Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
avyon7

Wanted to share my Entry for the Doom 2 Hellectric Boogaloo Map Contest

this wad is currently not available online, as i am waiting for the end of the contest. But I wanted to share the video I made for it! the level itself is about 30 minutes, and at the end i take about 15 minutes to talk about the design and take you around the Wad in Doom Builder 2. Rip and Tear!

EDIT: nevermind. theres a download link in the description of the video. if im showing it now, might as well make it available to play.

EDIT2: can anyone help me upload this to the database. i couldnt get filezilla to transfer the file, and im not in the position to change router settings. I tried setting the connections to 1, turning off my firewalls but to no avail. I would greatly appreciate it and I will include you in the txt file! until then ill just attach it to this post!

doomlord.png

doomlord.zip

Edited by avyon7

Downloaded and had a go. Didn't watch Joels stream of it yet.

Man is this map creative. Creative idea, nice aesthetics, awesome story. I really am having a hard time to fault the map apart from one small thing. Autosaves. The map is fairly cinematic. Lots of text and camera use, its just not something you want to do over and over again because its unskipable as fair as I know. I got to the Icon of Sin section and died which really sucked because I wanted to see the end but now I have to play all the way through again! I'm not one to quick save so I guess its partly my fault but like, I feel the fun in this map isn't the challenge so to speak, its the story. Sure the map is challenging and engaging and enemy placement is great but the main appeal for me was the story. I just didn't want to do it over again just to see the end (I assume it was the end). Just my two cents, take it as you will. Awesome map, surprised nobody has commented before me, keep it up champ!

EDIT: And the midis! My god the midis, bliss. I assume you made them?

thank you for your feedback! and i totally understand what you mean about the autosaves. i took for granted that people would quicksave, because that's how i've always played games my whole life. Baldur's Gate and Skyrim/Oblivion are great examples. But I didn't even think of this while making the Wad.

And I think you are right about where the fun is. The story took priority over the rest of the design. 

I actually only wrote the end screen song. Everything else was midi renditions of old metal songs from bands like slayer.

Yeah the end battle is unforgiving. The splash damage from the bfg is enough to put you in panic mode, let alone a straight-on hit. The only way even I was able to beat it is with quicksaves.

But thanks again for playing, will definitely take all this into account with my next project. And you can skip forward into the youtube video if you want to check out the ending. It's just a little eye candy really

lol so I just tried to record beating the level without secrets, cheats, or quicksaves. And I know it is possible. And I think it is balanced enough as far as ammo and health for the average doomer. That last battle is brutal. After 3 attempts, I died each time at the end there. But it's possible.

I didn't want Doomguy to be a pushover. and i think i've accomplished that.

but now I really wish i had put autosaves because that totally compliment the Wad.

i only had a month to make this. but now i know better :) perhaps next contest

1 hour ago, avyon7 said:

lol so I just tried to record beating the level without secrets, cheats, or quicksaves. And I know it is possible. And I think it is balanced enough as far as ammo and health for the average doomer. That last battle is brutal. After 3 attempts, I died each time at the end there. But it's possible.

I didn't want Doomguy to be a pushover. and i think i've accomplished that.

but now I really wish i had put autosaves because that totally compliment the Wad.

i only had a month to make this. but now i know better :) perhaps next contest

Yeah for sure, Doomguy should NOT be an easy fight and I think the difficulty was great. I played on UV and only died to him. I totally understand the time constraints.