Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Deadly Standards 2: The E2 standard Community Project (ON IDGAMES!)

@Liberation That was my point. The Mayhem tandem project is set to last 1 month, possibly 2 or so, if you include the additional time to playtest and clean up the levels. You would want more time than that for any E2/E3 or E3/E4 replacement tandem project.

I am not suggesting that Walter try to force this CP to completion in 1 or 2 months, whether in tandem or not.

Yeah, i'm more incline with Liberation suggestion of finish this episode first and then thinking about the other 2 episodes project progression...

Also you're not pushing me with finishing faster this episode, but mostly the other mappers will have to push themselves to finish this project faster...

And how many people will join another episode over this one? I know this episode as been filled in A NIGHT with participants, but I wonder if this will happen if I add another one to do togheter with this one...

37 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

And how many people will join another episode over this one? I know this episode as been filled in A NIGHT with participants, but I wonder if this will happen if I add another one to do togheter with this one...

You'd probably fill E4 in 2 hours. Maybe 7 hours for E3. Hell maps and the orange sky/Gstone/Metal combo that everybody loves. People will be busting your door down. :)

Are cyberdemons on the table for this project?

EP1 ended with a fight with multiple cyberdemons, so they have already been revealed.

I assume the spidermastermind is off the table and will be revealed in e2m8.

Just wanted to know if I need to plan the map differently than what I am currently thinking.

56 minutes ago, Saint_Guy said:

Are cyberdemons on the table for this project?

EP1 ended with a fight with multiple cyberdemons, so they have already been revealed.

I assume the spidermastermind is off the table and will be revealed in e2m8.

Just wanted to know if I need to plan the map differently than what I am currently thinking.

I don't known if Spectre01 wants to use a spider mastermind in E2M8, anyway i created a little map for testing in the early days of creating rules and such, since i've remembered (wrong) that the episode can be beaten also killing a spider mastermind (at least in vanilla doom), but that is impossible since the level just keeps going, but not with any number of cyberdemons you put in your level...

But cut out with these stupid digressions, but yeah, you can put cyberdemons in your map! Just don't exagerate, please...

Challenge is ok, but don't turn this into slaughterfest territory...

nice, I assumed so but I wanted to get confirmation.

He better put a spidermastermind in e2m8. So when EP3 comes around people can use the entire doom cast.

As are the rules of Doom 1. 

@Saint_Guy All monsters and weapons were allowed from the start of E1, and there was a Mastermind in e1m7 of the previous set. So you should be free to use all the Doom 1 enemies/weapons. 

As as for my e2m8, it's going to be Cyberdemon-focused. The map slot also has a special function where it ends after the death of all Cyberdemons.

I wonder how it will work, since the level ends when you kill all the cybies... A Dehacked trickery like the one in deadly standards?

Shouldn't be an issue. Regular exit mechanics work too. I could simply have the last Cyberdemon near the end of the map.

So, as mapping is progressing, I'll send out another invitation to get original music for your maps. Hit me up if you would like a track! :)

Had a chance to sit down and play through your map @Walter confetti , here is a ~45 minute long FDA: e2thing-S01-FDA.zip

Very cool map. It's absolutely massive, with tons of secrets, and progression which makes you think. Some interesting detailing too and plenty of variety in the scenery and layout. If there is anything to suggest, I guess it was a bit too laid back in the combat department. Maybe a few of the major traps could be slightly meaner. Also, most of the enemies were low-tier E1 dudes. Maybe adding a few more Cacos/Barons and including more RL gameplay would spice things up? I didn't find many rockets in general, aside from that secret that gave a few boxes. Getting lost can potentially be an issue, and the teleporter leading to the final area was one of the more obscure bits of progression.

Also, I'm trying to go the "magnum opus" route with my map, so it may take a couple of months to deliver something playable.

3 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Also, I'm trying to go the "magnum opus" route with my map, so it may take a couple of months to deliver something playable.

Phew! And i thought i was the one taking forever!

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Seeing as how your slot is E2M8, a "magnum opus" type epic makes sense.

And from the author of "Skindustrial Sector 04" from Slaughtermax, it will be interesting to see how this map turns out.

@Capellan 3 crates don't make a crate maze :-)

Anyway, progress report from myself. @Crunchynut44 Has blitzed some very nice additional areas to my original map and I'm half way through my final areas, then its onto thing placement. RL has caught up with me, so progress has slowed down a tad. But its in the works and looking nice!  

The map itself is small/medium and is a ruined/corrupted E2 tech base with cave sections, some areas get more trashed as the player enters them again, so hopefully should be a nice e2m1 to get things going.

Hey everyone, i'm dropping out. After a month of tinkering (read: unsalvageable disjointed rooms, messy attempts at drawing a layout), i personally feel that i'm not ready for a community project yet. I'll be giving this slot to @riderr3. Sorry :/

@Catpho

That's too bad. :/ I'm sure you can make a simple Ultimate Doom map at least. Do not plan to make a big or a very detailed level if you're learning to map , it may be very frustrating. Just think about the gameplay first. I made my very first map in a speedmapping community project in order to have some quick reviews , it helped me a lot.

There is no deadline, take your time gathering some ideas you find interesting. Playing wads always give some inspirations but I also recommand you to closely look the maps from the second episode of UD on Doombuilder. I always steal take some ideas from mappers I like when I feel uninspired. Don't feel ashamed if you don't manage to make an impressive architecture or if you take a while making a single room for now. For a beginner , just make something simple but try to experience various things with linedef's actions , textures... It's not a very demanding project so errors are allowed.

Edited by Roofi

@Catpho

I agree with Roofi.

I understand your hesitance, especially being early in your mapping career and putting yourself under the presence of being in a community project that will receive scrutiny. I get it. That being said, I don't think you should give up just yet. This CP has been in existence for less than 1 month. The E1 replacement took 11 months, so there's a lot of time left. If you're unhappy with what you've got so far, delete it and start with a fresh, blank screen. (I know, I know, the tyranny of the blank page.) Take your time, get some ideas, then sit down and start working in whatever way works best for you. Take it slow, this isn't a speedmapping content, you've got time.

The good news is that you are not alone. @riderr3 has agreed to collaborate with you, and he/she has made a number of maps, both as standalone maps or as part of community projects. So use that experience. PM riderr3 with WIP and get feedback. Go back and forth with ideas. I think you can post WIP on this thread and get feedback the rest of us, too. This CP is not a contest to see who can make the best, most epic Ultimate Doom Episode 2 map ever. So, use the expertise and thoughts of those around you.

Another thing you have going for you is that your map is the secret map, so the percentage of players who will see it is lower than if you had, say, the E2M1 slot. You don't have as many restrictions on secret maps, so you can feel a little less inhibited. You really are free to make just about anything you want.

If you still want to drop out as the primary author, I encourage you to remain involved as a collaborator with riderr3 (if that would be OK with him/her) on the E2M9 map.

Also, if you want experience without too much stress, I also encourage you to participate in the Doomworld Mega Project and Doomworld Omega Project. Both of those CPs allow entry by anyone without judgement, so you can get feedback on your work without fear of someone saying, "Oh, that mapset was great, except for THAT map." All levels of mappers are welcome in either project, provided you work within the rules of the projects (which aren't terribly restrictive).

@Catpho

That's a shame, i was curious to see what you were building. Roofi's right about taking a small break to gather some ideas about the theme of your map and making something simple. Don't worry too much about planning your map from beginning to end, improvise, play with the shapes and eventually you'll have something you're happy to include, it might take some time at first, but as you get experienced you'll get better at it

Don't get discouraged, have some fun and don't be afraid to ask for some help or feedback on your map.

I'm with the other guys there @Catpho, keep it up with your map and don't get discouraged, from what i've seen your map looked promising! Did you showed what you made to @riderr3 so he / she / it can help you with unblocking your mappers block doing it's part of the map (you know, that's what a collab map is, after all...) 

But if you don't want to work anymore on this project i'll be ok with that and going to give the spot just to riderr3, and if you 2 didn't want to map for this anymore i'll give this slot to another mapper...