Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Rush

June, 2018

CDm6UWQ.png

> Download Rush

NaZa's unofficial leader board

Leaderboard

1. [2] 12-S-S WH-Wilou84 - Hell, it's about time. Never mind the Ultra Violent practitioners; this is impressive as always!
  2. [2] 12-0-0 Ancalagon - Spends almost the entirety of the run in the black and then bites into the side of a fly-by rocket.
  3. [2] 12-0-0 Bloodite Krypto - Won the attention of an ostensibly distracted cyberdemon.
  4. [3] 12-0-0 Beginner - Impressive cyberdemon threads the needle while The Doors flood in (the barons, not the band).
  5. [2] 10-12-0 Roofi - Not content with getting slammed by a single rocket, Roofi exits the gallery to embrace the brown inferno a second time.
  6. [3] 8-S-S antares031 - After losing the plot in the Land of the Demons, recovers to exit with relative ease. Consider your soul salvaged.
  7. [3] 8-12-S RjY - Puts in the HMP hard yards only to get stuck on the wrong side of the viewing gallery. Cleans up his act for the final bout.
  8. [3] 8-10-11 leodoom85 - Scared shitless by the sound of a powerup spawning in behind him. The arch-viles found it hilarious.
  9. [3] 6-9-9 Malrionn - Brazenly BFG'd his way into a gathering of hell knights and ultimately paid the price.
  10. [2] 5-0-0 Demon of the Well - Ouch! What a fall from grace. A lone cyberdemon is enough to send this demon back into his well.
  11. [2] 5-0-0 Anima Zero - SHANKED by a bunch of ghoulies while his back was turned. What a house of horrors!
  12. [2] 4-8-11 HexaDoken - THIS MEANS WAR! IN JULY, PROBABLY! WHY ARE WE SHOUTING!? (keyboard only)
  13. [1] 4-0-0 Scotty - Forgot to bring his mountaineering gear; got caught out by a nested revenant.
  14. [1] 3-9-11 NaZa - Lost one of his skis whilst slaloming through hellspawn; careened right into a mancubus fireball. Fair effort!
  15. [2] 2-10-11 an_mutt - Volunteered to become the first astronaut in the arch-vile space exploration program.
  16. [3] 2-8-12 Dragonfly - Spectre has also prepared its run. A lifetime of kerosene consumption and star-gazing has lead to this special moment.
  17. [1] 2-6-0 dt_ - The super mancubus clearly had a greater need for that megasphere than dt_ did. Dinner, perhaps?
  18. [2] 2-4-12 Alfonzo - Embarrassed myself early and then fell asleep at the wheel in HNTR map12. "You have reached your Destination :)"
  19. [1] 2-4-12 NoisyVelvet - Left himself plenty of room for escape but tried for a rodeo instead. Wrangled by the revenants.
  20. [2] 2-4-4 Suitepee - Died to source ports, in the white fields, and with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Give 'em Hell in July, John!
  21. [1] 2-4-4 Agent6 - After suffering a hot start on HMP map04 (or is that a cold start?), embraces the fiery warmth of a mancubus fireball.
  22. [2] 2-4-0 Catpho - I used to be an adventurer like you until... I took a revenant missile to the ankle? Bit dodgy, that one (unlike Catpho).
  23. [1] 2-3-10 SSGmaster - Buried through a field of steaming cacodemon guts for something else that's blue. Got splayed for his troubles, instead.
  24. [2] 2-3-8 cannonball - Never have an arch-vile act as a reference when filling out your membership form for the One Percent Club.
  25. [1] 2-3-3 Bashe - Rushes headlong into a lazy revenant rocket.
  26. [1] 2-3-3 JudgeDeadd - The other, other Alamo.
  27. [1] 2-3-3 Crusader No Regret - 70 damage. 80 damage. 50 damage ayyy revenants are the best!
  28. [3] 2-3-0 Steve D - Oh, thank you for this gift, Steve. Watching you embrace a million revenant rockets gave me a good laugh! (keyboard only)
  29. [2] 2-2-12 42PercentHealth - 42 would have been hungry at this prospect but he bottled it early. Held his head high to reach The Destination.
  30. [1] 2-2-3 DaIcemann76 - Collected all the revenant fireballs like they were going out of fashion.
  31. [1] 2-2-2 Eris Falling - Flailing wildly at the monsters almost as if he were blind, for real!
  32. [3] 2-0-0 Bdubzzz - Went in hot and came out hotter. Super mancs like their marines extra crispy.
  33. [1] 2-0-0 Vince Vega - To steady the nerves Vince reaches for the absinthe but finds only REVENANTS!
  34. [2] 2-0-0 Urthar - Strung up by a couple of arachnotrons.
  35. [1] 1-2-2 Walter confetti - Caught offside in the map02 Mancubus Hothouse.
  36. [1] 1-1-1 Pegleg - It's hard to get momentum through those arm swings when you barely have a leg to stand on.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In June 2018 the Doomworld Ironman League dies to @Archi's Rush, -complevel 9 (boom (strict)) using the 1CC rule set.* This may or may not be a token attempt to get him to hate me less after a slew of terrible selections in previous years. :)

Rush is a fun, rip-roaring episode of 12 maps that aficionados have been quick to praise as one of the premiere entry level slaughter sets for Doom. In this field it is considered to be relatively easy, with fewer of the sorts of "hyper-lethal" setups you are likely to encounter in other big name WADs, but no doubt some of our resident Ironmen will be too busy battling against the odds to notice such highbrow distinction! For the traditionalists, Rush also sports some small, tough concept-driven levels to compliment the onslaught. Here's a reminder of the 1CC rule set:

*Record a demo/video starting from the first map in UV as per usual. If you die, record a second demo pistol-starting from the same map you died on, this time on HMP. If you die a second time, drop down further to HNTR. There is no subsequent drop-off: a HNTR death will signal the end of your run. Times are cumulative. You will be required to provide all the recorded demos in a zip file. Your ranking will prioritize UV first and in descending order. Only players who win through on UV will have "survived" according to the leader board.

Potential Game-stoppers and Bugs

• None documented yet.
prboom-plus -file rush -complevel 9 -warp -skill 4/3/2 -record my_demo
Spoiler
  • One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom or Eternity), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No other wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If your operating system fails during the run such that the stream/recording becomes irretrievable, you are permitted a second or subsequent attempt. Technical difficulties during streams or recordings that present as merely an impediment (i.e. the run is still observable, in the case of a stream) do not count as system failures. In these instances, you should save the game, if possible, and resume when the issue has been resolved.
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • You are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you scout only the first level of a WAD you're otherwise unfamiliar with and die in the first level, you should list your run as [3] instead of [2]. If you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I can't remember the details of any one area in a way that would offer an advantage over truly blind players.

2. This is a familiar run. I have played or watched the level/set being played before — even if it's only one area — and can remember enough details to have an advantage over blind players.

3. This is a prepared run. I played the WAD to some extent after it was announced for this month's Ironman but before declaring an official run

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)
End Game & End Point (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)
Doom The Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Combat Shock 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Coffee Break (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)
50 Monsters (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Double Impact (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update.

Glad to see the 1CC rule again. Probably it's the best option for a slaughterwad like this. Good luck to everyone. :)

Here's a bumper post reminding you that this set uses the 1CC rule set, but also that no, you don't have to play past the first attempt (UV) if you don't want to. This was the case with runs by Ancalagon and Archi in January's Combat Shock 2, for instance. The convenience with the way the rankings are laid out is that playing vanilla Ironman doesn't disrupt the leaderboard any, so go wild!

Also, apologies for the boring, two-bit graphic.

Edited by Alfonzo

This will be tough but bring it on until I die 3 times.

And don't worry for the logo, it's better than nothing...

*shrug* :D

"Set of 12 boom-compatible slaughterish maps."

Oh boi, shit hits the fan this month eh? I can't wait to record my terrible demos xdd, but before I do that, I've been reading the -longtics setting (PrBoom+) fixes the unresponsive mouse issue when recording and I'm wondering whether it's allowed.

I apologize in advance for nasty cyber spoilers on map06, feel free to hate me for what that map is gameplay-wise on UV. Good luck!

11 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

I've been reading the -longtics setting (PrBoom+) fixes the unresponsive mouse issue when recording and I'm wondering whether it's allowed.

That sounds like it should be fine, Agent. I'm not very familiar with the engine minutiae but if there are no strings attached then... well, perhaps it's something I should try as well before habits set in.

Using the 1CC rule again eh? That might give me a chance to survive a bit longer in this mapset, considering my poor performances in the Britbowl as of late. Another one I've played before (and enjoyed!) as well.

How will Archi do this time around with his own creation, I wonder?

Done for good on MAP04. Category 1.

Pretty nice, but I'm so terrible at playing stuff blindly when recording... I could've easily got much farther if it wasn't for me doing what I do best: Stupid mistakes (forgetting about/to dodge/running straight into enemy projectiles/rockets, running into a wall behind me and getting hit). Starting the next level with 11% health is not going to help you, you'll be dead before realizing what's going on and what you're supposed to do.

agent6demos.zip

Eleven months since the last true familiar WAD. All the rest were unknown to me, and this one is too. I hope next month might be something I'm familiar with. 

I'll do my run on Sunday. 

I like this new 1CC rule there... But how this works? Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't get it from the description... let's say for example I die in MAP03 on UV, this means that I have to record another demo on HMP and then on HNTR or I keep record my demo and at death on UV I restart on HMP and then HNTR and idclev to the map I died?

8 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

I like this new 1CC rule there... But how this works? Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't get it from the description... let's say for example I die in MAP03 on UV, this means that I have to record another demo on HMP and then on HNTR or I keep record my demo and at death on UV I restart on HMP and then HNTR and idclev to the map I died?

Say, you complete 2 levels on UV, then die on the third. Should that be the case then you lower the difficulty and pistol start the said level and repeat the procedure in case you die again.

4 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

The way I read the 1CC rule is (someone please correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Start a demo recording on UV.
  2. Play until you finish the mapset or die. Let's say you die on Map03.
  3. End your demo recording.
  4. Start a second demo recording on HMP.
  5. idclev to Map03 immediately and play from a pistol start on this difficulty level.
  6. Play until you finish the mapset or die. Let's say you die on Map07.
  7. End your second demo recording.
  8. Start a demo recording on HNTR.
  9. idclev to Map07 immediately and play from pistol start.
  10. Play until you finish the mapset or die. Let's say you die on Map12.
  11. End your third demo recording.

So, you end up with a demo of you playing Map01 - Map03 on UV, a demo of you playing Map03 - Map07 on HMP, and a demo of you playing Map07 - Map12 on HNTR.

You don't have to do either of the subsequent demos if you don't want to. The only one that is mandatory is the first one on UV.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

idclev to Map03 immediately and play from a pistol start on this difficulty level.

'warp' command

On 6/1/2018 at 9:39 PM, Pegleg said:

The way I read the 1CC rule is (someone please correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Start a demo recording on UV.
  2. Play until you finish the mapset or die. Let's say you die on Map03.
  3. End your demo recording.
  4. Start a second demo recording on HMP.
  5. idclev to Map03 immediately and play from a pistol start on this difficulty level.
  6. Play until you finish the mapset or die. Let's say you die on Map07.
  7. End your second demo recording.
  8. Start a demo recording on HNTR.
  9. idclev to Map07 immediately and play from pistol start.
  10. Play until you finish the mapset or die. Let's say you die on Map12.
  11. End your third demo recording.

So, you end up with a demo of you playing Map01 - Map03 on UV, a demo of you playing Map03 - Map07 on HMP, and a demo of you playing Map07 - Map12 on HNTR.

You don't have to do either of the subsequent demos if you don't want to. The only one that is mandatory is the first one on UV.

Oh, now i see! Thanks!

EDIT: tried it, played on blind category (1):

walt-ironman-rush.zip

UV Death: MAP01

HMP and HNTR Death: MAP02

HMP death was the one made me cringe, personally.

Also, did MAP02 have skill difference? Anyway, look s a pretty swell mapset.

Edited by Walter confetti

All right! This might be my first non-blind ironman run! :-P But I already know this is an excellent mapset, looking forward to playing it again! :-D

Second attempt since I died to a cyber on map02 on my first attempt. Not for leaderboard.

Also skill settings are pretty awful, might not be much easier on lower skills or way too easier in some places. You better watch some speedruns/playthroughs probably before doing a run.

rush_arch_1.zip

Decided to go for a one life only attempt.  No 1cc shenanigans for me, heh.

Also I died on map 5 in another quality moment that X is going to bitchslap me for...if the revenants that bitchslapped me to death didn't do enough already, heh.

DWIronman_Rush_AnimaZero.zip

Another stellar entry. I didn't even make it to Map02 on any of the difficulty levels.

• UV: Dead on Map01, 28/107 (a sneaky imp coming out of a door on the other side of a hall took me down mere feet from a medkit--of course, I didn't yet know it was there, but that's beside the point)
  • HMP: Dead on Map01, 25/107 (another imp, this one decided to moon me as I lay dying, at least the other imp had the decency to look at me)
  • HNTR: Dead on Map01, 43/93 (taken down by a cacodemon--I can take some comfort in knowing that at least I hurt it first)

I'm going to call this a blind run, category 1.

Honestly, the UV demo here is actually my second recording. However, all I did in the first recording was dawdle in the first room too long and get rushed by a herd of demons that I tried to run from by backing into a corner. So, I wouldn't say I really learned anything about the level from that experience.

I then actually did worse on HMP than UV. I didn't expect that. I decided to try to punch the demons, which worked for the first one and then was less successful for  the rest, which led to me losing more health than I could really afford (due to getting rushed by a group of demons and imps). Then I decided it was a good idea to try to play hide and seek with them back in the first room. Which went well until one kind of snuck up on me. ... And then graced my corpse with a view of his posterior. I bet that guy is fun at parties.

I checked the automap after I died to see the number of monsters, but it didn't show up on the demo. So, I don't know what went wrong with the map not showing up. Evidently, I still have some things to figure out.

Not the least of which is getting better at dodging (I feel your pain @Agent6).

dwi_rush_pegleg_1cc.zip

I'll probably be doing my run on Wednesday.

In the meantime, here's an update on the current Britbowl 2018 standings:

a885ea57995753d9a5dcd2ac003068eb.png

UV - Started on MAP01, died on MAP02.

HMP - Started and died on MAP02 (revenant bullshit.)

HNTR - Started on MAP02, died on MAP03 (more revenant bullshit.)

God I fucking hate the way PrBoom+ handles mouse movement.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this was a Category 1 (blind) run.

bumrushed.zip

Edited by DaIcemann76

doom00.png.8f558f917ae2a67d9faff06865feb590.png

As always, played the demo back for this scene. Guy must've been ecstatic! He looks very satisfied with his work, at least. I can't say the same.

My best showing yet, apparently. Even though I don't like slaughter WADs much, this was a blast, especially on HMP, but it proved too much at the end.

Category 1, MAP03 - MAP09 - MAP11

UV - Even on MAP02 this was proving to be quite a difficult one. MAP01 was quite off-putting in terms of difficulty, relatively easy. On par with the most difficult levels of Mapgame and DTWID. However MAP02 wastes no action and puts you in medias res immediately and doesn't give up. The end was a bit cheesable with the Cybie but overall a nice showing. Then MAP03 happened, and... well, I chose plasma over rockets and you can see how that ended up. Overpowered to say the least.

HMP - I don't know what happened to me. With no false modesty, this was an incredible run I've had. I've almost never felt threatened, and after building up my arsenal I've managed to do quite well. MAP03 was a bit of a trainwreck near the end, and MAP06 took me 10 minutes to realize what do I have to do. Alfonzo, I really want you to see how I ultra-cheesed the ending of MAP08. You'll certainly like that, I can assure you. After such a boost of confidence, lost it midway through MAP09 because it was very apparent I was getting tired and I couldn't dodge Hell Knight fireballs so efficiently anymore. Too bad.

HNTR - Back to the NaZa who doesn't seem to be able to have a lot of luck. MAP10 was pretty alright, I've really put a lot of effort into surviving it. Then MAP11 came, and after killing ~60% of the enemies at the start of the map, I got lulled into a false sense of security and that certainly didn't help as I've had 4 HP and 5 armor for about a minute. I never really recovered and near the end I was just so tired I relied too much on BFG tracers. Mancubus certainly didn't like that so he killed me once and for all.

Excellent set, really fun so far. HMP is right up my alley with what I can survive at most. I'll definitely be giving this a casual playthrough later. @Archi you've done a phenomenal job with balancing out the gameplay for various difficulties, all while the maps are pleasant to look at. Great stuff!

dwironman_jun18_rush_naza.zip

Edited by NaZa

Category 1: Dead Map02 - Map04 - Map12

Map02: Couldn't get my bearings on the room because of specters; left room to fetch health - mancubus fireball followed

Map04: Good at DoomTM

Map12: Okay I respect this death more than the first two.  Tough fight, didn't see it coming, I didn't save enough BFG to simply spam my way out of it.

The set was solid.  Also map06 is amazing.

edit: holy crap, watched @Alfonzo's recording just now.  We're blood brothers!

Edited by NoisyVelvet

10 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Category 1: Dead Map02 - Map04 - Map12

Map02: Couldn't get my bearings on the room because of specters; left room to fetch health - mancubus fireball followed

Map04: Good at DoomTM

Map12: Okay I respect this death more than the first two.  Tough fight, didn't see it coming, I didn't save enough BFG to simply spam my way out of it.

The set was solid.  Also map06 is amazing.

edit: holy crap, watched @Alfonzo's recording just now.  We're blood brothers!

lol i just had a hilariously bad run on MAP04 (HMP) too. No wonder i enjoy playing maps by you two.

Category 3. I watched ELMLE's UV-Speed attempts of Rush on Twitch long ago, I watched UV-Max runs of it on Youtube (done by Ancalagon and rdwpa), and I even played the levels with iddqd on, in order to familiarize the wad, before I record the demo.

UV: Died on MAP08 with 161/236 monster count

HMP: Died on MAP13 with 0/24 monster count Survived, with 1051/1052 monster count

Well, I survived for the first time, although it was HMP, not UV. But it still counts, I guess.

antares_Ironman_rush.zip

I think I'll attempt to join, I just gotta fine tune some cosmetic things in the background to work better with the colour blind mod thing heh (might make it so the hud isnt effected by the filter)

Category 3 up till the first room of Map10, everything thereafter is blind, so, idk if that'c cat 2 or 3 or what. :P

Unfortunately, not a survivor this time, again I am ded x_x

I died on:
UV: Map 02
HMP: Map 08
HNTR: Map 12, 201 enemies remaining. Killed by a spectre which decided "Oh hey I want a cuddle while you're blasting off that rocket launcher.". Ouch! >_<

VOD below.

98accbbbaf781850f715fda80bf96e0e.png

Dead on Map04, category 1 - demo. Survived on low health for a bit then caught an errant rev rocket while backtracking for health. Clearly i always forget that in ironman you absolutely must meticulously clear out every possible threat just in case, heh. 

UV only cause i don't want to spoil the remainder of the set on a lower difficulty, personally. I'm looking forward to playing the rest of it very much.