Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty

Nova III - now on /idgames

I've played map 16 (untitled) by @dt_ . Strong AV vibe from this map, I liked both visuals and layout of this level (really give the sense of an ancient temple). Initial combats are a bit slow, cause no SSG is given and some mid-tiers have to put down with the sg only. An early SSG and, perhaps, a bit more opposition on the beginning stages would benefit this map, imo.       

I really liked the encounter with the cybers at the two keys switches circular room, fun fight and the highlight of the level for me.

I finally had time to continue tinkering with my map, hopefully it's closer to the desired E3 difficulty now. I also changed around some textures to make the map more visually appealing, and I think it looks much nicer now. A pretty major visplane error presented itself that I've worked to correct, so please let me know if you come across any major slime trails anywhere.

Map info again:

Spoiler

Author: Skeletonpatch
Map name: Platform Base

Version: V4

Difficulty: Balanced for Easy, Medium and Hard. Meant to be an early episode 3 map, so I tried to reflect that in the difficulty.

Suggested map slot: Currently occupies MAP25, I'd prefer an earlier slot than that if possible

Compatibility: Boom
Playtesting: PRBoom+ 2.5.1.4, GZDoom 1-5-03
Skill settings: Yes

Estimated playtime: 20~30 if you're not taking your time

Build time: Five months, on and off
Tools used: GZDoom Builder R2787
Resources: Nova 3 resource pack
Music track: Currently the default Doom II MAP25 MIDI, it seems to fit the map well enough. If you can find something more appropriate, go ahead.

[Download link removed]

Let me know if I've actually managed to improve the map's difficulty, or if it still needs more work.

If anyone has any midi files they think would work well with this map, feel free to PM me with your suggestions.

Quick screenshots:

Spoiler

The New and ImprovedTM exterior of the base. I used several of @antares031's amazing textures that have since been added to the resource pack. To the right you can see a large lighting pylon, I've added four to the outside and they can be seen from the roof to make the map feel more connected.

5ad3cc978f1aa_PlatformBaseexteriorimproved.png.cbb6889b033f5da49b6de012817d6805.png

This is the major visplane error I came across, I think I fixed it but please let me know if I actually haven't. This area always had some small 1-pixel wide slime trails that I never considered to be noticeable enough to warrant any extreme action, but I can't let one this big slip past!

5ad3cc9a89bcc_PlatformBasevisplaneerror.png.40601f136ffbb8866775b4139ec7126e.png

Edited by Skeletonpatch

@Skeletonpatch I have played your map on skill 4. I think this map can be a breather episode 3 level like you intentended. I overall liked the visuals and the sense of a lunar tech-bases invaded by hell is given.

Gameplay-wise is not exactly my cup of tea, particularly the beginning stages feelt a bit like a doom 1 gameplay in cramped areas which I'm not really fond of;  however I think you intentionally build the progression like that so I guess it works.

I liked two fights: the first to the last and the last fight itself where I don't understand the presence of the BFG if you can't grab it easly.

Anyway for me this map, like I said, work as a breather e3 map

Sup. I haven't forgotten about this project at all, but have been preoccupied with other projects for a while. I have the impression that no one is really working on anything for this so if you are, please do post and let me know! Otherwise, i'll seek out some new participants myself. I think at this point i want to get the full 32 maps together before commencing thorough feedback posts/videos of everything (streaming is off the table for me at the moment, thanks to an archaic net connection). Regardless, i have played every single map submitted (more than once), so please don't think that all the hard work so far has been for nothing. @an_mutt has made some noises about doing a playtesting stream himself at some point too, and if/when that happens i'm sure he'll post about it.

Meanwhile, i finally got an E2 map complete a while ago and having ironed out some kinks, i think it's good to go public finally (this map has been complete for a long time now!). UV only at the moment. Plays map12. I hope you like it.

ga2RHMt.jpg

Download

I haven't worked on my map in several months honestly lol. And for most of this month I have been trying to work on a map for mayhem purple. In June I could probably work on it though at the same time I did want to take a little diversion into quake 1 mapping and I don't have the time to do both ;_;

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

Sup. I haven't forgotten about this project at all, but have been preoccupied with other projects for a while. I have the impression that no one is really working on anything for this so if you are, please do post and let me know! Otherwise, i'll seek out some new participants myself. I think at this point i want to get the full 32 maps together before commencing thorough feedback posts/videos of everything (streaming is off the table for me at the moment, thanks to an archaic net connection). Regardless, i have played every single map submitted (more than once), so please don't think that all the hard work so far has been for nothing. @an_mutt has made some noises about doing a playtesting stream himself at some point too, and if/when that happens i'm sure he'll post about it.

Meanwhile, i finally got an E2 map complete a while ago and having ironed out some kinks, i think it's good to go public finally (this map has been complete for a long time now!). UV only at the moment. Plays map12. I hope you like it.

ga2RHMt.jpg

Download

What textures are needed to load this map? I loaded this map with n3txv1.2.wad but there are HOM and some missing textures.

51 minutes ago, lirui1001 said:

What textures are needed to load this map? I loaded this map with n3txv1.2.wad but there are HOM and some missing textures.

Works with n3txv1.4.wad for me (linked in the second post of the thread).

Tried to do a FDA last night but I was just too beat, looking good though Scotty! Gonna give a proper try today I think.

Any chance i could contribute with a map for episode 3? i've recently finished a map for another project recently so i have some free time to work on something this coming month

bob_ritual.zip

Here's a series of increasingly sloppy attempts at @Scotty's new map. DNF yet but I feel like I'm getting close lol :) Playthroughs of any kind are always helpful to me, so I'm sending this along.

It's good stuff, looks great and the encounters are fun, varied, and lethal. I think I died at least once to each of the major fights, but none of them are too bad once you know what you're getting yourself into. I *really* like some of the freedom you give players to string encounters together in different orders (e.g. when you want to get the soulsphere, backpack). The computer map fight itself is cool but seems pretty hardcore for the reward, especially compared against the pretty gentle soulsphere fight. Wonder what it would be like to switch the items there, though I dig how the computer map/soulsphere each fit aesthetically in each space. Maybe throw in some cells in the comp map area to sweeten the reward? I feel like getting a bit more use out of the secret PR would be fun.

It may be worthwhile to post an updated list of submissions, complete with those that are confirmed complete, those that are WIP, etc. That would also provide a list of which maps were needed, so new mappers (the target audience for the CP) would know if there were slots available.

For some reason it seemed to me that the project had already been completed ... Well, if it is not so, I would like to ask if I can take part?

I had planned to join for a long time, but before that I wanted to get acquainted with previous parts in order to have an idea of the required quality of maps. Unfortunately, I did not find time for this.

It would be great if there is an empty slot in the lunar episode.

I'm also interested in the deadline. Just at the moment, I'm very busy IRL. The real work will start only after a few months. Just want to jump into the departing train (if it's still possible).

I was also interested in this project, since it was directed at new mappers. At the time, it seemed as though the mapset was full. If there are spots being reconsidered, I would like to join. That was one reason for my post regarding an updated list of submissions (as well as to let everyone know where the project stood).

I'd also like to contribute to the Meggido III map, if I can do that without having submitted a map to the main project.

Ok, having thought about this all morning i think we'll set a deadline for the end of October for map submissions - that is 5 months away - if we don't make 32 maps, fuck it.

There are definitely still a couple of spots in the Hell and Lunar episodes - let me update the Alpha map pack first so i can see where we're at.

Megiddo contributors are very welcome, we have one complete area made by Paul, and i have done some work on a hub, but that's about all the progress so far.

I've created a Nova Discord cause i think that will make managing this a bit easier... anyone is free to join regardless of project involvement.

23 hours ago, Quantum Dranger said:

I sent MAP30 to @Obsidian as he was at the time still working on the final bosses. I don’t know if he is still working on the project though.

Could you post it here please, i would like to see what sort of progress has been made. I'll talk to Obsidian but i know he'll be busy with Mayhem for a while.

On 5/29/2018 at 8:39 AM, therektafire said:

I haven't worked on my map in several months honestly lol. And for most of this month I have been trying to work on a map for mayhem purple. In June I could probably work on it though at the same time I did want to take a little diversion into quake 1 mapping and I don't have the time to do both ;_;

Please decide one way or another, so i know how many slots i can offer to people in E1. It doesn't matter if you'd rather work on a different project :)

On 5/29/2018 at 2:04 AM, Scotty said:

ga2RHMt.jpg

Great map, one of the highlight of the set imo. Managed, after quite some deaths, to complete it, finding all the secret fights: I basically liked all of them aswell as the non-secret ones. Very nice visuals and architectures aswell, gj!

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Could you post it here please, i would like to see what sort of progress has been made. I'll talk to Obsidian but i know he'll be busy with Mayhem for a while.

Please decide one way or another, so i know how many slots i can offer to people in E1. It doesn't matter if you'd rather work on a different project :)

Well I kind of have to at the moment, people want the hub map to 4800 hell knights and I have put it off for a really long time and I shouldn't have :( Luckily it is mostly done already, after I complete it i'll see what i'll do.

Updated alpha map pack in the 2nd post.

Maps removed:

"Woodcraft" - was released separately

"Generator Alpha" - rejected due to quality (map is basically just two square rooms and that's all, which seems incredibly low effort for this project)

As it stands, there are two map openings in both E1 and E3, as well as map32. However i would like to suggest to @Albertoni that The Ship that Wore a Mask would make a good map32 due to the somewhat experimental nature and mixture of themes present. This would give @DMPhobos and @StormCatcher.77 potential spaces in E3. This is alongside rektafire's and Dranger's WIP maps.

If this works for people, then as it stands there is one final map slot available, in Episode 1.

Done deal!

Remember October 31st is the mapping deadline now folks!

On 5/30/2018 at 6:49 AM, Scotty said:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g967df9f3dzbz13/Nova3.wad

MAP30 Rough Draft: hellstorm archons would replace the keens, archon of hell would replace the boss brain and there is also a crusher system (for killing the cyberdemons) which needs to be completed or be replaced with some other kind of hazard (infighting or telefragging).

I'll try and make a second map for episode 1 if it is ok I have some ideas I want to try out.

e to slow.

Edited by NeedHealth

@Scotty

I came back here to remind myself of the deadline and I noticed that the 2nd post lists an opening in E1 (which was claimed by Nuclear Potato), while the 1st post implies that everything is set.

You may want to consider clearing up the potential confusion, even if no one actually is confused.

On 5/30/2018 at 6:30 PM, Scotty said:

However i would like to suggest to @Albertoni that The Ship that Wore a Mask would make a good map32 due to the somewhat experimental nature and mixture of themes present.

[20000 years later]

I don't quite mind. It's one of those "I would mind, but you have a strong point" things. Do what you think it's best.

Hell, give me a week and I could even add a secret exit to it, if you think it'd be better as MAP31.

Here's my submission, it uses the map29 slot for testing purposes

Author: DMPhobos
Map name: Lunar Comms Station

Version: Beta

Difficulty: UV only

Suggested map slot: Possibly an early E3 slot?

Compatibility: Boom
Playtesting: Tested exclusively on PrBoom+
Skill settings: No

Estimated playtime: About 12 to 16 minutes

Build time: One Month
Tools used: GZDoom Builder
Resources: Nova 3 resource pack
Music track: Kitchen Ace, i would prefer using a non stock midi, but i can't think of any, so for the moment e1m4 fits well

Map is more or less non linear on it's weapon progression, i didn't used any key locks so i hope navigation isn't cofusing. Here's a couple of screenshots

Spoiler

am41Vc6.png

kyLKPgB.png

Map stats 

Spoiler

4x9XmPM.png

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

lunar comms station.zip

4 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

Here's an FDA on HMP: bob_lunarcomms.zip. One pretty amusing death.

I dig it, definitely has an early episode feel. The non-linearity is cool and gives it a certain "base"-ness, although it starts getting a tad sloggy if you get deep into the map without having found the SSG (had a little of this in my second playthrough, but I knew from my first play that the SSG was somewhere close so it wasn't a big deal). The environment is pretty uniform visually, and combined with the non-linearity that makes navigation challenging at points. But I never felt frustrated, and I like having to use automap from time to time to scout out unexplored areas. Combat was fun and breezy on HMP, and the finale was the only real heart-pounding moment--seems about right for an early E3 on skill 3. Also really liked the parkour-y zerk secret.

Found a couple of minor visual things, which you'll see in the FDA. The major one was a bleeding flat right outside the finale area.

@DMPhobos, great stuff. I like the variety in room shapes and the inter-connectivity throughout - makes using the automap very easy, which, as Big Ol Billy mentioned is very valuable in this map. I think the texturing indoors is fine but you might want to add a splash of colour to the outdoor areas, all 3 of them are monotone grey and theres lots of colourful textures in that pack! Also I think the progression can be a bit confusing - its hard to tell how far into the map you are if that makes sense, a couple keys and locked doors could help with that. In terms of difficulty I found it quite leisurely, I don't remember taking heavy damage anywhere except the final trap so yeah this would suit an early episode position very well.

13 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

Here's my submission, it uses the map29 slot for testing purposes

Nice job, a very modern feeling map with a dash of KDitD vibes. I remembered to record an FDA for once here, sorry to others that i haven't done this for each map. The layout is great, nice shapes and progression is generally fine, the map is small enough that getting lost doesn't last for long. Combat wise it is perhaps a bit one-dimensional for the majority of things, although i thought the last fight was cool and a good finishing note. Removing all unnecessary doors would be a smart move here, it would give the double benefit of making the map more free flowing while also making the incidental combat far more dynamic as it promotes monsters attacking from more angles.

I would also recommend working on the lighting, use some high contrast areas and lighting effect sectors to make things pop in places. The muted colour scheme is fine with me as an aesthetic personally, but higher contrast lighting would really help this map shine. I would probably use a more modern midi on this style of map myself, too - several BTSX E1 midis would work great on this map for example. But it's ultimately up to you.

I started playing through the Alpha map set yesterday to get a feel for things before making a start on my Megiddo section. I'm really liking the maps so far. I'll give DMPhobos's map a try later and give my 2 pennies. 

I've made a good start on my Megiddo section this morning. It'll be great to at least contribute something after my hiatus :).

EDIT:

I've finished playing through DM's Lunar Comms Station; these are my thoughts. As Scotty mentions above I really enjoyed the layout of the map. At the beginning it feels like old school DooM I, in terms of game play, but the setting is new and refreshing. It is somewhat of a turkey shoot throughout the majority of the level, though again as Scotty mentions getting rid of any needless doors will help with the flow. 

As an example from my play through, I felt more monsters should teleport in after you pick up the plasma gun. Its a good way to introduce new monsters because the player has a new shiny weapon to use. Perhaps add a few more monsters that attack from different directions to keep the player on their toes.

I enjoyed the final exit area. I didn't expect a lift in that section, so it was a pleasant surprise. Its a really solid finish to the level, and I also like how you added a lift back out of the pit so you can re-explore the level if needed.

This is super minor, but I also noticed (in the exit area lift) two small health packs get left behind when the lift lowers, so they appear to slightly float. I've added a screenshot so you know what I mean. A slight reposition should prevent that.

All in all I enjoyed the map. With a few tweaks here and there it'll be even better! Keep up the good work :). 

Screenshot_Doom_20180715_170044.png

Edited by Relinquished : Added comments for DMPhobos's level.