Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Yep, there was a Doom movie with the Rock and Karl Urban, very loosely based on Doom anyway... If you take out the small handful of times the BFG and the UAC are mentioned, it's just a generic-but-passable action sci-fi flick.

That and the Doom Monsters were heavily inspired by Doom 3

In the original game, the Doomguy arrives at the Hangar only after his buddies are dead. 

*pokes his head out of the bunker*

Umm, hi, is the gender battle over, is it safe to come out?

-

Other than that, I am liking what I am seeing. At first I expected a Doom 2016 movie, but I am fine with this as well, kinda like a mixer between old and new, I guess it's going to be great in the end.

I do still hope for the "wake up Doomslayer" plot to be a thing, and in-so-far nothing has been mentioned that would negate such a possibility. So what, a crew of generic Space Marines? Greater stories started with even weaker people before, nothing to get agitated about.

If anything, I did feel agitated about the whole "Ooof if they make Doomgal then they Ess-gee-double v trash oof world is shit ooooof" because that is just a lot of hot air over nothing, lol. Now I am calm and I might check in this thread once in a while.

Thanks guys, keep posting those twitter updates (I would myself but I cannot afford the luxury of time) :D

I doubt we will see anything related to the Doom Slayer (at least the "Blessed Doomslayer" aka Doom (2016) Doomguy) we will probably see some depressing action schtick were we see the film focus on Doomguy's team going in, getting killed, cut to end of the film where we see the titular Blazkowicz walk in, end film, goto Doom games.

There is SOME hope but here's what we know:

IT'S NOT A SEQUEL TO THE ORIGINAL MOVIE FROM 2005 (and there was much rejoicing) if anyone tells you otherwise, they are fake news.

- The movie is instead quote on quote "We're trying to have a a faithful adaption" (Sauceand will be about a Marine team going to Phobos, Giglio has also stated: "I'm going to do my best to not disappoint you & all the doom fans" (Sauce) and "I’m a fan of DOOM (the games) too. Have faith!" (Sauce) The director/writer clearly has an clear vision for the film, and it does show that he's played the games, even IF he isn't exactly the most proven director.

- Amy Manson, Louis Mandylor, Nina Bergman, Luke Allen-Gale, Arkie Reece, Chidi Ajufo, Katrina Nare, James Weber Brown, Jemma Moore, Gavin Brocker, Amer Chadha-Patel, Clayton Adams, and Dominic Mafham are the confirmed cast.

- The Technology in-universe within the Film appears to be heavily inspired by the pre-AVP Alien series, clearly a retro-futuristic 80s-90s look.

- Marines are clearly designed to be based off of the USCMC from Aliens, but with a modernized twist (best seen here): 

- A Scientist (either corrupted by, in kahoots with, or the old "for the benefit of mankind" hubris trick) called "Betruger" (most likely a placeholder name) will appear, played by Dominic Mafham (interesting the cinematography looks neat, as he looks like a goddamn VG character, and on the brink of the Uncanny Valley) most likely the villain, or one of the villains (along with the demons)

- Structure design, and Ambience appears to be heavily based on Doom, the 2016 reboot/sequel and Doom 64.

I've got a good feeling about this, but I don't expect the best "direct-to" whatever this film is, but definitely it might be one of the best VG films, if not THE best.

On my personal opinion, I don't think a Doomgal would be a best fit (unless it's a prequel to the OG game, and Doomguy appears at the last minute, as stated before, with Amy Manson playing Ellen Ripley: Doom Edition, or Crash from Q3 Arena) as Doomguy is the epitome of the Achillean Hero, the stoic ultimate warrior, the Destroyer, no emotion, only hatred, survival, and military skills.

Edited by XLightningStormL

So here is Amy in full armor (sans the helmet)

Here is some more of the background set, showing that they’re indeed doubling down on the analog aesthetic the classic Doom had, showing a fair amount of teal and orange. 

This looks fucking awesome, highly interested now that we can see a look at the set and design, also not all that upset that "Doomguy" isnt the main lead role. This cast could create a rather kickass literation of some sort of knee deep in the dead on phobos pre story before "Doomguy arrives" Also I see alot of Doom 2016 art design elements in the set which is freakin great. Tony Giglio seems to know a bit more about Doom than he's getting credit for. So like he said, be faithful. I think were in for a surprise.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:21 AM, StevenC21 said:

I'm still going to be fucking pissed if they make a doomgirl.

Same here. Once again as I said in another thread or maybe this one... I am not against female protagonists. I'm against a female protagonist in anything Doom. It WILL ruin the tone of the film and will basically be the equivalent of the new Ghostbusters but as Doom.

On 5/23/2018 at 11:17 AM, GoatLord said:

Why? Because the series protagonist, who is just a generic placeholder for YOU, the player, might not have a dong in the movie?

Actually it's really not. The mugshot on the status bar is male. The player sprites are also male. The pain and death sounds, are once again, male. The player in Doom 64 is male. The player in Doom 3 is male. The Doomslayer in DOOM 2016 is male. Need I go on?

3 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

You're describing a placeholder, not a developed character.

That's not how I see it. To me he is basically like Gordon Freeman.

He's even more of a character in the new game.

If you seriously think a female protagonist is gonna make the movie worse -considering all the things they can and will fuck up- you might need to get your expectations a bit more in line with reality LMAO

When is the whole 'omg female main character means this will be a bad movie' bullshit going to disappear?

When is the needless pessimism / negative expectation bullshit going to disappear?

Why do some of you need to be 110% nitpicky about details like costumes? (something which has been inconsistent from game to game might I add)

Cut it out guys n' girls, come on. Cheer up.

Spoiler

Sorry for backseat

A thread was already closed because of the fight over genders. why is this getting derailed into that as well?

Please stop the discussion about genders. I think we've heard all we had to by now.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:51 PM, Doomkid said:

Yep, there was a Doom movie with the Rock and Karl Urban, very loosely based on Doom anyway... If you take out the small handful of times the BFG and the UAC are mentioned, it's just a generic-but-passable action sci-fi flick.

And that's the one thing that concerns me... I think the warcraft and the old doom movie adaptation have shown pretty clearly that it's a very difficult thing to do the fanservice properly while still creating a movie that is able to "please" people who aren't familiar with the actual game (s). Interestingly, both adaptations missed the mark on different sides of the spectrum, assuming it is actually possible to do it "right" to begin with.

2 hours ago, GoatLord said:

You're describing a placeholder, not a developed character.

What makes Doomguy a placeholder to you? Is the mugshot not a face of a man? Do you not play as a man? Failing to see your proof it's a gender neutral placeholder character.

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

That's not how I see it. To me he is basically like Gordon Freeman.

He's even more of a character in the new game.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

If you seriously think a female protagonist is gonna make the movie worse -considering all the things they can and will fuck up- you might need to get your expectations a bit more in line with reality LMAO

My expectations should not need to conform to your idea of what reality is.

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

When is the whole 'omg female main character means this will be a bad movie' bullshit going to disappear?

When is the needless pessimism / negative expectation bullshit going to disappear?

It never will. This is a genre and franchise we care about and we (or I at least) don't like seeing things get ruined. Usually these days having a negative expectation is the realistic one.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

And that's the one thing that concerns me... I think the warcraft and the old doom movie adaptation have shown pretty clearly that it's a very difficult thing to do the fanservice properly while still creating a movie that is able to "please" people who aren't familiar with the actual game (s). Interestingly, both adaptations missed the mark on different sides of the spectrum, assuming it is actually possible to do it "right" to begin with.

They should stop trying to please the unfamiliars and just please the fans.

3 minutes ago, Nevander said:

That's a solid guarantee they won't sell enough tickets to pay for the movie production.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

My expectations should not need to conform to your idea of what reality is.

Okay but:

It never will. This is a genre and franchise we care about and we (or I at least) don't like seeing things get ruined. Usually these days having a negative expectation is the realistic one.

Unless you are able to provide a piece of evidence that suggests that this movie is going to get ruined if the protagonist does not come with a penis, you're merely trying to hide your position behind a design decision that was made way back when women probably couldn't join the armed forces even if they wanted. Just because it seemed "right" back then doesn't mean it's still right today, therefore it's fair -if not obligatory- to disagree with your POV or at the very least the reasoning thereof.

Let's not confuse things here. What you are actually trying to say is that you want a doom movie made just how you think it's right for yourself. You don't care if the movie is able to carry its own monetary weight, and you don't care if the movie gets successful enough to justify an actual sequel either. Which for the record is true regardless of the protagonist's gender, because the first movie already ended in the reds (no women in major roles, might I add), and that movie worked better for people who had basically no clue about doom (read: 99.9% of earth's population), which is actually the more likely way it would sell properly when compared to making a movie for the remaining 0.1% of people.

So, let's not pretend you're one to ask when it comes to how to turn a profit, let alone make ends meet. And yes, cash is what's actually important, then there's a whole lot of nothing a really large stretch of it at that, and then you have some room for actual fanservice that goes beyond mentioning (in)famous maps. That's how this works, and that's how it's gonna go down for the most part, whether you like it or not. Why? Because doom can't pride itself with being in the guiness book of world records for having the world's largest player/fanbase, and for some odd reason people don't like to work for free.

I still don't understand why they didn't make costumes closer to the Doomguy or ever former human designs.

Here's a cool thought.

What if the movie is about your buddies that die before Doom 1 and the Doomguy only appears at the end of the movie? There are plenty of dead marines in E1 so those could be the characters. It would be even cooler if the characters died at the same places where the original weapon pickups are. 

Doom has a lot of interesting concepts, settings and ideas that would make for a nice and memorable movie, but I don't really think the "doomguy" factors into this in any meaningful fashion. This character would definitely be at the bottom of my checklist. The Doom 2016 version could certainly be used as a macguffin for whoever is the main character or group of characters, but as a protagonist I'm not so sure. There's just not a whole lot to latch onto in the aspect of narrative.

Sure you could make an interesting movie revolving a "Individual vs. World" concept with a Doomguy (or girl. It really doesn't matter IMO), but to make it interesting it would probably be more centered around survival than kicking ass and slaughtering demons. The latter is pretty much the worst movie concept I can think of - given the subject matter.

As I see it what Doom could contribute to the movie media is more in the veins of classic survival horror rather than some gamified power trip. The games are just MUCH better suited for that.

Regarding the whole gender thing, I'll only be miffed if they literally turn Doomguy female for no apparent reason, which seems unlikely. Either way I'm excited to see how this turns out, could always use more Doom in my life.

Some “taking the piss” kind of stuff, namely showing a capsule or stasis tank or something similar. 

EDIT: Found a couple of gems on Instagram:

(Removed from Instagram)

Holy shit, that actually looks demented.

In fact, now that I think about it, those blood marks look too deliberate to be scratches or simple bloodstains. In fact, those look more like glyphs in some forgotten language. 

EDIT 2: So Nina just posted this. 

EDIT 3:

(Removed from Twitter?)

The Twitter version (more recent) shows more details, namely what appears to be something glowing on his chest. Perhaps the end result of an Imp’s fireball just making its mark, or a side effect of demonic possession?

Edited by Man of Doom : Found more pics on Instagram/Twitter

Haha, he looks so fucking demented. I take it he's going to be one of fun villains.

Looking great so far. Love that photo of Amy in the body armor! This looks like it's going to be a much more fun movie than the older one that tried to be a serious action drama. 

So according to the most recent tweets out there, the movie has wrapped filming today.  

Anyway:

Supposedly from the first day of shooting (literally):

And some more gems from Instagram, including what appears to be a UAC worker:

More base tours from Nina, featuring an actual sneak peek at the movie (before post-production, I believe):

And finally, shirtless Betruger:

(Currently removed from Instagram) 

It was certainly fun seeing the movie get filmed, and I can’t wait to see what comes next, especially the final product. If the Twitter versions of these posts show up, I’ll post them here. 

Edited by Man of Doom