Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

What's the most collectible physical copy of the first three episodes of Doom?

Not counting Ultimate Doom since it was released after Doom II, and had an additional episode besides.

DOom cover.jpg

The most collectible physical copy of Doom is... a physical copy of the first version of Doom, mail ordered from id Software, obviously. Is this some sort of riddle?

Haha, no I honestly didn't know. Wasn't sure whether it had box art, etc.

Apparently the answer is "Mail-order registered version v1.1 (5.25 disks)"

Here's an image of v1.2, which should be identical other than the 3.5 discs:

do.jpg.3e2dbe35e19d544752fe39ba4e32f41b.jpg

...can't find an image of v1.1

1.1 is what a piracy-savvy kid at my school gave me in early February 1994, and what I played for a very long time as I didn't know there were updates. I'm generally not a fan of collecting or memorabilia these days, but I'd probably pay pretty good money for that set in nice condition.

35 minutes ago, ukiro said:

I'm generally not a fan of collecting or memorabilia these days, but I'd probably pay pretty good money for that set in nice condition.

Nice, finally a pic! (might have seen that thread originally actually, just slipped my mind)

I was thinking along the same lines when it came to potential acquisition...

Either the mail order 5.25" release or the mail order CD-ROM release. Either seem to be pretty rare - the former because by 1993 most people had 3.5" floppy drives in their PCs, and the latter probably because the CD-ROM release didn't come out until around a month before Ultimate Doom was released in stores anyway.

Hmm, this is only semi on-topic, but I first got Doom (shareware) as a kid off some shovelware 10-CD collection thing, and this thread made me curious if I could find it anywhere.

Well, lo and behold, I found the stupid thing:

2QFV7PHl.png

Look at this piece of shit. Y'all with a proper 3.5' release are lucky. :P

33 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Hmm, this is only semi on-topic, but I first got Doom (shareware) as a kid off some shovelware 10-CD collection thing, and this thread made me curious if I could find it anywhere.

2QFV7PHl.png

Strange, I also had a similar product called a 5 foot 10 pack.  Shareware Doom was included, but of course I didn't need it because Internet.  I think it also had a CD for Kings Quest 5, but that game was hard as nails and I never got far in it.  But one or two of the other included CD's had some interesting weird random stuff on it, like Corncob 3D, a 3D walkthrough of a house, and Fishtro by Future Crew.  I wish I could find it again so I could more fully explore the CD's and remember what was on them.

The original Doom boxes, they are limited in quantity and not many people have a box in mint condition since some people don't care about the box/es and throw them in their basement for 20 years. 

I don't guess anyone know how many copies were printed of the v1.1 5.25 box? Asked Romero: "Hmm, not that many. Because 1.2 came out quickly."

2 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

If you got a mint condition box of Doom then sell it and buy a house because this is what a beat up item costs! Yikes.

Probably going to cost you more than $500 to buy a house :)  But I think a lot of people overestimate how much these things are worth. I've seen lots of items like that on sale for like $500 but I don't think I've seen one sell for that much (remember, eBay lets you set whatever price you want).

I'm also incredibly skeptical of "factory sealed" items like this which are "still" wrapped in cellophane. While for many collectors that seems to make for a holy grail of collectibles, often these are just eBay sellers who have sealed up some old item in fresh cellophane. I'd probably prefer to buy something without cellophane just because at least that way I know I'm not getting ripped off.

I chucked my huge "DOOM TRILOGY" box out years ago and don't really collect this sort of thing myself, with one exception..

Spoiler

IMG_1264.jpg.1d9dde055a4510694297bf9d3ce28eeb.jpg

A near mint copy of jaguar doom! and also my other collectable.. Not doom related

Spoiler

IMG_1265.jpg.91b2cc862c4fe94deba450e5e5649b59.jpg

On 6/1/2018 at 10:20 PM, Xaser said:

2QFV7PHl.png

My favorite part of this picture is that Doom is sitting next to a collection of fonts.

My parents actually still have my original shareware box (the one that came bundled with Wolfenstein 3D) on a bookshelf in the office at their house. The box still has the shareware 3.5" disk in it (no idea if it still works, since I don't think it's been loaded into a disk drive since 1994) as well as the beak marks from where my sister's cockatiel chewed the edges of the box.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:20 PM, Xaser said:

2QFV7PHl.png

I had something similar to this called "Millennium Collection" that featured Tomb Raider and Duke Nukem 3D among some other games. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:15 PM, Liberation said:

I chucked my huge "DOOM TRILOGY" box out years ago and don't really collect this sort of thing myself, with one exception.. 

A near mint copy of jaguar doom! and also my other collectable.. Not doom related

Very nice! Surprisingly, this one is going up in price as well. I remember back in 2009 or so when you could nab a complete copy for about $20 or less, and now a nice copy will cost you $75+. Same with Wolfenstein 3D on the Jaguar.