea3c354f2235.jpgue4-fire-dude-external-citadel.jpg.f0c467ec82a0c42df7d00a2d303519db.jpg

14011157654_8f8d5ee495_o.jpg.608bbad2e721b398de4b8fb8dd9aca7d.jpg63053079_maxresdefault(1).jpg.99bf9a8e6cd9f1b89888a091a0a62691.jpg

It could be FPS or TPS.

That looks pretty sweet. Is that concept stuff or actual in-game footage someone made?

4 hours ago, Vermil said:

I think a lot of people neglect that Heretic was actually quite bright. 

3d accelerated source ports display the game with a little bit of a washed out look. 

I found the graphics were just fine. It wasn't that bright for me.

3 hours ago, riderr3 said:

The game companies again can screw up another title, overloading it with lot of paid DLC and make game multiplayer-oriented. Also behind cool graphics and physics they can hide boring gameplay and story.

I thought they did a good job with Wolfenstein. Doom 2016 was also a pretty fun play, but I can't say much about it since I just rented it for a couple of days.

A new Hexen would be cool if it would be an FPS combined with some RPG elements. Definitely not a Third-Person game, there are already good dark fantasy Third-Person games.

There is Ziggurat, which is kind of inspired by Heretic, but it is Arcade-like and a bit cartoony.

Badly. 

>djent soundtrack

>super br00tal glory kills

>linear except for one token area per map to give the illusion of open

>three classes condensed into one

>alternate fire modes

>upgrades

It would ape Doom 2016 but in all the wrong ways. 

Leave them untouched. Doom can be touched but with these two titles, something would go wrong as Mr. Freeze said.

Better enjoy them in their original form.

Hexen vs Capcom?  

All joking aside, I think it would be along the lines of the images Teder posted.  

Depends on which one of them was remade. Hexen and Heretic were quite different in a few significant ways, so a remake of either would carry different expectations, at least from those who were familiar with the original games.

18 hours ago, Stonewall_Jackson said:

How about a Chex Quest revival while we're at it?

So they already have a Hexen remake in the works. It's called Hellraid...

As for a Heretic remake It would be best to be able to switch between first and third person modes. As for remakes these days we would need the right developer and publisher to pull it off. Not just anyone can remake a game and it have the same charm as the original.

Hellraid looks more like a modern Witchaven to me?

Fantasy doesn't automatically make it a Heretic or HeXen remake.

1 minute ago, Vermil said:

Hellraid looks more like a modern Witchaven to me?

That was actually meant as a joke. Hellraid looks more like Hexen than Amid Evil though.

That footage is from E3 2013. 'Hellraid' has been on hold as of May 2015, so that Techland could work on the 'Dying Light' series. At this point, I would be surprised if they went back to it, and even if they did, I'd be further surprised if they continued development of the current build of the game. It tends to be difficult to pick up a several year-old game and continue building where you left off, for a number of reasons.

A reboot of either could be awesome (assuming it was done right like the new Doom), but considering that Raven's been pumping out nothing but CoD for the last decade, it doesn't seem likely.

I would love to see a hexen style game with co-op built in

56 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

A reboot of either could be awesome (assuming it was done right like the new Doom), but considering that Raven's been pumping out nothing but CoD for the last decade, it doesn't seem likely.

raven used to make some of my all time favorite games, now they pump out assets and menus for cod? it also appears that they sold the SOF IP

A Heretic remake's well needed IMO. While Hexen's a good game as well, Heretic's theme would make for a much more action packed experience. I just hope they do it in a similar fashion to DOOM 2016, rather than turn it into another medieval RPG game.

3 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

The Hexen/Heretic IP is owned by Activision. Assuming they thought a reboot was a good idea, they wouldn't necessarily delegate the task to Raven.

@Caffeine Freak Yeah, and unless they can think of a way to milk the IP in a fashion that is deemed profitable, like Hexen Battle Royale with millions of micro transactions, it will not be made.

It would have to be dark fantasy. Not as over the top as Warhammer but in the 90s Heavy Metal and D&D manner. It would also need a depressing soundtrack.

A Doom 2016 spinoff set in medieval times could work. I see a young Doom Slayer casting spells, using medieval weapons, maybe even a couple of primitive guns like blunderbusses and so forth.

16 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

@Caffeine Freak Yeah, and unless they can think of a way to milk the IP in a fashion that is deemed profitable, like Hexen Battle Royale with millions of micro transactions, it will not be made.

I don't know about you but I'd play the hell out of Hexen Battle Royale. Could do w/o the microtransactions though.

3 hours ago, Stonewall_Jackson said:

I don't know about you but I'd play the hell out of Hexen Battle Royale. Could do w/o the microtransactions though.

No.

Although I greatly liked Heretic 2, I’m not sure  Heretic 3 would really fly, especially with a third-person perspective.

I thoroughly liked both HeXen and HeXen 2, and I would welcome HeXen 3. HeXen, in my mind, was a giant leap from the FPS games that preceded it (including DooM). I found it to be immersive & challenging (the switch hunts, notwithstanding). HeXen 2 was more of the same, but with “true” 3D environments. Having the multiple player modes, puzzles, and hub structures, but with modern graphics would be awesome.