Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starkiller

Do you ever imagine about the Doom Marine's past?

I always wonder what the Doom Marine's past life was before he goes through the events of traveling from Phobos, Deimos, and to Hell, Earth, and back again. I know that he assaulted a commanding officer, but there is probably more to his past. 

Do you have any thoughts on the Marine's past?

The only thing known about the Doom marine's life prior to the events of the Doom games is that he was stationed on the Mars base in the first place because he had assaulted a superior officer who ordered him to fire upon innocent civilians. In Doom 3, on the other hand, it is specified that the player has been sent to Mars as a replacement for another marine lost in the operations. The two back stories are not necessarily contradictory.

In the introductory story for TNT: Evilution, the Final Doom manual claims the marine is part of the United States Space Marine Corps, a play on the nonfictional United States Marine Corps.

It is implied (in Wolfenstein RPG) that the original Doomguy is a descendant of William B.J. Blazkowicz destined to confront and finally defeat the Harbinger of Doom (Cyberdemon), after Blazkowicz had successfully destroyed its left arm and right leg after it had been summoned at Castle Wolfenstein during World War II.

And

The original story and in-game cut scenes by id Software are composed in the second person, suggesting that there is no definable "Doom guy" and that the character simply stands for whoever is incidentally playing the game. John Romero has pointed out the main reason for the lack of a name for the game character by stating the following: The less you know about him, the more likely you as the player will feel free to invent your own personality for him. There was never a name for the DOOM marine because it's supposed to be YOU.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom's_protagonist

Works for me.

In other words, no, I don't imagine a backstory for Doomguy.

Yeah, me as the Doomguy, I can add my situations of my life prior becoming a Marine and the an UAC janitor before the events of Doom, now the Doomguy as a character, he has been an alternate universe William Blazkowicz that never faced the Nazis in WW2. But you as the Doomguy, you actually faced the Nazis in 1992 ;)

30 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Yeah, me as the Doomguy, I can add my situations of my life prior becoming a Marine and the an UAC janitor before the events of Doom, now the Doomguy as a character, he has been an alternate universe William Blazkowicz that never faced the Nazis in WW2. But you as the Doomguy, you actually faced the Nazis in 1992 ;)

Funny really, I always considered the Doomguy a distant relative to Blazkowicz, because their status bar face looks similar. Same with Ranger from Quake. 

I first played Doom in 2008 and played Wolfenstein 3D next year on SNES and realized the protagonist was the same and the one. You know SNES Wolf3D was censored but I always considered them Nazis lead by a madman called Staatmeister believing himself as a new Hitler, so B.J. was sent to kill him, so to me, this was a prequel to the events of Doom taking place not in WW2. 

Later I realized that Wolf3D was actually made on PC first and it took place in late stages of WW2, unlike the SNES version, then the story didn't match for me anymore at all, that's why I believe him as an alternate B.J. to me.

I've always thought the B.J was going to be the Doom protagonist but maybe Id Software scrapped the Idea due to Doom takes place in the future, so B.J. would be dead.

Edited by Gerardo194 : Subject mistake

He could've committed tax evasion for all we know, but I don't think that'd be accepted as a valid theory.

I imagine the Doomguy, living in his house peacefully, feeding his lovely pet rabbit.

Out of most characters in the games I've played, Quake's Ranger and Doomguy are actually two people about whose past I've never cared much, something I've actually done was this instead, or just imagine something in my head:

17 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

I never put too much thought into it. I guess he just lived the life of a regular marine, though if you really look into his backstory you may find some interesting details but ID never really meant to make a developed character.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:39 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Same.

Guest Unregistered account

He did nothing except feed Daisy

On 6/2/2018 at 1:38 PM, Starkiller said:

Do you have any thoughts on the Marine's past?

No. I always liked the idea of you, the player being the marine. I think it's a concept that has helped Doom as a whole and makes the games stand out more. 

12 hours ago, fl1cksmith said:

I never put too much thought into it. I guess he just lived the life of a regular marine, though if you really look into his backstory you may find some interesting details but ID never really meant to make a developed character.

I doubt, at the time, anyone even ID software could foresee just how famous a Marine our beloved Doomguy would become. So a backstory wasn't really too important. Also as stated in a previous post this is a FPS shooter and YOU are the Doomguy so if you need a story make one up. Otherwise just keep on DOOMING.

Edited by Korozive

No, I never do. I've always seen the Doom marine as just an avatar of yourself. It's the reason I don't believe 'Doomguy' is a character at all. The intermission screens say 'you' and not a character's name. Doom 64 don't even have the face on the status bar. 

One of the best things about Doom is how it allows you to use your imagination with the levels and locations and as if you're really in the helmet experiencing all of this. 

On 6/2/2018 at 6:39 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

And

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom's_protagonist

Works for me.

On 6/3/2018 at 1:39 PM, antares031 said:

I imagine the Doomguy, living in his house peacefully, feeding his lovely pet rabbit.

With all the advancements in Gzdoom, creating a one-off (or two?) -level type of mission (with heavy scripting and the like) based on this back-story would be pretty cool. 

I can only assume that the anger that Doomguy shows throughout the series was caused by some bad events happening when he was younger. Something like, I dunno, getting dumped once or twice, or losing a few family members.

I've imaged something about me, the Doom Marine... I've never thought I'd be fighting the Demons from Hell. 

He never thought that this would be his Doom rather than living a quiet/normal life

19 hours ago, ImpieEyez95 said:

With all the advancements in Gzdoom, creating a one-off (or two?) -level type of mission (with heavy scripting and the like) based on this back-story would be pretty cool. 

I doubt it. What is an example of a Doom wad with a good story? The writing in professionally-made video games is most often mediocre or downright stupid, let alone amateur user mods.

There's a bit of a two-way split in terms of Doomguy's backstory in my head. One version I imagine revolves around in-universe concepts and one is more meta. The in-universe Doomguy always struck me as a more everyman archetype than the beefy, square-jawed mugshot would suggest. He always seemed like someone who got through training perfectly fine, but never really fit in as one of "the boys." Simultaneously, he never struck me as a nice guy, either. He seemed like a completely boring grunt who got to the start of E1M1 via pure luck rather than finesse and wit. Perhaps he had a small habitat for Daisy on Phobos, but I never put much thought into it.

Another part of my mind thinks about Doomguy as a game character. I think of him growing through the pre-release versions of Doom and ultimately becoming an immortal software warrior who is destined to bounce between the original 32 Doom maps and advanced source port sorcery forever. This seems to be a prominent unmnetioned theme in the Doom community, as we collectively drop hints that we think Doomguy is getting more and more grizzled over time and that each new WAD he ventures through is canon to some extent. All the changes in tone and setting throughout the years of modding have almost given Doom a Dr. Who-ish vibe to me because of this.

58 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

@Starkiller I really want to hear about your thoughts about the Doomguy's past, please. Maybe you have something good to share :)

I link to think that Doomguy had a pleasant past, had Daisy as long from his younger day's. Got his training from the military (maybe the marine corps), and recommended by his superiors as a transfer detachment to UAC. He does have a sense of right and wrong, considering he assaulted his NCO over shooting citizens. If he is the same Doomguy throughout Final Doom and Doom 64, then he cares about fellow marines and fighting hellspawn is for the best of mankind. 

That is my rough theory. There's probably more I can come up with about his past. I'm entirely sure his last name is Blazkowicz.

Of course the Doomguy is the same man in Final Doom and Doom64. I know he's even the same In Doom3,  DoomRPG and Doom 2016. I have proof lol 

Good thought about Doomguy's past. When I first played SNES Wolf 3D in 2009, I realized his last name was Blazkowicz and his name was William, I read it in the intermission before the first and sixth missions. Knowing his name was absolutely epic to me, because you can't find it in Doom.

4 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

May we see it? I'm interested.

Of course you guys can!! I could post it here but thought about starting a new thread in order not to derail the thread. Just @Starkiller has the word.