Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DyingCamel

The King of IronCamel Doom Tournament #1

I look forward to taking part in this Ironman tournament, alongside the more well established Doomworld Ironman League. Should be interesting to see what happens with two Ironman events happening for a few months....

Will a leaderboard be put up on here for us to enjoy by the way, DyingCamel?

i think mine will focus mostly on easier wads, trying to get more noobs to participate and enjoy Doom! 

Maybe I'll have a shot at surviving these at least. 

EDIT: Oh dammit, one needs to stream. Welp, I don't have a streamong setup. Too bad. 

sorry john, im picking wads that i played a long time ago, and remember enjoying, so i dunno how good they are actually going to be, i have a shit memory :-D

On 6/6/2018 at 6:51 PM, NaZa said:

EDIT: Oh dammit, one needs to stream. Welp, I don't have a streamong setup. Too bad. 

I'm with you NaZa. So I did a demo anyway. Screw the rules, we can still join in unofficially :).

survived+1 1:44:50

Spoiler

E1M1    61/67  6  34/34  1/1   2:41+12     2:41
E1M2  188/188  0  30/30  4/4  15:47+25    18:28
E1M3  223/223  0  47/47  2/2  18:58+02    37:26
E1M9  110/110  0    3/3  3/3  11:05+04    48:31
E1M4  207/207  0  53/53  3/3  14:25+13  1:02:56
E1M5      0/0  0    0/0  0/0   0:03+20  1:02:59
E1M6  155/155  0  29/29  3/3  15:15+34  1:18:14
E1M7  157/157  0  23/23  3/4  21:49+04  1:40:03
E1M8    56/60  4    4/4  1/1   4:47+30  1:44:50

DyingCamel's contest rules require entries be in the form of live Twitch streams, so this is unlikely to count. Although practising was explicitly discouraged, I'd played this enough in the past to remember most of it.

E1M1: Not a great opening performance, down to 13 health almost immediately, thanks to a bunch of sergeants. I forgot to go back for the imps at the start.

E1M2: 5 extra minutes searching for the last two secrets, this is what happens when I don't revise...

E1M3: The one with the instant death teleport. I was wary of accidentally locking myself out of the secret exit - I knew the doors could shut permanently, but not exactly how. Also, note the meanest monster trap on the level is triggered by picking up a box of rockets. Disproportionately heavy traps triggered in unexpected places is a trend through the wad.

E1M9: I recall it may be possible to bump/grab the early blue key, although I wasn't able to. I didn't mean to get the soulsphere when I did, I was just checking where the step was but ended up having to run for it when I fell off the ledge. At the real blue key, I remembered to avoid getting locked in with all the barons and lost souls.

E1M4: The secrets being only a radsuit closet (that counts twice) and an area map closet (marked by an arrow made of helmets) seems like a bug. There is that whole area behind the shootable door, and especially the rocket launcher on a lift whose switch is hidden behind a false wall. Surely some of these were meant to count for official secrets?

E1M5: Placeholder map. classic6 is the finished version.

E1M6: I still have the opening memorised as getting the plasma gun is the best way to survive a pistol start. Another map with the most fierce traps on innocuous items - you'd expect the mass teleporter in the inner fort to be triggered by the red key but it's actually the secret backpack; spectres teleported around you for picking up a single medikit; and of course flooding the map with lost souls by picking up one of two single cells (I could bring myself to skip this last one).

E1M7: I nearly died three times here. I forgot how monster-dense the first room is and to immediately run through the door past the barons/spectres as the following room has only a couple of sergeants. Then the monster teleporter on route to the red key, because I forgot it's better to dash for the switch and go up and out, rather than try to fight in the cramped room - I was fortunate to last long enough to switch to the BFG to clear some space. Finally I knew the cyberdemon was coming but forgot exactly how its teleporting worked, and went from 182/200 to 42/64 in very short order. Lastly, I realised at the end of the map that I had locked myself out of one of the secrets.

E1M8: I thought the one secret was the soulsphere pillar but that turned out to be incorrect, it was something else. No chance to kill any of the monsters in the death exit, hence 4 live remaining.

Another unofficial demo entry (needless to say I would participate if I had a streaming setup). I got to E1M7 before dying to what I presume was a Cyberdemon. Was going on pretty good pace too. I stumbled upon the secret level by accident and lucked out of it barely getting to E1M4!

This was a fully blind run (I did read RjY's writeup before going in, but didn't really help my play). I am especially satisfied with my run of E1M9; I'm still not quite sure how I stayed alive there! My heart was going 160 at least.

I think I was faster than Alfonzo in reaching E1M7 but I know it's an unofficial entry. I'm satisfied!

ironcamel-1_naza_unofficial.zip

unofficial attempt

Dead E1M3: I went into a teleporter and became dead.  I'm not even mad; funny trap.  In circumstances like that though, it's a shame there's only one life and have to wait a whole month again for each "sanctioned" ironman event.

noisy_DODEAD_ironman.zip