Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_is_great

rock/metal songs that would have fit Doom

We know that a lot of rock/metal songs were adapted and included in Classic Doom, such as Alice in Chain's Them Bones, and a song from Pantera (sorry, can't remember what is called). As I have listened to more rock and metal songs throughout my life, I have thought on occasion "Wow, this song would fit very well in Doom."

One song that I have been listening to recently is Beyond the Wheel by Soundgarden. To me, it would be a perfect song for a boss level or final map. It just sounds so foreboding.

Another one that I listened to a while is Heavy by Collective Soul. To me, it would be fitting for a fast-paced, action packed map.

Another one is Ted Nugent's Stranglehold. Not the whole song, but at about 2:30, the bass rhythm reminds me of sneaking around a Doom level killing imps and zombies.

Granted, the lyrics would have to be removed since lyrics would break the atmosphere of Doom. What are some songs that you have listened to over the years that would have fit very well in Classic Doom?

Lately I've been thinking that certain older songs by Grave (such as Obsessed) could work very well in some Doom levels.

And at least a part of Dead Congregation's Immaculate Poison would work in a boss or more horror inspired level infested by hordes of demons. But yeah cavernous stuff wouldn't work most of the time I guess, I think thrash would be a more fitting candidate in general.

Dave Mustaine - Symphony Of Destruction

Bathory - Raise The Dead

Pantera - Mouth Of War

Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss

Are we talking about more vanilla-type compatibility? In that case, I think it's important to consider how some of the songs that would sound as a midi file.

If we're not worried about format then I suggest, in no particular order, (without looking to see if any of these songs already form the base of any Doom music):

Black Sabbath - War Pigs

Five Finger Death Punch - Jekyll and Hyde

Five Finger Death Punch - You

Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot

Avenged Sevenfold - Unholy Confessions

Avenged Sevenfold - Shepard of Fire

Powerwolf - We Drink Your Blood

Metallica - Creeping Death

Metallica - Seek and Destroy

Metallica - Dyers Eve

Metallica - Blackened

DragonForce - Through the Fire and Flames

Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Hammerfall - Any Means Necessary

Rob Zombie - Dragula

2 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Pantera - Mouth Of War

Isn't that one already on Doom? =P

I would say certain songs from Judas Priest's albums Hell Bent For Leather, Painkiller and Screaming For Vengeance. 

I wonder sometimes what kind of synth songs would fit properly in Doom. Maybe some of Gary Numan's work at his peak. 

This would be a great track for a long, ominous, sinister adventure map that encompasses several different moods just like the song itself. Mostly just evil, though. \m/

Also, technically not metal, but this dark droney synth piece from Twin Peaks could fit perfectly in a Doom map. To me, it's reminiscent of the track in PRCP Map 19.

Iron Maiden - Be quick or be dead, Genghis Khan, Purgatory, anything from Somewhere in time and Seventh Son (good atmosphere), e.t.c.

Judas Priest - Nightcrawler (maybe a bit too heavy for Doom),  Turbo Lover (would love seeing it when getting prepared for a boss), Beyond the realms of death, Necromancer, Hellrider, Heavy metal, Breaking the Law, Electric Eye, e.t.c.

Metallica - Ride the lightning as an album, Battery, Wherever I may roam

Megadeth - Rattlehead, Symphony of Destruction, Sweating bullets and Rust in Peace as a whole, especially Tornado of Souls.

Since I've been listening quite a bit to Aosoth these days, something eventually got stuck in my head from their debut album. I think an instrumental version of Soul Cremation would work very well when things get intense and require the player to act fast:

Metal tracks in Doom is okay, but I prefer the use of more industrial tracks, such as some of the music that plays in parts of Doom 3. 

I always thought that headless cross would fit well in doom, i used a midi version in one of my maps